PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth ?

Rick Clark
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
How long will it take for Google to update their pictures of the middle east, so we get a first hand look at the wreckage?
Or is the Government going to put a stop to it too?

ljb5
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I've found some instances where the images are at least three years old.

Meerkat
07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Many factors...

BTW, most of Google Earth is probably French "SPOT" imagery (~2m resolution IIRC). I'd be surprised if much, if any, of it came from milsats.

Wild Wassa
07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Only three years old?

When I visit Lake Burley Griffin on Google Earth, the Flying Fifteen Fleet at the Club is still shown as being on their permanent moorings in Lotus Bay. The Flying fifteen fleet moved from the permanemt moorings to the boat park beside the club ... over six years ago.

The Kingston forshore development is bare earth with no buildings built on GE, the finished buildings have had tenents in them for over two years now.

... but on the western side of Yarramundi Reech, the forests destroyed in the last fire storm have been bulldozed into windrows and our new carport can be seen on our block.

The images of my neck of the woods are a total mish-mash of ages ... but for a freebee, how could you wish for more? If I purchased Google Earth Plus, which I consider doing (from time to time) I'd expect a lot.

It is the old images that stop me from going ahead, in updating. I didn't see a guarantee when I read up, on upgrading to GE Plus also the heights are way out. The centre of the local creek in the valley is 22m higher than the summit of the hill on the southen side of the valley ... when basic things like this are wrong, I can handle it being wrong when it is free.

For me GE still remains an excellent resourse for planning the odd bush walk and helping to explore my semi-rural neighbourhood. I've had such good fun with Google Earth, I probably owe them a few bucks by now.

NASA's Worldwind is just as hot as Google Earth. Here are four of my favourite locations that I took from Worldwind.

Ingebyra and Willis in the Byadbo Indi Wilderness.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid177/pf703eb2c5b310230733a64903f7985da/f34ce9d2.jpg

Croajingalong Wilderness with the Errinundra Plateau on the horizon. The sandhills at Thurra Inlet reach a height of 200m.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/pa43a4882af2568581fbfc75a5acdf7a1/f3605428.jpg

The Deua Wadbilliga Bonang Wilderness. This countyry is somewhat rugged to walk in.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/p824d2da652d48258de11bfb4ff42b081/f360ab2e.jpg

... and one of the best most scenic areas, the Kanagra Boyd Wilderness and the Blue Breaks the southen end of the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Park.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid175/p3dc5f4c224c71f56878ebeca47294566/f3748584.jpg

Australia might be 7/8th desert, but it isn't all desert. The wet forests and rainforests of SE Oz will blow you away. All of the four above would have snow at this time of year. Errinundra Plateau is stunning in the snow ... 20ft tree ferns and the Giant Podocarpus canopy would be draped in snow now. I've walked across the snow covered canopy of the Giant Podocarpus forest on the Coast and Mountain Range. I had no idea there were trees under me ... until I fell through.

Warren.

ccmanuals
07-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey, maybe we should create a layer that shows the location of formites?

Matt J.
07-25-2006, 08:12 PM
3 years old!? some of the local imagery is (IIRC, and I'm not sure I do) over 20 years old.

3 year old imagery of the middle east and you all think it's a conspiracy? :rolleyes: It'd be nice to have that 3 y/o image of my town.

Kim Whitmyre
07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
NASA's Worldwind is just as hot as Google Earth. Here are four of my favourite locations that I took from Worldwind.
Warren.

I dl'd Worldwind, and it is quite nice, but appears to be more "cpu" intensive than Google Earth. Perhaps I need to give it more time and learn the user interface better, but it is slow at the resolution I am using. I'll try dropping the resolution a bit; it also appears to be more comprehensive than Google Earth.