PDA

View Full Version : Uncas Report.

Joe (SoCal)
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Spoke to Jamie today said he is up along the north Mass coast, I think he said Hamden Cove ??? but it was poor cell phone connection. He is hunkered down on a government mooring due to the TROPICAL DEPRESSION Beryl. He said winds were over 20 Kt and building at 3:00 p.m. Supposed to climb to past 60 kt this evening.

Ken he said he is still planning a visit after the storm passes.

Bruce Hooke
07-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Hampton Harbor might be where he is, but if that is the case then he is just across the line into New Hampshire...

Nanoose
07-21-2006, 12:09 AM
...and with the wind blowing 60 kt this evening, he'll be swung all the way into Maine!

shamus
07-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Hope someone frrom the gubmnt serviced that mooring in the last year or so then.

bamamick
07-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Dern hurricanos. Aggravating things.

Mickey Lake

Joe (SoCal)
07-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Hampton Harbor might be where he is, but if that is the case then he is just across the line into New Hampshire...

Yea that must be where he is.

Ken Hutchins (http://www.woodenboatvb.com/www/vbulletin/upload/member.php?u=6291)
PM me if you do not have Jamie's phone number.

Ken Hutchins
07-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I talked to him yesterday, yes he was hunkered down for the storm, he expects to get to this area in a couple of days, hopefully thru the canal tomorrow.

Hwyl
07-21-2006, 06:46 PM
So my guess is h's somewhere near East Hampton /Sag Harbor. It takes a day to get across BI sound and up Buzzards (appropriately) bay.

Bruce Hooke
07-21-2006, 07:57 PM
So my guess is h's somewhere near East Hampton /Sag Harbor. It takes a day to get across BI sound and up Buzzards (appropriately) bay.

No, at least not if I got the location right. Hampton Harbor (where I think he is based on Joe's message) is in New Hampshire, whereas East Hampton/Sag Harbor is down on Long Island. The two places are about 150 miles apart. That said, with a good wind he could be in Buzzards Bay in a couple of days, it's just that he would be heading south rather than northeast to get there.

As to the weather...in the end it looks like he probably never saw anything more than some passing showers and 5-10 knot winds (if that) over the last 48 hours. Beryl stayed far enough off shore to be pretty much a non-issue for the mainland, with the exception of some high surf. Nantucket, which is the closest land in New England to the storm's path, did see wind gusts up to around 40mph last night, which is enough to make things interesting if you are on the water.

Ed Harrow
07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Ahhhh, sounds like he's in parts unknown... Canal? Cape Cod, Annisquam? Is there another in these parts?

Ken Hutchins
07-21-2006, 09:21 PM
He is in Hadley Harbor, which as I recall is in the Elisabeth Islands near the southern entrance of the canal. He had some engine issues to repair before transiting the canal.

Hwyl
07-22-2006, 04:15 AM
No, at least not if I got the location right. Hampton Harbor (where I think he is based on Joe's message) is in New Hampshire, whereas East Hampton/Sag Harbor is down on Long Island. The two places are about 150 miles apart. That said, with a good wind he could be in Buzzards Bay in a couple of days, it's just that he would be heading south rather than northeast to get there.

I live fairly close to Hampton NH. The only canals between here and there are alimentary.

You're basic mistake was listening to Joe;s message.

I do agree that Hadley and the Hamptons are a good distance apart. If I were him I'd cruise some more amongst the Elizabeths

Bruce Hooke
07-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I did not see Ken's message about the canal. I certainly agree that if he had been in Hampton, NH it would have been hard to find a canal to go through to get to New Hampsire!

Meerkat
07-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Since this thread started, I have been contemplating an Uncas Report.

I can't decide if it's a mellow boom or a sharp bang! ;) :D

Mrleft8
07-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Since this thread started, I have been contemplating an Uncas Report.

I can't decide if it's a mellow boom or a sharp bang! ;) :D I'd imagine that Joe, Matt, or Steven could probably tell you for sure... The one thing that I'd bet the farm on, is that it smells like bacon.... :D

Ian McColgin
07-24-2006, 06:48 AM
I've not had a chance to be here till just now, but before Beryl came through Jamie and I were chatting about how to hide. At the time he was in Hadley Harbor on whatchidoodle island (the first of the Elizabeths) just west of the Buzzard's Bay side of Wood's Hole. I left my mooring to anchor in the Cove Behind Pine Island.

He'd taken a while to get the glow plugs working better.

I should imagine he's well north and into Newt Hamster by now.

Ian McColgin
07-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Jamie moves north, a little.

Last night he called from a nice dock in Onsett, just at the Buzzard's Bay end of the Cape Cod Canal. He'd replaced the glow plugs but was still having major problems getting started in the morning. I mentioned that if it's just the plugs, he ought to restart easily even if he'd not run the engin for some hours. As we talked, he started her right up. So, despite new glow plugs, he's not feeling the warmth.

Perhaps he'll get the cause solved today and catch the afternoon tide through the Canal. If so, he hopes to make Sicuit tonight.

Actually, it's a wonderfully different sort of cruise not to be destination driven. Peaceful and right fun.