PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Water Referendum

skuthorp
07-31-2006, 03:03 AM
Toowoomba knocks back recycled water plan
Voters in Queensland's largest inland city of Toowoomba have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to add recycled effluent to the city's water supply.
Toowoomba residents were asked to approve a plan to draw 25 per cent of the city's water from recycled effluent.
More than 62 per cent of voters said no to the idea in a referendum today.
Toowoomba's Mayor Di Thorley has tonight rejected calls for her to resign over the issue and is calling on Queensland Premier Peter Beattie to help resolve the city's water crisis.
Cr Thorley conceded defeat earlier tonight.
"It looks like the vote has gone down about 60-40," she said.
"At the end of the day, we still don't have a water project."
Lyle Shelton is one of three councillors who campaigned against the proposal and is encouraged by the early result.
"That's probably about what the 'no' case was expecting," he said.
He says he is confident a new solution to the city's water shortage can be found.

Of course in the medium term they don't have much choice. They don't have water,and there is no other plan. No point in building more dams, they can't fill the one's they've got. Several country towns have none at all, most capital and provincial cities will have restrictions starting in spring after a VERY dry winter at the tail of a 7 year drought. Things are changing allright, it might even force a consideration of a population policy here, something long shied away from. Water and petrol in drought at the same time, not nice.

But compared to the middle east wer'e all bl***y fortunate.

PeterSibley
07-31-2006, 04:01 AM
I reckon Di Thorley should just resign, sit back and watch the No voters solve the problem...

skuthorp
07-31-2006, 04:08 AM
They asked her that, she said "nope, I'm still the mayor, we still haven't got a water plan. Someone has to put their hand up". Got guts. Most amused by a no voter who said he didn't have an alternative, he wasn't interested in anything political!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-31-2006, 04:25 AM
Take a long hard look at London.

PeterSibley
07-31-2006, 04:31 AM
We know PI , the majority of Toowomba's citizens, however, lead a sheltered life.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Don't tell them its re-cycled - tell them that plan B is a system just the same as London England has.

PeterSibley
07-31-2006, 04:41 AM
Should work :D

Ken Hutchins
07-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Always looking for a solution in the wrong place, got to get back to the root cause of the water shortage.:confused:
As I understand it the gov'mt down under raised the taxes on beer to reduce the beer drinking and therefore 'improve' the Aussie image of beer drinking wild people.:D
So as a result people down there started drinking more water so now you have a water shortage.:eek:
Ya see the simple solution is raise the tax on water and eliminate the tax on beer.:D The more beer you drink the more you pee which goes into the ground, eventually filtered by the good earth back into clean water.:D

Meerkat
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm... I had no idea London drank the Queen's pee. :D

brad9798
07-31-2006, 03:25 PM
I thought all water was recycled?

PeterSibley
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it's the length of the cycle that is of concern...it's an emotional block, not a rational one.

WX
07-31-2006, 05:31 PM
I've heard London's water has been through at least 3 bladders by the time it gets to your tap.
Australia is facing a water crisis in many city and regional areas so I don't think it is going to be too far down the track before recycling will become the only option.
The big problem is the no lobby, as soon as they start saying things like, you will be drinking water from hospital waste and morgues, then of course people will jack up over it.
What most people don't realize is most of the time they are already drinking it. The treated sewerage from my nearest town, Uki is up stream from the Murwillumbah water pump out point on the Tweed River.

PeterSibley
08-01-2006, 03:11 AM
I do NOT drink water in Murwillumbah :D unless it has been boiled ( and has coffee,milk and sugar added ).