PDA

View Full Version : set of encyclopedias

LeeG
07-19-2006, 08:05 PM
In good shape, 12yrs old. Goodwill wouldn't take them. I'm experiencing Future Shock. I got the feeling from them I was trying to unload a gold plated eight track player. One friend said to leave them in front of the library late at night then run away quickly.

Meerkat
07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Publisher?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I have thrown away two sets of Colliers, and a set of something else in the last year. Nobody wants them.

BrianW
07-19-2006, 09:12 PM
That is suprising! At least we still have libraries. Although, I do see a lot of folks there just to log onto the 'net, rather than to read a book. Seems popular with the cruise ship tourist. Just today I took back two of the 12v wiring book recommended in a thread above the bilge. Yes, they were two weeks late.

paladin
07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
The problem is that most all the stuff in the encyclopedias and similar reference books is available on the internet...books take up space...although I actually file the cd's...

LeeG
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I know, I know. But they smell good. And I got them instead of a $2500 Apple computer and 14k modem. They were quicker than dial up at the time. And I was paying child support and alimony so sitting around with little kids and running to the encyclopedias to look for an answer sounded like more fun.

Meerkat
07-19-2006, 10:17 PM
If we're reduced to everything being online, truth will die.

shamus
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Keep them! I have a set from the 1880s, "Conversations Lexicon", lovely engravings of all sorts of engineering marvels. In a hundred years or so yours will be equally interesting. Think long term.

Hwyl
07-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Use them to find plural usage in Latin (emulating Don here)

Peter Kalshoven
07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
My oldest son read an article about a guy who read the Encyclopedia Brittanica cover to cover (to cover, to cover, etc.) He bugged me about it, and lo and behold, two weeks later, I picked up the complete EB for small money at a Friends of the Library sale. Even if he never reads them all, what beautiful books. The kids still tend to google everything, but I'm starting to give my Dad's favorite answer to questions I know nothing about. "Go look it up in the Encyclopedia!"

Mrleft8
07-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Send them to the Department of community development and culture Office of the administrator.29 Bacolet street Scarborough, Tobago. W.I.
They'll give them to the Scarborough Adult Library, which is getting a new building. (I'd say send them directly to the library, but I don't know the address)