PDA

View Full Version : The Dubya Said A Bad Word

Memphis Mike
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
With a roll stuffed in his mouth too. I didn't know he was that intellegent.:rolleyes:

His momma should wash his mouth out with soap.

MSNBC.com
Bush caught on tape swearing about Syria
Microphone also picks up other comments — from Mideast to Diet Coke
The Associated Press

Updated: 8:48 a.m. CT July 17, 2006
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - It wasn’t meant to be overheard. Private luncheon conversations among world leaders, picked up by a microphone, provided a rare window into both banter and substance — including President Bush cursing Hezbollah’s attacks against Israel.
Bush expressed his frustration with the United Nations and his disgust with the militant Islamic group and its backers in Syria as he talked to British Prime Minister Tony Blair during the closing lunch at the Group of Eight summit.
“See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s--- and it’s over,” Bush told Blair as he chewed on a buttered roll.
He told Blair he felt like telling U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who visited the gathered leaders, to get on the phone with Syrian President Bashar Assad to “make something happen.” He suggested Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice might visit the region soon.
Raw and unscripted
The unscripted comments came during a photo opportunity at the lunch. The leaders clearly did not realize that a live microphone was picking up their discussion.

Bush also spoke to other leaders, and his unscripted comments ranged from the serious topic of escalating violence in the Mideast to light banter about his preference for Diet Coke and a gift he received from another leader.
Blair, whose remarks were not as clearly heard, appeared to be pressing Bush about the importance of getting international peacekeepers into the region.
As he chats with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Bush expresses amazement that it will take Putin and an unidentified leader just as long to fly home to Moscow as it will take him to fly back to Washington. Putin’s reply could not be heard.
“You eight hours? Me too. Russia’s a big country and you’re a big country. Takes him eight hours to fly home. Not Coke, diet Coke. ... Russia’s big and so is China. Yo Blair, what’re you doing? Are you leaving,” Bush said.
Bush thanked Blair for a gift of a sweater and joked that he knew Blair had picked it out personally. “Absolutely,” Blair responded, with a laugh.
Bush, a stickler for keeping to his schedule, could also be heard telling Putin, “We’ve got to keep this thing moving. I have to leave at 2:15. They want me out of town so to free up your security forces.”
Bush also remarked that some of the speakers at the meeting had the tendency to talk too long.

JimD
07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm for letting him say whatever he likes as long as he keeps a roll stuffed in his mouth.

ishmael
07-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Who cares?

The world is teetering, and Bush's offhand comments are news?

We deserve this war precisely because of this idiocy.

I think I'm going to follow Fred, go climb under a bench with a bottle.

Bruce Hooke
07-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Two thoughts occur to me:

1. I have my doubts about the journalistic ethics of reporting something like this.

2. I have to say that while this sort of language does not look good in print I don't really have a problem with someone in Bush's position using it when talking to others at his level. Plain language is sometimes appropriate.

Concordia...41
07-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Granted I'm not the President of the United States, but when I drop something for the umteenth time (often into the water) and say something like: "Son of a motherless whore."

This is a bad thing?

Maybe only boaty folks get to cuss like sailors ;)

Leon m
07-17-2006, 07:39 PM
“See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s--- and it’s over,”

Loose lips sink ships.

Concordia...41
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Loose lips sink ships.

Definitely agreed as to this part of the program...

Rick Clark
07-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Just goes to show you, he is one of the good old boys!

Osborne Russell
07-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Other things being equal, I'd rather have someone that says it, than someone who doesn't, when he has a mouthful.

Hwyl
07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm not certain he's an idiot. I am certain he has his own agenda, and that has not much to do with my sense of morality.

I'm questioning whether it was a gaffe, or a stage whisper.

Bruce Hooke
07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I am glad that at least he said something that should not create too much of a diplomatic fuss aside from the language he used. I don't think anyone would realistically dispute that Syria is behind Hezbollah and has the power to bring their attacks to an end. Thank God he didn't say something like "all we need to do is drop a few bombs on Damascus."

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I think I'm going to follow Fred, go climb under a bench with a bottle.Do you have a bench? :D :D :D

formerlyknownasprince
07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
“See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s--- and it’s over,”

Geez that'll upset all the conspiracy theorists who reckon this is an American plot to escalate everything so they can bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

No issue of journalistic ethics here. Only way that would come into play is if Bush was giving an off-the-record briefing to the journos. He was making comments in a public venue - his fault that he didn't ensure they weren't being listened to.

Ian

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-17-2006, 09:01 PM
"The world is teetering, and Bush's offhand comments are news?"

Am I the only one that thinks that perhaps Dubya does nothing but make offhand comments? Blair presses for peacekeepers, and Dubya talks about diet coke. The world is teetering in part because of the incredible incompetence and arrogance of the Bush administration. America has done nothing in the last several years to make the world a safer and more peaceful place. Dubya is responsible largely for that failure.

JDD
07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Where would you place OBL and Al-Qaeda in creating a safer planet? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Do you really think that Osama Bin Laden and Al- Qaeda are players on the world stage? They're a small group of extremists. Yes, they should be tracked down and prosecuted or killed if necessary, but they hardly have the same influence in the world as country that possesses 60% of the worlds military capacity. Get a grip.

Bob Cleek
07-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Where's Earl Butz when we need him? If only Bush had let fly with a "Loose shoes.... etc." comment, we'd be rid of him!

LeeG
07-17-2006, 10:13 PM
could someone please educate me on the specifics of GWs comments, is Damascus able to lean on Hezbollah, compared to Iran for example. With Lebanon being bombed and Israel getting rocketed by Iranian missles is Syria a significant factor?

Bruce Hooke
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
The reports I've heard have suggested that there is a very close link between Hezbollah and the Syrian government, and that Syria is indeed basically in the position to call of Hezbollah if they wanted to.

Bruce Hooke
07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
No issue of journalistic ethics here. Only way that would come into play is if Bush was giving an off-the-record briefing to the journos. He was making comments in a public venue - his fault that he didn't ensure they weren't being listened to.

I agree that according to the usual rules, journalists do have the right to report his comment. However, it feels kind of like paparazzi journalism, which I do not have a lot of respect for. The only real "story" seems to be his choice of language in what he thought was a private conversation and at the least I question how news-worthy that is.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 12:41 AM
maybe the Whitehouse can't manage the presidents image beyond the bubble.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/7/17/212531/190

Mrleft8
07-18-2006, 06:52 AM
The thing I got from watching that clip is: What an arrogant, self centered, rude, uncouth, slob! Sitting there with his back turned to Blair (Whom IS a lap dog, but still....), jamming food into his yap hole, talking with his mouth full, and in general, being a troglodyte.

Chris Coose
07-18-2006, 07:07 AM
The thing I got from watching that clip is: What an arrogant, self centered, rude, uncouth, slob! Sitting there with his back turned to Blair (Whom IS a lap dog, but still....), jamming food into his yap hole, talking with his mouth full, and in general, being a troglodyte.

Suppose dubbya wears a cowboy hat to bed?
Wet or dry - the guy is the classic American cowboy drunk with a willey bunch of handlers.
I hope Tony writes a book. All the aftermath books should be interesting but boring. As presidents go this guy will come out the back end as one of the most wicked.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
and that's GWs appeal. Folks want a president who isn't too smart, someone who who is obvious about making a pass at their sister, someone who can act without thinking. Don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING!

JimD
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Someone who can fall off a mountain bike and get right back in the saddle.

Keith Wilson
07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I'd like to think that the President has a bit more sophisticated grasp of world events than we do here.So would I. In fact, the belief that he did (or at least some of those working for him did) was why I reluctantly supported the invasion of Iraq. Events have proved otherwise.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Keith, I've been following Juan Coles commentaries and individual journalists in Iraq since day one,,a common theme in their analyis supported by Ron Suskinds analysis of the presidency is that reality out there doesn't matter as much as the will to act over here.

I'm reading a history of Central Asia from the early 1800's and similar mistakes have been made by leaders in the past,,they have a vision that doesn't require observable reality, it is fueled primarily by the capacity/resources to act.

Because we can is the operative principle.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
GW is the face we wanted, but he and the people who actually formulated the plan of securing US pre-eminence into the future suffer the same hubris of power.
related:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/7/17/9576/59598

Essentially, the Bush Doctrine has fallen victim to the same flawed tabulations of asset-power as any imperial regime in the past. Their mathematical reliance upon mass and material preponderance rendered victory a virtual assurance. This explains the administrations stubborn reliance upon staying the course. Yet the practice of warfare, as always, has proven a great deal more complicated than simple numbers and, as Helmuth von Moltke once said, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

John of Phoenix
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
See, the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this **** and it’s over.

What a remarkable statement.

"They" being the plural of Kofi Annan. What irony is there in having Annan call Syria to pull Hezbollah’s strings? Would the irony be that Syrian forces were recently ejected from Lebanon? Syria is a minor player in Hezbollah. Call Iran if you want something done with Hezbollah.

And with this call to Syria (or Iran or whomever) Annan could “stop this **** and it’s over.” One call? And it’s over?
"Yo, Kofi! How hard can this diplomacy **** be? Make the call dude."

What a clueless dumbass.

ljb5
07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Did you see him cop a quick feel on Chancellor Merkel?

http://static.crooksandliars.com/2006/07/Bush-Groper.jpg

Boy, did she look pissed!

Check out the video: http://movies.crooksandliars.com/Bush-Grope.wmv

LeeG
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
at this point folks remember the executive is more than a president who can make us feel proud again (Reagan),,but if the executive is someone who is primarily required to reflect our feelings we'll get an actor and not a leader.

www.juancole.com

Bush: Lean on Syria

I cobbled the Bush-Blair exchange on Israel and Lebanon, accidentally caught at the G8 on mike, together fromWaPo and ABC News.

BUSH to Blair: "I think Condi is going to go (to the Middle East) pretty soon."

BLAIR: "Right, that's all that matters, it will take some time to get that together . . . See, if she goes out she's got to succeed as it were, where as I can just go out and talk."

BUSH: "See, the irony is what they need to do is get Syria to get Hizbollah to stop doing this **** and it's over."

BLAIR: "Who, Syria?"

BUSH: "Right . . . What about Kofi? That seems odd. I don't like the sequence of it. His attitude is basically ceasefire and everything else happens."

BLAIR: "I think the thing that is really difficult is you can't stop this unless you get this international presence agreed." . . .

BUSH: "I felt like telling Kofi to get on the phone with Assad and make something happen. We're not blaming Israel. We're not blaming the Lebanese government."

So, the whole blow-up is Syria's fault, for putting Hizbullah up to making mischief. No reference to Israeli actions in Gaza. No reference to, like, the wholesale destruction of Lebanon by the Israeli air force. And no blame for the Lebanese government of Fouad Siniora. And Bush thinks that Nasrullah of Hizbullah takes direct orders from Damascus. And he thinks that if Bashar al-Asad orders Hizbullah to stop firing its little katyushas and give back the two Israeli soldiers, everything will suddenly settle down.

It is an astonishingly simple-minded view of the situation, painted in black and white and making assumptions about who is who's puppet and what the Israeli motivations are. Israel doesn't appear as a protagonist. It is purely reactive. Stop provoking it, and it suddenly stops its war.

Since Israel is just being provoked and has no ambitions of its own, in this reading, it is useless to begin with a ceasefire. That treats the two sides as both provoking one another. Here, only Hizbullah matters, so you lean on Syria to lean on it, and, presto, peace breaks out.

It is a little window into the superficial, one-sided mind of the man, who has for six years been way out of his depth.

I come away from it shaken and trembling.

----

pcford
07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Those that focus on GW's use of the word "sh!t" while ignoring the content of what he was saying at the time are.....well......moronic.

Someone once said that someday the people of the United States will get a President that they deserve. Maybe that's happened in 2000.

geeman
07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Have said before ,I dont care for Bush.However I'd rather any prez we have be in a meeting where its as relaxed and informal enough to exchange ideas and thoughts freely ,rather then with all the pomp and fluff in most meetings of that type.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
ok,,Colbert break..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/07/18/colbert-comes-clean-with-_n_25273.html

ljb5
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
However I'd rather any prez we have be in a meeting where its as relaxed and informal enough to exchange ideas and thoughts freely ,rather then with all the pomp and fluff in most meetings of that type.

Part of being able to "exchange ideas" is to have some ideas ----

--- and have the ability to present yourself and your ideas in such a way that people are willing to accept them.

In the last week we've seen President Putin publically make fun of Bush and Chancellor Merkel respond to him with disgust.

Bush might have the best ideas in the world, but if he lacks the interpersonal skills necessary to win support, they will whither on the vine.

Memphis Mike
07-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Yep, Mr. Cheney needs to reel him in. He's making an ass out of himself.:D

LeeG
07-18-2006, 12:32 PM
setting aside the bush bashing for a second,,maybe two seconds,,it's worth looking at what the White House policies are doing. We're really not active in the Israeli/Hezbollah conflict. Kind of absent.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=101850

pcford
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
setting aside the bush bashing for a second,,maybe two seconds,,it's worth looking at what the White House policies are doing. We're really not active in the Israeli/Hezbollah conflict. Kind of absent.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=101850

Absent? He is supporting (and has supported for all of his misgotten reign) the policies of the hard right Likkud party of Israel.

LeeG
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
absent from the conflict, supportive of the conditions leading up to it. Rolling the wheel down the hill and seeing what happens next.