PDA

View Full Version : Real sailors don't need motors

Joe (SoCal)
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
So there is something funky hapenening with the outboard on Tidbit. I have been working on Dove so I have not gotten the time to deal with the problem. but today it is one of the 10 best days. No humidity and a 10kt wind from the north. I had to go out sailing. Now have become real good at getting IN to the dock with no motor,but getting out takes real skill to work the tide and spin the boat and raise the main and not hit anouther boat or a dock. Today I just did it like I was an old Cape Cod lobsterman. I even had a crowd watching me make it look easy.So now I'm sailing up wind agenst the tide to the bay where I will sail around and take the wind and tide back to the slip.Who want's to post real time photos cause I'm posting from my phone :D

Phil Heffernan
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p8c22203598601fdf3b5d235c9df0e70c/eddb75e5.jpg

Are ya happy now, Joe:p ;)

Wish I was out there, duty calls, hows tomorrow morning?

PH

Joe (SoCal)
07-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm in for tomorow, but wouldn't you rather polish bronze :D

paladin
07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
with your boat ya dunno need a motor, break out the wooden topsails....:D

Phil Heffernan
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm in for tomorow, but wouldn't you rather polish bronze :D

Dunno...Sail?...Polish bronze? I'll have to think about it:)

PH

Joe (SoCal)
07-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Whoa WHAT a freakin DAY!!!!!!

I sailed from 10:00 AM until 6:00 PM

10 KT and the tide and wind working with me
Got the motor fixed, guess it figured out that I don't need it so it decided to work. Isn't that just like a motor :rolleyes:

So I sailed with the wind & tide north. About New Hamburg I realized that I was close to this river front estate that I sold.

http://mccaffreyrealty.com/listings/2514095/Front.jpg

http://mccaffreyrealty.com/listings/2514095/F6JQ4572.jpg

So I called them up ;) to my surprised they were up extending the weekend at their weekend estate ;). I said hey I'm sailing past you look out your veranda. So then I ask, hey how would you like to come sailing and see your home from the river? Oh my yes we would love to they say. Who wouldn't want to go sailing on such a beautiful day ;)

So they arrive at the New Hamburg marina with there two adorable little girls in tow. We shove off and sail back toward to where their home nestles the Hudson. They were floored at how cool it was to sail in front of it. The husband had never been on a sailboat, so that was cool. His wife was totally into it, the girls are rummaging down in the cuddy or asking how a sailboat works.

So after a little sail they invite me back to there home for a drink and to see all the things they have done so far. Nice visit, on the way back he asks me about the land for sale behind his home and how he would like to buy it. 14 acres of prime river ront $$$$ :D

So we said our goodbyes and the tide AND the wind changed direction to make it more favorable for a sail back home at over 6.5 kt. WHOA :eek: :eek: what a ride home.

What a day what a day.

Stiletto
07-25-2006, 12:55 AM
That's a class act Joe.:)

Do you have the agency for the land he wants?