PDA

View Full Version : small runabout floor

Frank Mehaffey
01-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Let me apologise to the Lyman purists before I ask for the collective wisdom of the Forum. I have a 16.5 Lyman runabout, with a 6 piece wooden plywood floor. The floor rests on the ribs, with 4 pieces in the middle, front and back, and 2 long pieces on the left and right. The floor is a very noisy floor when you hit any kind of chop. The tabs in the keelsom don't really do much to hold the plywood against the ribs. My ribs are in good condition, and I was curious to know if it would be ok to fasten each piece of floor to a rib, with a short stainless or brass wood screw, maybe 4 or 5 for each piece. I have often thought that the 7-8'open section of floor, from the back of the front bench, to the motor well, could use a little more reinforcing. Looking at the Bob Speltz pictures, it looks like some of the older runabout floors were pretty securely fastened, or used slats that ran lengthwise on top of the ribs, for the floor, and to give some more strength.Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Mr. Know It All
01-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Frank.....My 1961 16 ft. Lyman has a frame for the plywood floorboards and everything was fastened with bronze screws. I have some pics I can e-mail you if you send me your e-mail addy.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Rocky
01-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Just enough to keep them in place. Sometimes you need to lift them on the water to clean out dirt and check for leaks.

bob goeckel
01-15-2003, 11:51 PM
i'm with buster, onc't you fasten it down you tend to forget about it. in a lyman that's asking for it.