PDA

View Full Version : glueing green wood

gert
08-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Can you laminate green wood using epoxy?

I have to build a couple curved bridge beams about 8' long for the garden and I have some treated 4x6 Hemlock left over; I was thinking of just ripping then on the band saw to about 1/2", no planing, and glue them back together with lots of screws. Its only a pedestrian bridge and will be placed in a fairly protected area.

Bob Smalser
08-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Can you laminate green wood using epoxy?

I have to build a couple curved bridge beams about 8' long for the garden and I have some treated 4x6 Hemlock left over; I was thinking of just ripping then on the band saw to about 1/2", no planing, and glue them back together with lots of screws. Its only a pedestrian bridge and will be placed in a fairly protected area.

No. Epoxy needs 12% EMC and likes under 10% better. Resorcinoil needs 15%, high temperatures and serious clamping presssure.

I have found excellent success with liquid poly and green wood, but in your application PL Premium poly construction adhesive would be best, IMO.

Also make sure you soak the assembly heavily after glueup in copper napthanate, as cutting that PT hemlock exposes much untreated wood.

donald branscom
08-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I would use PL 400 subfloor adhesive available at most hardware stores.
It says on the tube that it can glue frozen lumber!!

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
08-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Are you talking about GREEN as in not dry (wet) or green as in pressure preservativce treated with a greenish preservative?

Wet wood can not be glued with any adhesive as far as I know. Certianly not resorcinol.

Pressure preservative treated wood can be glued but it depends upon the treatment type, adhesive, and lumber species.

Andreas - gluing wood for a living

RonW
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Why glue anything? If you are only spanning 8 ft. and using 4 x 6 's, then simply stand the 6 inch side upright, which is only 5 & 1/2 inches and cut a 3 inch arch on it. That is plenty strong enough for a 8 ft. long foot traffic garden bridge, or do you want to be more dramatic and have a big roll to it.
For a bigger roll, pick up 3 - 2 x 10's and cut a 6 inch arch on the top, one at each end and one in the middle, if this is a little 5 foot wide foot bridge. Save the 4 x 6 's for another project.

DavesFlatsBoat
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
PL Premiium is the answer for this task. Loves a little moisture!