PDA

View Full Version : Strange Car Names

jack grebe
07-25-2006, 05:16 AM
I had an old Ford Wagon once that my daughter named "PUFF THE TRAGIC WAGON" as fate would have it, there was an electrical fire and in the end it went up in flames:eek:

Garrett Lowell
07-25-2006, 06:11 AM
I had a sea-foam green 1967 Chevy Impala called "Lerch". Inline 6, 1BBL carb, Powerglide transmission. I could fit 9 people comfortably in that machine. I tracked it down at the crusher a few years back. Too bad.

paladin
07-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I had a 1966 Thunderbird, off white, with an injected 429 engine....removed the "Thunderbird" name on the trunk and replaced it with "ThunderBuzzard".....license plate "1Cor924".....Brother and sister in law didn't notice it for almost a year.....

Old Sailor
07-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Mechanics have pet names for all the popular cars but darned if I can remember any of them.
Old Sailor

Mrleft8
07-25-2006, 08:18 AM
"1Cor924"?
Friend in HS used to have a Montecarlo that had been patched with bondo so many times that you could put a magnet just about anywhere and it wouldn't stick. It was called "The Monte-Bondo"

Paul Pless
07-25-2006, 08:25 AM
"1Cor924"?

1st Corinthians chapter 9 verse 24.

"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain."

paladin
07-25-2006, 09:07 AM
did I mention my brother is a minister?....:D

Wild Dingo
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Car names?
mmm once had a land rover series 3 ex ADF troopy that the hoons called "the mongrel"
had a van the hoons called the "Venga bus"
years ago I had a 2 door vynel topped V8 Hemi Pacer that the blackfellas in Fitzroy called "mine" and the fellas in Halls Creek called "mine" while I just called her "Anyones"
Presently I drive a F100 called appropriately the "Effy" but not due to her name rather her temperament better than sayin "Come on start yer EFFIN mongrel"
I tend to call my cars "gerty" or "pluggar" or sumsuch :rolleyes:

Bob Adams
07-25-2006, 09:12 AM
I had a 1966 Thunderbird, off white, with an injected 429 engine....removed the "Thunderbird" name on the trunk and replaced it with "ThunderBuzzard".....license plate "1Cor924".....Brother and sister in law didn't notice it for almost a year.....
Really? The Bird that year had a choice of a 390 or 428 cid. Injection? Not in 66. Was this a custom job? The 429 didn't make an apperance until the 1969 model year. One hell of an engine, I've owned a few,

capt jake
07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Mechanics have pet names for all the popular cars but darned if I can remember any of them.

Ford Exploder.

paladin
07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I bought the car in mid-late 1969 after my 3rd trip to Vietnam....It was a really sweet setup previously owned by a feller at Fred Jones Ford in Okie City....the paint was "white"...actually white but more pearl....when the sunlight hit it at an angle you could see specks of gold/silver and bits of red/green/blue......at the same time I had (my first and only power boat) a 21 foot Sanger hull with the same engine (drag boat) all done up in metalflake red..gold trim....name..."Mother's Worry"...

and Bob...how about a 63 ford econoline pickup, 4 speed, with a pontiac 6 cylinder 215 hp overhead cam engine....painted bright yellow, chromed reversed wheels, oversized radials......and covered with white or blue or violet daisies, ranging from 4 inches to 8 inches across...gun rack in back with a 1892 winchester and a remington 1100 shotgun, mexican serape seat covers.....that was my tow truck...

huisjen
07-25-2006, 09:39 AM
My '71 Datsun Pick-up was named Gort.

As in "Gort! Klatu Berada Nicto!" (The Day The Earth Stood Still)

We come in pieces.

Dan

jack grebe
07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
remember when VW added their own pet name? THING:D

George Roberts
07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
If you name them, you have to feed them.

I would rather just let them go off and die with someone else.

johnw
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Had a VW named Otto. Rusted-out Nissan pickup named Old Nessi.

A friend had a truck with the license number 2HIP2BU. Sold it because the cops kept stopping him.

Another One
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
My first car was a scummy green 1968 VW Beetle with semi-automatic tranny, called "Oscar" (from the Sesame Street character). We used to joke that he always wanted something, but never insisted. His top speed was about 58 mph, but he did it earnestly.

Had a 1978 VW Transporter van which was reworked with a Ford engine, and which answered to "Goliath."

Then there was this old Plymouth sedan, ugliest car I've ever seen. More bondo than metal, and I once put my foot through the floorboards by accident while climbing out. We paid $400 for it, used it as a winter driver for 2 years, put nothing in it but oil and gas, and sold it for $350. It was "Belvidere," after the old southern dog in the cartoon.

Hubby's 1969 VW Beetle was chopped 4", suicide doors added, and a euro-rag roof and baby oval rear window were pieced in. We called him Frankenstein, since he'd been brought to life using the parts of other dead vehicles.

The 1967 Beetle convertable chassis waiting for us in the workshop is "Lulabelle," although at this point I don't remember why.

My black 2000 Subaru wagon was "the limo" because the kids liked the double sunroof.

And the WRX is "the jelleybean." :)

Wayne Jeffers
07-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I had a white '67 impala called Moby Dick.

:D

My fraternity brothers called my white 1965 Pontiac Star Chief “Moby Dick,” or “The White Whale, “ or “The Beer Wagon.” (Three kegs would fit in the trunk and the lid would still close.) With the 389, the big barge would move surprisingly well.

I call my S2000 “The Empty Nest Car.” :)

Wayne

John B
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
lucky lucky lucky.:D

jack grebe
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
I call the motor home .....THE BUS:D

Bob Adams
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I bought the car in mid-late 1969 after my 3rd trip to Vietnam....It was a really sweet setup previously owned by a feller at Fred Jones Ford in Okie City....the paint was "white"...actually white but more pearl....when the sunlight hit it at an angle you could see specks of gold/silver and bits of red/green/blue......at the same time I had (my first and only power boat) a 21 foot Sanger hull with the same engine (drag boat) all done up in metalflake red..gold trim....name..."Mother's Worry"...

and Bob...how about a 63 ford econoline pickup, 4 speed, with a pontiac 6 cylinder 215 hp overhead cam engine....painted bright yellow, chromed reversed wheels, oversized radials......and covered with white or blue or violet daisies, ranging from 4 inches to 8 inches across...gun rack in back with a 1892 winchester and a remington 1100 shotgun, mexican serape seat covers.....that was my tow truck...

What kind of fuel injection? That was really high tech back then. Holy Crap, 3 tours!!!! Did you happen to catch sight of the tricked out 429 Mustang that was touring Nam aboard the Coral Sea?

paladin
07-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Not sure about the FI setup except it was a modified German unit and Fred Jones was the only folks to work on it....I think it was the old mans nephew that assembled the car with the original C6 transmission and limited slip rear.......
Never saw the mustang....never went near the navy boats....except one time we were over the Ranger, and tapped the little switch a few times (pumped brake fluid into the exhaust stacks to make it look like we took ground fire), then lined up on the flight decks with a COIN B-25, gearand flaps down, and watched the panic below....boat boss had no sense of humor...

added....6 tours nam with a 1 year break for physical repairs for unauthorized field mods to my body....4 years Lao/Cambodia/Thailand

Meerkat
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
You know, Chuck, you're lucky to be alive. Good thing they didn't have Phalanx back then. LOL!

So, where did you hustle the pancreas? ;)

paladin
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
back in January I found a good body mechanic that discovered that 3 years ago the surgeons in Texas made a boo-boo.....got it fixed.......and Meer....the B-25 had 5 forward facing miniguns....and several drums of ammo in the former bomb bay.....screw Phalanx..

Hughman
07-25-2006, 09:08 PM
SWMBO drove a 67 Volvo 122 sedan which had been painted with a brush...We called it the "White Blight"

I had a pale green 66 Volvo 122 wagon which after 500K miles with the original paint was dubbed "The Lime Slime"

Meerkat
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
...and Meer....the B-25 had 5 forward facing miniguns....and several drums of ammo in the former bomb bay.....screw Phalanx..ROTFLMAO! "Chuck's Private War with the USN!" :D :D :D

Glad you got the other systems fixed too.

skuthorp
07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
We have a habit of making a name from the rego number prefix.
Mine, TKM, Takamitsu, the composer.
Anne's, SDM, well, you know!!

blacksmith
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
One of the sons had an Isuzu SUV called the War Wagon.

Hal Forsen
07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
My folks had a two tone, white on black '56 Merc Montclair named Nellie and back in the early 80's I was driving a sweet la bomba '63 Buick named.....................
The Millenium Skylark :D :D
HF