PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Moved Today

Concordia..41
05-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Some of you know that Margo and I bought Sarah almost two years ago. She has been in the same place in the yard since four days before we became her slaves.

Well today she moved, not to a different place in the yard, but straight up 10 ". Yes after all the talk, planning and everything else - today Nicki Xynides - the owner of the yard and I jacked Sarah up. Margo will post pics as soon as she finds out. She is on her way back from Freeport BS helping friends bring there boat back. I did not go and I can,t post pics. I did take some.

With all the planning, building the jack bars, getting wood blocks and plywood, moving jack stands, I still was not really ready. Had to get 5/8" rebar to brace the back jacks on jack bar - also a welder. Had to make a trip to home dred pow
for 4X4's. When you think you have enough jack stands, you don't. When you think you have enough blocks, you don't. When you think your plan is going well, it isn't, and you think you are going to melt from the 96 degree heat --- you already have.

All in all everything went well with no damage to the boat. Jack and block operators have a few places that may or may not still be bleeding. The cold beers between two friends at the end of a long and hot day -- priceless.

Next - remove the ballast (7,800 lbs. of cast iron.) Even this plan has change and we have not even started yet. I hope that this will be another good day and I'm sure with Nicki's help it will be. Will tell the story of Nicki at another time.

Where is Margo when I need this spelled checked?

Dave

Sun over the foreyard

Ed Harrow
05-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Ohhh, makes me twitch just thinking about it... Why not separate the ballast before raising the hull (That being my plan)?

We all make our choices, but on a smotheringly hot day, I love a Black Dog (no, not that Black Dog) Honey Rasberry Ale. The first sip is exquisit; after that it's just beer... ;)

Concordia..41
05-09-2002, 09:20 PM
Ed

It was sitting on the ground, two 2X6 blocks that had sunk into the ground. Remove the cover over the boat and raise with a travel lift that iis not avalible or jack up to get 10" clearance.

Dave

Sun over the foreyard

ken mcclure
05-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Dave, I seem to remember that you were the one who didn't have much to do with the boat work? Looks like Margo's got you roped in but good!

Congrats on the "move." Can't wait for pics.

Wild Dingo
05-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Excellent Dave!

Seee... now youve now absolutely utterly and completely showed Margo that you CAN do it!! :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

Concordia..41
05-12-2002, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I go out of town for a few days and imagine my surprise!!!

Seriously, I stopped on my way into town to say hi to Dave and see how he's getting on and the freaking boat's jacked up.

The biggest operation to date, and they do it without me or my camera!!!! AAArrrrggh!

Dave says he took a couple of pictures. We'll see, and I'll get some more today. If nothing else, we're a good advertisement for jack stands :eek:

Ed Harrow
05-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Details, details. I want details... I may yet be in the same situation (having to lift entire boat before I can remove the ballast). I have ~7" between bottom of ballast and the ground. In that space I have to lay in some skidding/rolling surface, the cradle to contain it, and optimally, something to roll it on.