PDA

View Full Version : Let's thumb our nose at the oil barrons.

ishmael
08-31-2006, 05:18 PM
The alternative sources catch attention these days. I heard the Wyoming governer the other day saying he could make thirty dollar a barrel out of his coal and oil shales. There are thousands of square miles of the stuff. Why aren't we doing this, in national emergency speed? As ugly as it is, oil is our life's blood. To say, good luck Israel, good luck king Faud, bye bye Mr. Chavez, would be a healthy thing.

John of Phoenix
08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Why aren't we doing this, in national emergency speed?

You're not serious?

geeman
08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
I hope he already knows why,,

botebum
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Screw this- go to a good hurricane party!

Doug

geeman
08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
I contacted several people around here in the Smoky Mtns, no ones having a hurricane party around here,,,,,,,

ishmael
08-31-2006, 05:54 PM
I am serious, why aren't we doing this? Looking strategically, it makes absolute sense. To think the largesse of easy oil out of the Saudis is the madness.

The Japanese went to war with us over oil. They looked at the situation, Roosevelt had cut off their oil, and they said this isn't sustainable. We either go to war or wither on the vine.

Why not nip it, by being self-sufficient again? It's right there, let's use it.

geeman
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
One reason is theres still too much money to be made in oil for the oil barrons.See other posts in threads about Greed

High C
08-31-2006, 05:56 PM
I am serious, why aren't we doing this?...

Momentum.

The tin foil hat crowd will cry "conspiracy". :rolleyes:

Meerkat
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
A smart policy is to use up the other guy's oil before using the last of your own. At least when I was in HS, back in the 60's, that was said to be US policy in fact.

Rick Clark
08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
One reason is theres still too much money to be made in oil for the oil barrons.See other posts in threads about Greed

Now that's the truth!!!:(

botebum
08-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Serious Hurricane Parties are the best kind!

Doug

John of Phoenix
08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Look at the White House! You think those guys made their bones in the chewing gum business?

Jack you can be such a stooge some times.

geeman
08-31-2006, 06:06 PM
There is another kind of hurricane party?

botebum
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
uh huh

Doug

ishmael
08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
John,

I don't doubt there's all kinds of backrubbing going on, in the Whitehouse and throughout the Congress. But that doesn't mean developing our native resources is wrong. We've got all this coal, and now that oil isn't twenty dollars a pop it makes sense to exploit it.

I wonder if the Wyoming governor was blowing smoke when he made his claims, but I'm quite sure that at seventy dollars a barrel our native sources of this elixer will give the devil his due. If we look to them.

High C
08-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Look at the White House! You think those guys made their bones in the chewing gum business?...

http://www.raptureready.com/photo/tulsa2/z56.jpg

Meerkat
08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
So Ish - this is your latest horse - what are YOU personally going to DO about our dependence on oil?

ishmael
08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
It's a guilt, a sense of shame over our consumerism, that keeps us from obvious solutions.

We should be ashamed. It's ugly. Let's have a collective shame party. But then let's get on about the business that keeps us up and running, oil.

David,

I have a full tank of oil for the furnace. 275 gallons. It will take part of another to keep me through next April. I drive as little as possible, and mow my lawn only ever other Tuesday. I'd prefer not to have a personal vehicle or a lawn at all, but them's the facts. What are you doing?

Meerkat
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Get a push mower or, better yet, a goat. You could actually create some sort of solar heating instead of just talking about it as you have. You have far more options than I.

I live in 225 sq. ft. I use, on average of late, 1 tank of gas/month. If I could bike, I would. I use flourescent bulbs.

jack grebe
08-31-2006, 06:54 PM
why would the oil co.'s want to make, say 10%(or whatever it is) on $30 a barrel oil when they can make 10% on $70 a barrel oil? the higher the price, the more they make! and let's not forget, it's the oil co.'s that have all the toys to refine it

ishmael
08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
I tried a push mower. I hope I can get fifty bucks for it at a yard sale.

I just bought another rotary power mower. The last one, after many ministrations, an oil change and a polish of the blade, **** the bed. A broken shaft of some kind. I remarked to myself, as I was plowing the field, how silly I was to imagine I could use a push mower on this ground. It's a piece of work with a power mower.

I could live in 250 sq. feet, no lawn, no car, if the place had bookshelves.

huisjen
08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
I brush hogged my "lawn" once this year. I've got a couple oil tanks too. One's empty. The other's for emergencies. There's about eight cords of wood on site to burn this winter, and I'll be cutting more for 07-08.

Now what's all this whining? Why doesn't somebody set up a crash program to feed Jack's addiction? I think I have this right, but I'm just checking.

Dan

LeeG
08-31-2006, 07:12 PM
You're not serious?

heck yeah,,just don't ask him to go into the details.

ishmael
08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
I assure you, I'm worth the attention.

Silly people. Do you do the Cleese silly walk, too? When he was young he could put his foot over his head while walking. Very impressive.

LeeG
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
but can you put your attention to the topic? You aren't the topic.