PDA

View Full Version : Cat ears

ishmael
09-02-2006, 06:40 AM
When I took catawumpous to the vet a few months ago one thing I neglected to have him check was her ears. She seems just a little bothered by her ears. When I rub them, you can tell it's a relief. She's on a monthly med that says it takes care of ear mites.

What else? I think it might just be the biters we have around here. The deer flys seem to have run their course, but the skeeters are still active. She spends twenty hours of every day outside, and her ears are vulnerable; the one place on her that isn't heavy in fur.

She just came in, smelling of the wood and the field. Out all night. She jumped up, gave me a little sugar, ate, and now she's off to find a place for a nap. Such a hunter. There was the rump and tail, the two hind legs, of a chipmunk on the stoop yesterday morning.

Phillip Allen
09-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Ear mites...common with cats

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Are you using the ear drops Ish?
Because your cat is an outside cat she might need it more often.
Same with flea meds.
Bugs and pollen this time of year drive Fat Bob and I crazy.
He's so stinky most bugs leave him alone during the rest of the year.

ishmael
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
No drops Kevin, though the stuff I'm using for fleas is supposed to take care of mites. I kick myself for not asking the vet to have a peek. Her ears do seem to be bothering her.

pipefitter
09-03-2006, 01:31 AM
If you look in her ears and see something that looks like spent coffee grounds....it's time for the drops and the swab.Wear multiple layers of dense clothing. :)

My dog is prone to earmites and I have to use a rinse to get all the crud out first and then drops and this is a twice a day process and the stuff smells horrid much like rotten beer.

MattL
09-03-2006, 03:47 AM
The problem with cat and dog ear cannales is they are deep and kind of curvie and you might not see anything. When they look in the vet pulls the ear to straighten out the cannal a little. try a sniff, if there is an infection you might smell something other than normal cat smell. Cats are just cool, we have an outside cat that tolerates us so long as we feed it-when we first got it he would follow the kids like a puppy, and a house cat that lives on the bed or sofa. The only time it moves is if the kids have freinds over, then it really scoots.

ishmael
09-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Cats are okay by me. Like all creatures, they vary in temperment. I had one once that had few virtues but her physical beauty. She was a gorgeous animal, but mean as a barrel of rattlesnakes.

This one is beautiful also, and much more pleasant to be around. She has just the right amount of "cat friendly". Not too much, I don't like a cat that's in your face all the time. We stay out of each other's way, she does her business outside, and occasionally we meet for a little sugar. Pretty, small girl cat, a calico. Not a true calico, what's the other color pattern, similar?

Her paws, polys, which gave her her name because they make her run slightly askew, never cease to amuse me. The front ones look much like a 1960 era baseball catcher's mitt. I imagine they're part of what makes her a terror with the mouse clan. If I were mister mouse I wouldn't want to see her coming.

It sounds like if this keeps up I may have to visit the vet again. I'll try the smell test. I'd forgotten that. I haven't noticed any foul smells, and she's right by my face most every day. Thanks for the advice.

George Ray
09-03-2006, 07:54 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p28936c6379019f0be409d97de83ec80a/edbb9439.jpg

but CAREFUL what you say about cats!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p8ce49295a257d157e201410b7bf03ae6/edbb6ee0.jpg

me and the boys are watching/listening
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/pc4bfd618baa43929192f79ee4cd2ba2c/edbb944e.jpg

but don't get the wrong idea, I am a sensitve gal and a good listener
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p470fe2898cf514db3fa1e113d59afe17/edbb9455.jpg

meanwhile, I got to go
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p4f6876e26ccaf19b4768975b809f9ef1/edbb6edd.jpg

and take a nap, (just resting my eyes)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p12e273e80cb3c25c64498f8c1486f8a4/edbb6f1f.jpg

cause soon I will have to get up
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p172a30f31c7b3c5515a947630ee3e194/edbb6a80.jpg

and stand watch
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p8ece573f564bdc4ede51308a2f86ebed/edbb6a75.jpg

ishmael
09-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Giggle. Nice pics.

Not to lecture, but you really shouldn't have a cat loose in a car. Even the most even-tempered can get squirrely.

Wumpous had clearly been to the vet's before, she has a spay scar, but the trip was a bit of a trial.

I like my new vet, how he handled her. You can just tell about some people. When he vaccinated her for rabies I asked if I could help him hold her. He said, nup, you gotta go home with her. He had her controlled and shot in fifteen seconds. A professional. He obviously likes animals.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2006, 08:30 AM
When traveling with cats, I always let them loose in the truck cab. They either sleep in my lap or on the dash or draped over my neck...I maintain control of my vehicle in all cases

JimD
09-03-2006, 08:35 AM
When traveling with cats, I always let them loose in the truck cab. They either sleep in my lap or on the dash or draped over my neck...I maintain control of my vehicle in all cases

I tried that but Max seems to enjoy curling up around the gas pedal too much:D

ishmael
09-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Your choice. I don't think it a good idea.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2006, 08:52 AM
I tried that but Max seems to enjoy curling up around the gas pedal too much:D

I just stomp on the till they get the idea

ishmael
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM
When I first took critters to the vet, maybe thirty years ago, they shot them in the loose skin of the back, sometimes in the thigh. I talked with this fellow a bit. Some of the vaccines are implicated in cancers, and the protocol now is to give the shots in specific places, so they can do longterm studies.

I didn't vaccinate cat but for rabies. Kinda silly, she's about as likely to contract rabies as my Mazda, but it's a legal requirement. I asked this guy, who's been doing this for twenty years, how many cases of cat rabies he'd seen. Zero, never heard of it.

Tylerdurden
09-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I use this stuff called R7M, Got it at a pet shop in Ellsworth, Works wonders on the shepard and the cats. I have to get my whoring cat
Robert Paulson to the vet to get clipped, I missed the appointment
and she went and had kittens. Luckily My 17 year old son has a collection of girlies stopping by on a regular basis and after 4 weeks they are all spoken for. My dog loves the cat but the little ones harrass him and I don't think he will mind them leaving.

ishmael
09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Sheba had a love hate relationship with Meanie Minnie. Minnie would get under her, and gnaw and claw at her ankles. Minnie was so small the chase ended whenever cat ordered it. Too rough, I'm under the bed. Nanner nanner. Unless it was outside, of course.

Sheba was so sweet, she'd never have killed the blighter. She wanted to sometimes.

They actually had a fine time together. Mostly good fun, and they were great to watch. Never a hard encounter.

P.S. I'm using Revolution. It seems to do a good job on the fleas. I smelled her ears when she came in an hour ago, and they smelled as sweet as a cat's ears ever do. I suspect she's just getting bitten by skeeters.

Tristan
09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
At night, when our killer Welsh Terriers are caged, we let the cats in. My son's cat has started sleeping with me, lots of purring, I figure the vibrations are probably healing all my old age ailments. My daughter's cat sleeps with my son, sometimes both cats are with me. The two cats hate each other, I am occasionally awakened by loud hissing when one gets too close to the other. There's a little tortoise shell kittie that hangs around the front yard, apparantly feral. This kitty hates and fears me, hisses at me when I try to make nice. Can't get close enough (and probably not a good idea anyhow) to pet him, but he will allow me to leave a little bowl of food out for him, poor little skinny guy. PS Great photos George! edited to correct spelling.

pipefitter
09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
There is a tailless cat that frequents by here sometimes that I have nicknamed "fat bastard". It reminds me of Oscar the grouch from sesame street as probably the most unruly self kept cat I have ever seen.He's not filthy,just nappy and he doesn't comb his fur apparently.I have caught him asleep in the back yard and been close enough to touch him but never have. Just a wakeup to let him see me having gotten so close is priceless.

ishmael
09-03-2006, 09:46 PM
It took a month and a half for Wumpous to come close enough for petting. Funny girl. I wonder where she came from. I asked the close neighbors, and she wasn't terribly unkempt.

She was so thankful for a day or two, just loved that I'd adopted her. She's still okay. She's gotten to trust me, and likes good rubs, but isn't nearly so obsequious.

There's a big orange Tom who comes around now. Very skittery. Though I've told him I won't hurt him, I've also told him I won't feed him. He's a scoot. You can tell he's lonely. He visits for company.

Tristan
09-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Cat not grooming? Two thoughts. They often don't groom when sick, and they do get feline leukemia and feline aids. The latter they can live with in fairly good health. Feral cats often lose big chunks of their tongues as they forage out of tin cans. Sadly, it is not uncommon to rip off the end of their tongue on a can lid.

ishmael
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
She's a fastidious groomer, and seems healthy as a proverbial horse. I think she's getting nibbled on outdoors and her ears itch.
When the deer flies were active I would occasionally see welts on them.

If it keeps up after the change in the weather I'll take her to the vet's and have her ears checked. She's not after them a lot, but they obviously itch.

I had a lengthy conversation with the vet about vaccinations. It's a controversy in veterinary circles just which vaccinations to give and how often. Some studies have shown that they are often overused, can tax the immune system, and in some cases there are clear links with injection site tumors.

For years it was routine to just give all of them every year, but they apparently can last much longer than that and overuse can be harmful. The vet seemed smart and current on it, and didn't encourage me either way. He told me it was a toss up.

Thanks for the thoughts. Taking care of our fuzzy friends is important. They give so much with their glad grace and simple animal friendship.