PDA

View Full Version : Self inflicted paralysis- yeah right

martin schulz
07-27-2006, 06:01 AM
This guy gave a interview to a german TV magazine complaining about the 1,7 million people in China, that have, despite government promise, never gotten their compensation for the Three Gorges Dam project.

I mean - really. Couldn't they come up with a more intelligent lie. Something like plain criminals, robbers or a frustrated husband...anything...but to suggest that Fu Xiancai hit himself at the back of his neck to get paralysed is a bit thick.

No matter how the economy is booming in China, with a lot of western investors getting a "golden nose" we all should keep in mind that China is still far away from respecting human rights.

Officials Conclude Self-Inflicted Injury in Fu Xiancai Case

July 26, 2006

Human Rights in China (HRIC) has learned that the official Chinese investigation into the assault of Three Gorges petitioner Fu Xiancai has concluded that his injuries were self-inflicted. Fu was paralyzed from the shoulders down after a blow to the back of his neck so severe that three of his vertebrae were shattered, and doctors reportedly expect him to never regain use of his legs. Fu Xiancai and his family have questioned the fairness of the investigation from the beginning, as the authority assigned to conduct the investigation reportedly previously sanctioned and colluded in harassment against Fu.

Sources in China told HRIC that on July 26, the head of the Zigui County Public Security Bureau’s forensics department, surnamed Yang, accompanied by police officer Wang Erhu and Yangguidian Village Committee head Wang Yuncheng, summoned Fu Xiancai’s son, Fu Bing, to the Yichang Central PSB dispatch station. Yang reportedly notified Fu Bing of the results of the investigation:

* The PSB had brought in several nationally recognized forensic pathologists to examine Fu Xiancai’s injuries, and these experts had concluded that the injuries were self-inflicted;

* The local PSB had also carried out an investigation of the scene of the attack, and had found no footprints other than those of Fu Xiancai;

* On the basis of this evidence, the PSB concluded that Fu had not been injured by someone else, and that no criminal act had been committed.

Sources say that on the same morning, Zigui County PSB criminal investigations squad leader Hu Xuelong, accompanied by two police officers and Yangguidian Village PSB Division head Wan Xiankui, visited Fu Xiancai in his hospital ward for more than two hours. During that visit, the officials reportedly informed Fu that his injuries had been officially determined to be self-inflicted. They also reportedly told Fu not to appeal this decision or file a new complaint, even though the written “Conclusion of Investigation” given to Fu Xiancai states clearly that he has the right to appeal the decision.

Fu Xiancai’s family members have from the outset objected to the investigation of the assault on Fu Xiancai being handled by the Zigui County Public Security Bureau under the direction of bureau head Jia Li, given that the Zigui County PSB had reportedly been involved in incidents of harassment against Fu:

* Fu had reported at several earlier incidents of harassment and threats in 2005 and 2006 to the Zigui County PSB without result;

* In August 2005, Zigui County PSB head Jia Li and more than 20 others had intercepted Fu and other petitioners when they attempted to go to Beijing;

* A month later, after again intercepting Fu and other petitioners on their way to Beijing, Zigui County officials and PSB officers reportedly stood by and watched as a group of village cadres assaulted Fu and the other petitioners.

According to HRIC’s sources, when Fu Bing again raised the demand that Jia Li should be removed from the case, Yang told him that the authorities had no obligation to respond to family members because they lacked legal standing in Fu Xiancai’s case. Sources say that when Fu Bing asked to be told the names of the forensic pathologists and their institutions, Yang told him that there were many experts involved in the assessment, and that he was under no obligation to disclose their names. Yang also refused to answer further questions about the case.

HRIC is strongly concerned about the independence, accuracy and fairness of the Zigui PSB’s investigation into Fu Xiancai’s assault. The Zigui PSB is abusing its investigatory mandate by unlawfully pressuring Fu Xiancai to forgo any legitimate appeals process and refusing to disclose the experts who determined that Fu could have single-handedly struck himself from behind with such force as to shatter three of his vertebrae. In light of strong international concern and attention to Fu’s case, HRIC calls on the provincial authorities to remove the Zigui PSB’s authority in this case and order a new, transparent and independent investigation.

Background

Fu Xiancai was paralyzed from the shoulders down after suffering a blow to the back of the neck from an unidentified assailant on June 8 shortly after he was called to the Zigui County Public Security Bureau (PSB) for questioning regarding an interview he had provided to a German television station. The attack was the latest in a string of harassment and threats Fu had suffered over the course of more than a year because of his petitioning on behalf of villagers resettled for the Three Gorges Dam project. Fu underwent surgery to shattered vertebrae on June 18 after the German government offered to pay for his medical treatment, but he has regained movement only in his arms.

Phillip Allen
07-27-2006, 06:08 AM
who is next...which side of the oceans? (Waco/Ruby Ridge)

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Edited to remove my response to Phillip because I felt like I was simply being bated by him and I would rather keep the focus on China than let this thread decend into a slug fest over Waco and Ruby Ridge. I encourage others to not rise to Phillip's bate and instead to focus on the original story.

martin schulz
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Thank's a lot Bruce.

I don't even know what Philip was talking about. I figured it must be some local story.

Wild Dingo
07-27-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't even know what Philip was talking about. I figured it must be some local story.

Well... not to rise to Phillips bait Bruce but for an attempt at some clarity for Martin... Even down here we heard of the roucus at Waco Texas and the sect called the Branch Dividians who got slaughtered by their own leader David Koresh and the FBI... FBI entered the Branch Dividians compound illegally and the branch dividians under their meglomaniac leader David Koresh holed up and between the FBI and Koresh most of those inside died along with a couple of agents (IIRC)... and the American Indian trouble at Ruby Ridge was heard albeit to a lesser degree although not as large a number of dead if I recall it was more a "last stand" by the tribe involved... as I say Im not real clear on the whys or hows of Ruby Ridge as the reporting was rather minimal down here.

Carry on! :cool:

Osborne Russell
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd get mad and boycott China but then my home would lack cheap crap.

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
...and the American Indian trouble at Ruby Ridge was heard albeit to a lesser degree although not as large a number of dead if I recall it was more a "last stand" by the tribe involved... as I say Im not real clear on the whys or hows of Ruby Ridge as the reporting was rather minimal down here.

Carry on! :cool:

Just to clarify things before they get out of hand...Ruby Ridge did NOT involve American Indians. You can read one summary of Ruby Ridge here http://www.woodenboatvb.com/www/vbulletin/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Meerkat
07-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Edited to remove my response to Phillip because I felt like I was simply being bated by him Do NOT bat the Hooke - rather bait it! ;)

Nicholas Carey
07-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Well... not to rise to Phillips bait Bruce but for an attempt at some clarity for Martin... Even down here we heard of the roucus at Waco Texas and the sect called the Branch Dividians who got slaughtered by their own leader David Koresh and the FBI... FBI entered the Branch Dividians compound illegally and the branch dividians under their meglomaniac leader David Koresh holed up and between the FBI and Koresh most of those inside died along with a couple of agents (IIRC)Just to clarify things, the Waco thing started when the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, a division of the US Treasury executed a search warrant on the Koresh/Branch Davidian compound. The warrant was obtained on the ground that BATF had evidence that Koresh and crew had illegal weapons (machine guns, hand grenades, etc). The warrant was poorly executed, given what they expected find: a couple of BATF agents were killed.

And given that the BATF agents were fired on with the very items named in the warrant as things to be seized, it appears that the warrant was valid.

In retrospect, BATF might made better choices about how to execute the warrent. Say, go in with 2 or 3 hundred SWAT guys and shut the place down in a hurry.

Once Federal agents were fired on and killed, the only way the situation was going to end peacefully was surrender. And since Koresh wasn't going to do that...

The place got lit up when the Gov't decided to end it. They picked a day when it was hot and dry and the wind was blowing something like 30-40 knots. They they started chucking CS (tear gas) grenades. That's how the fire started. It was basically a F*up.

[And don't even ask why we lump guns with tobacco and booze for regulatory purposes. Or why it's an armed police agency, and a part of Treasury. Makes no sense to us yanks, either :rolleyes: Must have made sense to someone, sometime. Just to make it more confusing, the US Secret Service is charged with enforcing counterfeiting laws and being the president's bodyguard. That part of Treasury, too. Go figger.]

Bruce Hooke
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
To get back to the original discussion (about China), in some ways it feels like much of the world is in a similar position with China as it is with the United States. There are lots of things many people do not like about the way China is behaving. Ditto for the United States, but in somewhat different realms (most of the complaints about China have to do with China's internal policies, whereas most of the complaints about the US have to do with the US's foreign policy). Anyway, to get to my point, China is so big and important that it gets hard to exert much leverage against them without doing almost as much damage to one's self. It is easy to cut ties with little countries like Cuba (of course doing so hasn't done much to change the regime there), it is much harder to cut ties with a country as important as China.

Meerkat
07-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Goodness! Don't mess with the great WalMart of China! :eek:

Phillip Allen
07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Bruce, you were talking about the thuggery of China and I simply agreed that government thuggery existed and gave an example of it, albeit on this side of the Pacific...but If you want to believe this country doesn't do state murders then I can't stop you from averting your attention. If on the other hand you want to be taken seriously in your indignation at China's transparent thuggery then you must treat the Waco murders equally and also the murder of Mrs. Weaver and her 14 year old son...up to you.

Osborne Russell
07-27-2006, 07:15 PM
China is so big and important that it gets hard to exert much leverage against them without doing almost as much damage to one's self.

Excellent point.

With a rat tat tat and the old kow tow
Where are Billy's bones resting now?

--The Pogues

Wild Dingo
07-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Just to clarify things before they get out of hand...Ruby Ridge did NOT involve American Indians. You can read one summary of Ruby Ridge here http://www.woodenboatvb.com/www/vbulletin/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Thanks for clarifyin that one for me Bruce as I said it wasnt reported very well down here

Nicholas Thanks for the info on Waco... but for whatever reason the BATF and the FBI may have had to execute a warrent to search the compound the whole thing was handled abysmally and ended in too many deaths on both sides.

Carry on!