PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane for Tar Devil

Hwyl
09-06-2006, 07:57 AM
I grew up in Snowdonia. Often walking in the mountains, you'd be surprised by a plane flying lower in the valley than you. They'd be pushing the speed of sound, so you would not hear the coming.

I tried throwing stones at them, but always missed.

They were Gnats in those days, this is a Tornado

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42038000/jpg/_42038744_tornado416300.jpg

geeman
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
YA HWYL,Here in the mtns of Tenn, they used to fly through the vallies here, I guess they were practicing bomb runs,dont know for sure.But it was interesting to be standing in our parking lot of our condo and watch a fighter fly through the cow pasture below us ,then just as he got very close to the mtn at the end of the run, pull up and like a flash he was verticle and screaming for altitude.It was cool watching them do that.Until the night one crashed at the start of his run,,,,.They stopped doing it for years after that,they do it some now but not as much as they used to.

Tar Devil
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks, Hwyl.

Tornado seems to be a good stick, versatile platform. Rolls engines, variable geometry wing, thrust reversers, stout undercarriage.

When I was a teenager, the F4 Phantom often surprised us screaming through the IR routes near our ski club.

The British bought a few Phantoms, IIRC... wanted their Rolls engines in them, though, which didn't work very well.

Later,

Phil

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-06-2006, 10:25 AM
wanted their Rolls engines in them, though, which didn't work very well
Very very true. I grew up in a military low flying area in the south of Scotland - small cobby compact valleys between lowish (1300ft) hills and its often enough I've looked down on aircraft - Vulcan B2, Hunter, F111, F4, Bucaneer S2.
To the south of us was the border which runs along a ridge and with it the northern end of the "Pennine Way" and to the south of the border the "Otterburn Ranges" a couple of hundred square miles of sheep and squaddies.

The fliers were supposed to leave a couple of hundred feet between the ground and the plane.... but they'd crest that ridge with very little in hand.

My favourite tale came from an RF4C pilot from Alconbury (USAF) who had been flying up a Welsh valley at the official 500ft - when they were passed (undertaken?) by a flight of R.N. phantoms (F4K iirc).

Popeye
09-06-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.amxfiles.com/stoneji/97trip/tlh03_detail.jpg

road sign in Labrador

Meerkat
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Tornado is a much cooler a/c than the Phantom. I'd like to see a Phantom try to take off on a grass strip! :D

Phantom was a good plane (aside from too much visible exhaust) that came along at the wrong time. Ground pounding in a supersonic interceptor just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A-10's would have been better in 'nam even if the AF hates them like death.

Tar Devil
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
A-10's would have been better in 'nam even if the AF hates them like death.

Odd... everyone who used the A-10 (or the ground troops who counted on it) loved it. The only ones who didn't like it were the Bean Counters in Washington.

Later,

Phil