PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making a "treasure map" for the kids

Phillip Allen
09-02-2006, 08:39 AM
I recently began teaching my 13 and 7 year old granddaughters how to use a compass and intend to get around to making a treasure map for them but haven't decided what to hide yet...or much else except the making of some sort of map. Most women I know can't read a compass or give directions except from the egocentric point of view of lefts and rights...

Any ideas?

Paul Girouard
09-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Buy um a GPS, save all the trouble assoicated with teaching kids . What they do when the batteries go dead , well just hope your not with um then:D

Phillip Allen
09-02-2006, 08:53 AM
It is incumbent on all grampaws to teach his grand children many diverse things like compasses and spittin...phhhhhhwwwwt!

capt jake
09-02-2006, 09:22 AM
A little off topic:
I used to hide Christmas and birthday presents for the kids. Started off with a note that would direct them to one place. When they got there, another note to direct them to yet another. On and on. They loved it, great fun. :) The present was usually very near to their starting place. :)

ishmael
09-02-2006, 09:30 AM
One of my fondest memories of childhood is a summer treasure hunt. Clues, compasses, maps, but no GPS. Go for it granpaw, and leave out the GPS. Let 'em ponder on a compass and a map for awhile.

One of the items we had to bring to our final destination in one of the hunts was a live frog. Poor froggies! I imagine that pond has never been the same since.

What wonder, what joy, should be ten years old.

Was it Twain who said no ten year old boy worth his salt doesn't have a frog in his pocket now and then. If he didn't, he should have.

sawcutmill
09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
www.geocaching.com

Phillip Allen
09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
www.geocaching.com

Thanks, good ideas there

rbgarr
09-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Make the hints or directions a challenge in themselves. You can buy blank jigsaw puzzles that can be assembled to show a message. Have two teams compete for time, each doing different sections of the hunt or the same hunt in reverse order. Have them make a phone call from certain places (a store, a gas station, a friend or relative) where there is a clue and have them read it to you in order to get the next clue, etc. A good college friend created a hunt for a bunch of us on my birthday and we drove all over Boston seeking out clues. Very imaginative and fun.

For young children, the stores that cater to teachers and sell little prizey or educational things are great places to get the stuff they'll like to hunt for and find. A number of years ago I got bags of smooth, melted glass blobs in red, blue and green. I drove the in-laws north before the children were out of school for the year. I scattered the 'gems and jewels' all over the sandy cove in front of the house. When the kids arrived and started finding them, it became 'the summer of the treasure hunt'. The blobs still show up from time to time and a new set of children that moved in nearby find them.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Fun...ain't it!

ishmael
09-03-2006, 08:17 PM
If you've got a frog pond around have 'em catch a frog. That was one of the most entertaining and hilarious episodes in my treasure hunts. We were in teams, and the teams arrived at the frog pond around the same time. A finer bit of hilarity would be hard to invent. It was a small, shallow pond, and kids did everything but sell their souls to catch one of the slippery frogfaces, before heading to home plate. A little hard on the frogs, but I think they survived. We were a wet, muddy, mess.

We did this at early night. Darkness adds a very nice touch.

bamamick
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
(the treasure map thing). Why didn't I think of that with my kids? That could have been so much fun when they were little.

Great idea, and let us know what they find?

Mickey Lake