PDA

View Full Version : measurements

GraemeT
08-08-2002, 05:23 AM
an old family boat 28' long, carvel construction and in a very sad way, is being rebuilt by a boat builder in Paynesville Victoria Australia.
i want to take a profile of the boat to draw up plans, with the view of maybe one day buiding a copy. is there a tried and proven method of taking a profile.

Russ
08-08-2002, 05:45 AM
There was a really interesting article in the last (I think) issue of WB about taking lines off using a construction laser level. Seems to me that this would work very well and accurately. I guess the big issue with this method is to have the boat level and plumb before starting.

I'm fairly certain that there is some traditional way of doing it but haven't a clue what it is.

ken mcclure
08-08-2002, 10:05 AM
John Gardner also talks about taking off lines in his book Wooden Boats to Build and Use. Look in the WoodenBoat Store for it, or check local suppliers. Duckflat Wooden Boats in Aus. may be able to find a copy.

Bayboat
08-08-2002, 05:19 PM
The subject of taking off lines is treated very thoroughly in "Boats: A Manual for Their Documentation." Paul Lipke, Peter Spectre, Benjamin A. G. Fuller, editors. The American Association for State and Local History and The Museum Small Craft Association. Nashville, 1993. ISBN 0-942063-17-1. For availability write to the Museum Small Craft Association, c/o Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, CT, 06355.

Mike Field
08-08-2002, 07:19 PM
Would the builder be our friend James F by any chance, Graeme? If so, you might find he can do it for you.