PDA

View Full Version : What bolts for bronze chain plates?

Byron Douglas
09-04-2006, 04:00 AM
I have had some very nice bronze chainplates cast a year or so ago and would like to install them on my boat that I am restoring. Stainless steel bolts aren't going to look very nice with these bronze chainplates but are readily available - I have four to install on my 21ft boat. Someone suggested to me to use silicon bronze all thread with domed nuts on the outside. It would look nice (if I can get them) but is this the best way to appraoch this issue?

sdowney717
09-04-2006, 06:37 AM
keeping the metals the same will keep the galvanic battery from causing corrosion.

A search for bronze bolts shows these.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=bronze%20bolt&page=GRID&history=

Byron Douglas
09-04-2006, 08:23 AM
thanks for that - it is really helpfull to have the assistance of others on the forum. Sounds like keeping the metals the same is the go!

Ken Hutchins
09-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Well if you want to have a smooth outside surface use SB carriage bolts,:) but if you want to make sure no one will want to raft up to your boat use ordinary nuts and leave an inch or two of thread exposed.:D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Silicon bronze bolts are not that exoensive. IIRC the ones holding my chain plates on were 7 each, and they are 7/16" x 7" with domed heads, nuts on inside.

Garth Jones
09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
A source for SB hardware I found when I was building my boat was BoltDepot.com. Their prices seem reasonable and they are willing to sell small quantities - for example, I needed two long bronze machine screws ($12 each) and they sold me two. I'm sure there are other good sources (I don't work for BoltDepot!) but I thought I'd pass along my experience.

Definitely keep the metals the same - no galvanic problems and it looks much better....

Cheers,
Garth

Byron Douglas
09-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys - I'll go hunting for some SB bolts - you have all inspired me to find some!!