PDA

View Full Version : Puffin 28

Mike Keers
09-20-2000, 11:02 PM
Hi gang,
Has anyone built, or know of anyone who has built the Karl Stambaugh-designed "Puffin 28" diesel cruiser?

Got the plans, starting construction, wouldn't mind finding out if I'm the first!
Thanx, Mike

wcralle1
01-29-2002, 05:54 AM
Mike,
how are stambaugh's plans to work from?
does he give any construction instructions?
will a first time builder be able to use them?
how is designer support?
regards
william

Mike Keers
01-29-2002, 12:14 PM
My my, never expected to see that post pop up after 15 months or so. First, to see what time has wrought:
http://personal.riverusers.com/~emkay/puffwelcome.html

William, as to your questions, you don't mention if it's Puffin in particular, or just Karl's boats in general you're interested in. He offers dozens of plans, and I only have experience with Puffin. I'm told his other designs are easy to build (relatively speaking), and for at least one he even offers a construction booklet. One or two of his designs are available as kits.

As for Puffin, the plans are older, and I don't think he drew them for an inexperienced builder...there are no instructions (as is normal), and the plans themselves assume a certain level of experience, meaning a lot of details aren't shown. In my opinion, a first time builder might pretty much be stuck--I say this from the perspective of a guy who has built half a dozen boats or more in wood and glass up to 28 feet over the years, and studied hundreds of plans. The plans, the actual building stuff, are very basic, and consist of little more than a Table of Offsets, lines drawing, and a very basic construction sheet. You need to know how to build a boat to use them. By that I mean you need to know how to loft, set-up, how this type of boat goes together.

The boat itself, tho a large project is fairly straight-forward, given much puzzling over plans and details. Karl is helpful to an extent...but he won't hold your hand. He says in some literature neither he nor his plans are there to teach you how to build a boat. Perhaps the newer plans for the more popular designs are aimed at the less-experienced builder, but Puffin, at least, is squarely in the corner with some other old famous designer who said "plans were only to give you the lines, not show you how to build the damn thing...that you know how to build a boat in the first place is your job"-- to paraphrase

That said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from attempting anything, as long as they go in with their eyes open. There are plenty of books out there that can get you going. Glen L. Witt's "Boat Building with Plywood" would prove very helpful for Karl's plywood boats, and I've heard Sam Devlin's book(s?) are good as well. Ian Nicolson's book on "Cold-moulded and Strip-planked Wood Boatbuilding" is informative. And of course all the standard books like Steward's "Boatbuilding Manual"

In the final analysis, I'd hesitate to recommend Puffin for a first-time project, but given enough inspiration, enthusiasm, time and money, and some 'book larnin', it could be built. Hey, we all gotta build our first boat at some point. But you might consider a smaller and less complicated design as your first.

Hope this helps! mk

jeff pierce
01-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Well now Mike,
That's some mighty impressive work you've done. Its about time you filled us in on it. She's gonna be a beauty.

Mike Keers
01-29-2002, 11:41 PM
Thanx Jeff. Now, what can I fill in for you?
Boat's sitting only slightly more completed than the site shows....I think things are pretty well dormant until warmer weather and the next phase, completing the fairing and all enough to roll it over this spring.

Alan D. Hyde
01-30-2002, 09:11 AM
A pretty vessel, Mike, and a good job.

Have you thought of running a few 2 x 4 girts around the shed, stapling on some plastic, putting a cigar heater inside, and working over the winter?

I've done this kind of thing years ago in Maine, and, except for the kerosene smell (which I really dislike) it can work well.
But then, I'm impatient.

Good luck with her.

Do you have a name, yet?

Alan

Mike Keers
01-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Alan,
Thanx for the kudos. I did think of enclosing the shed, but for one, we're in a very high wind area, and it would have to be a bit more than the clear plastic walls I've also used back east for the winter...we get gale force winds blowing thru here pretty regular. For the two months of winter, it hardly seemed worth the engineering and expense to build something durable.

The bigger reason I didn't enclose completely is that after a year straight of ten-twelve hour days, about seven days a week of working on the boat, I figgered I'd force a break on myself and take care of all those honey-do's and other projects...maybe even make a few dollars to finance the next building phase!

As for the name....in a stunning display of imagination, I've tentatively settled on....Puffin. All my life, my boats have been named "Dreamer', Soņador, Dromer (don't have the little line thru the 'O')...in other words, "Dreamer" in one or another language. This represented my lifelong dream to sail around the world. Well, in 2000 I got as close as I'll come in this life, I soloed my 29-footer 3200 miles to Hawaii. Any boating after that is sort of an anti-climax, and I think I've retired the "Dreamer" name....for awhile anyway. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gifNot that I don't still harbor dreams.

Besides, I already carved the nameboard! http://personal.riverusers.com/~emkay/puffsign.jpg

[This message has been edited by Mike Keers (edited 01-30-2002).]

Mike Vogdes
01-31-2002, 10:18 AM
Great site Mike, looks like your doing a real nice job. I was wondering how you managed to work so long and hard on your boat.

Can't wait till you gear up again, the rate your going you will be in the water in no time.

Have you had the opportunity to see Karls newer designs? I like the Little Island Trader and was wondering if the construction methods are the same as the Puffin.