PDA

View Full Version : Dying dogs v. dying cats

ishmael
09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Chad's thread got me thinking. I've lost one of both, and losing Sheba was much harder. I hated losing Shadow the cat, called to him for weeks and went to every report of a sighting. But losing Sheba was as close to losing kin as I can imagine.

Dogs engrain themselves in a way cats don't. It's a different kind of affection. Losing Shadow wasn't a big suprise. He was an outdoor kitty in a fairly wild place. Losing Sheba was horrible, what I imagine losing a child is like, with the added emotion that I had to decide.

George.
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Dogs are social animals. So are we. Cats are solitary animals. No comparison.

geeman
09-05-2006, 11:16 AM
We have and have had both dogs and cats.Dogs fall in love with their owners.Cats will tolerate you but cats are in love with themselves over all.Their world is based on "whats in it for me"

LeeG
09-05-2006, 11:19 AM
then there's dying fish.

brad9798
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Big leap comparing a mutt to a child with regard to loss ...

I can appreciate the innocence of that emotion, Jack, I really can ... but in all reality, I'd kill every dog in the world to get my daughter back!

Not to stir it up, but just you give you perspective of someone who has lost both ...

:)

ishmael
09-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Brad,

Point taken. I said like, or the closest I can imagine, but I'm sure it's different and more difficult burying a child.

We who don't have kids put much of our same energy toward animals. They are our kids. A favored dog, someone who's been with you years, when you have to put them down is pretty tough. Watching a child die, a different category.

paladin
09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
dogs have friends...cats have staff....

ishmael
09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I've posted this before, but I love it.

Churchill, in his wilderness years when he was on the farm building brick walls and painting amateur paintings, is quoted: "Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, pigs see us as equals". A wry observation.

I don't think Catawumpous exactly looks down on me, but she surely doesn't look up to me. I make sense in her plans because I treat her well. I put up with the cat demeanor, the lack of excited devotion, because she has other virtues. Not a bad equation.

There's nothing like a devoted dog to tell you--no matter what a reprobate ****e you are--it's okay, I still love you.

orphan314
09-05-2006, 06:47 PM
My 14 year old Collie (and lofting board hold down clamp) died a year ago last X-mass. It hit me much harder than any Girlfriend/wife leaving me.

But I do love cats .... they taste just like chicken !!:)

pipefitter
09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
The whole thing that made divorce not so bad ,when thinking how crappy things were and not being to imagine anything worse,was the thought being the one thing worse, would be something happening to one of the kids. All of a sudden,things seemed not so blight and was careful to count my blessings. I didnt have it so bad afterall and life went on and my kids are still much alive.

My dog died and I was tore up a bit for about 2 weeks and swore to never get another and along comes this flea bag I have now that is insistant we are going to be pals for life.He's sure to put me through it again when he passes and I know this and it's gonna suck.I didn't ask for him,noone else could take him because of his breed and all the stigma attached. He had taken down his previous neighbors cow and bull mastiff and the neighbor told the guy,get rid of him or he would press charges.Someone I figured had beat this dog to within inches of his life on more than one occasion. Now he has a great life and even though he's going to break my heart eventually,I couldn't deny him. On the other hand,there isn't many occasions where you get the honorary task of getting to say goodbye to an exclusive best friend. So again,it's just one of those times you get to count the blessings.

cs
09-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Losing a pet is never as bad as losing a family member or even a good friend.

Losing dogs or cats can be tough. In the case of Sam, she was 16 years old and had lived a good life. In her later years she started having a tough time of it. She lost several teeth and wasn't eating as well and was just about wasting away to nothing. She went from weighing over 15 lbs in her prime to barely weighing in at 5. She got special consideration with food and a place to sleep. It was almost a releif to see her not suffer anymore.

Biggest suprise was when she went to the vet and he said he expected her to live another 4 years and than she died within 2 days.

Chad

Popeye
09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
sometimes when i'm feeling tired , i go to bed and then when i get up the next morning , i'm no longer tired

geeman
09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
MOST TIMES when I'm feeling tired, I go to bed and when I wake up,,,, I'm still tired

Ken Hutchins
09-07-2006, 06:28 PM
This has to be put in perspective, if the pet is just that a pet, feed it let it out to do it's thing, perhaps occasionally taken for a walk. Most pets are in this category and the loss won't be anywhere as significant as the loss of a family member.
Some people have pets that are vitually like family because they don't have children of their own so the loss of a pet to then is no different than a family member.
Then there are the other class of pets, those who the owners really spent good quality time with, of course to us this is the performance events and in the past we had sled dogs. People who spend time doing things with their pets develope a special bond with them. Believe me the loss of a pet that the owner has spent thousands of hours training and competing with can be devasting. This thread started right when a problem was starting here, BELIEVE me, the past several days in our house have been very bad because we thought we were going to loose our Aeley she got to the point of not being able to walk and almost couldn't even lift her head. A few weeks ago I posted about her being diagnosed with heart desease and we thought her heart had almost totally failed, and her recent problems started on the holiday weekend so her normal vet was not available. Off to her vet Tuesday, a bunch of tests etc. not the heart, she got a bad internal infection the cause of which is still unknown, the good news is with antibiotics SHE IS BACK:) yapping for her meals, running around.:):) Happy days are here again after a few very bad days.:)

ishmael
09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm glad Aeley is back in the pink. And you're right, a dog you work with, who comes to be intimate because of that work, is different than having a dog as a "pet".

Sheba wasn't highly trained, or coached to any performance, but I worked with her. Dogs need work, even if they are just going to be a companion.

It's the ongoing issue I have with my brother who has a new Lab. He complains about her rambunctious nature. I say put her on lead and do some training. He get's growly when I say that. Well, I'm sorry, a dog needs a modicum. It varies, as with anything, but a few hours of obedience training a week, on lead, is necessary for the vast majority, if they are to be good companions.

I knew a couple in Baltimore. They were friends of my then lover, Rebecca. I had dinner with them a few times, and their house was like walking into a museum. Everything was properly placed, well dusted. Their poor pup, a nice, very well selected cocker spaniel, lived in the basement, and was only allowed in the main house for brief visits.

Very sick people. Some people should NOT have dogs.