PDA

View Full Version : How much camber?

almeyer
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm building a little rocking boat for my grandson. My good wife suggested that it would be a smart idea to give him something to hold on to while rocking. The simplest solution seems to be something similar to a deckbeam mounted in front of the thwart. I'm thinking about laminating the beam out of ash, if I've got enough, to match the rails. Another option would be virola, stained to look like mahogony, which will match the thwart, transom, breasthook and quarter knees. Is there some sort of rule of thumb on how much camber to put in a deckbeam? Any amount would probably work, but I'd like to keep the boat looking traditional.
Thanks for your advice.
Al

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid212/pbffb562965df97923dc37bd731a44875/ed44243c.jpg

donald branscom
08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=almeyer]I'm building a little rocking boat for my grandson. My good wife suggested that it would be a smart idea to give him something to hold on to while rocking. The simplest solution seems to be something similar to a deckbeam mounted in front of the............
quote]

Same curve as strat fretboard. 1 inch in 12 inches.

kc8pql
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I'd match curve on the top of the transom

Bruce Hooke
08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Since this looks like a rowboat a deck beam does not really make much sense so I am not sure that is the best reference point. kc8pql may have the right idea when he suggests matching the curve of the top of the transom. Beyond that, I'd think "decorative cross bar" rather than "deck beam." Make sure it is of a shape and size that is suitable for a youngster to grab onto.

Is there some way you could suggest a couple of oars and make them the cross bar?

Ron Williamson
08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
I installed a 3x3 post,vertically.The post has two horizontal holes bored in it at the right height .Those holes have tapered handles made from shortened windsor chair legs.
The post is braced gunwale to gunwale with a 1 1/2"x1 1/2".
The whole mess looks like a samson post.
R

Steve Lansdowne
08-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Al, have your wife make up a PFD for him just in case he falls out of the "boat." He'll of course want to look just like his grandpappy when in the boat rocking himself to sleep, right?

StevenBauer
08-29-2006, 05:11 PM
The rocking boats I've seen marketed used to have a salty looking ships wheel. Then, not long after, the ships wheel was gone and replaced with an athwartship cleat, like a pair of handlebars. I think there were some liability issues with the spokes of the ships wheel. :eek:

Steven

This one looks safe:

http://www.kidwishes.com/images/rocking/boat_rocker.jpg

almeyer
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was originally envisioning something along the lines of the picture that Steven posted. Bruce is right, "deckbeam" is not the right term, but the construction of what I was was wanting seemed similar to a deckbeam. I like the samson post idea, easy to install and remove later on. After the grandson outgrows the rocker, I was thinking about removing the rockers and mounting two axles with wagon wheels, then perhaps later converting the boat to a toybox. I need the boat to last a while. The grandson will celebrate his first birthday next month (no, the boat won't be done by then, I'm shooting for Christmas). I need this boat to last long enough for him to be old enough, and me to have enough time, for his first "real" boat - probably a Shellback.
Steven brings up a good point about liability. If the little guy has to bang his head, I'd rather it hit a curved rail than a post.
This project is getting more involved as I go, but I'm having fun with it. Besides converting the slab-sided boat shown in the plans to lapstrake, I'm adding some additional trim details. A rudder will be fabricated and added - can't have a boat without a rudder, can you? - and goodwife recently suggested that I make some miniature rope fenders to match the ones on my Penobscot. She'll get a kick out of the suggestion to make him a little PFD. I'll also add a rubrail along the lower edge of the sheer plank and badges fore and aft, again to mimic the Penobscot.
Thanks again.
Al