Memphis Mike
07-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Ain't no such thing as Global Warming.:rolleyes:

MSNBC.com
Extreme heat across most of U.S.
Nearly every state will see temperatures above 90
The Associated Press

Updated: 10:58 a.m. CT July 17, 2006

Extreme heat built up early Monday across the nation, with temperatures reaching into the 100s across the southern Plains and pockets of the Northeast.
Heat advisories were posted for the entire state of New Jersey most of eastern Pennsylvania and southern New York, as well as throughout the central Mississippi Valley and the South.
Highs at least in the 90s were expected to be seen in almost every state from coast to coast.
A cold front dropping into the eastern Plains was expected to spark thunderstorms across Iowa and Illinois — a welcome relief from the relentless heat.
A few thunderstorms were possible throughout the Southwest and southern California. These storms were forecast to pass near some of the wildfires burning throughout the region.
One area predicted to escape the heat plaguing the rest of the nation was to be the Northwest as cooler temperatures spread down the Pacific coast.
Temperatures in the Lower 48 states on Sunday ranged from a low of 38 degrees at Stanley, Idaho, to a high of 126 degrees at Death Valley, Calif.
Emergency actions
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Sunday the state would make more than 130 office buildings available as cooling centers beginning Monday. Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty had ordered the National Guard out to help firefighters as temperatures even in the normally cool northern part of the state pushed 100 degrees amid very dry conditions.
The National Weather Service issued excessive heat warnings for Las Vegas, Chicago, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Tulsa, Okla., and parts of New Jersey, where thermometers made it into the 90s Sunday and were expected to reach 100 degrees Monday.
“I could use a pool out here,” Doreen Venick, 36, said Sunday as she took shelter in the shade of a small tree with her two children and her sister at a children’s festival in Brick, N.J.
Officials in Chicago, where a 1995 heat wave killed 700 people, opened 24-hour cooling centers and pleaded with people to check on elderly neighbors. No heat-related deaths were reported in the city by Sunday afternoon as temperatures approached 100 in parts of the state Sunday.
Organizers of Gay Games VII, a sporting event that has drawn about 12,000 gay and lesbian athletes to Chicago, said outdoor events were going ahead as planned with hydration stations, tents and medical teams. Two triathletes were treated for heat-related illnesses.
Chicago hit 94 by 3 p.m. Sunday, but it didn’t bother Frank Lee of Manoa, Hawaii, who was competing in the event’s tennis matches and planned to drink plenty of water and eat bananas.
“Oh, I love it balmy,” Lee said. “But maybe it’s a little too hot.”
Hot air from Mexico
A large high pressure area centered over much of the mountain states and extending into the Midwest was pumping hot air from Mexico across the desert Southwest and into the Midwest, said Rob Handel, a weather service meteorologist in Chicago.
Even the Colorado mountain town of Frazier, which sits at 8,550 feet and likes to claim that it is the nation’s ice box, was in the upper 80s during the weekend.
“It’s not supposed to be hot like this. Lately there have been evenings when you could sit outside at 10 p.m. without a coat. All my life I couldn’t do that,” said Connie Clayton, 58, a lifelong resident of Frazier.
The mile-high city of Denver had two straight days of record highs, hitting 103 on Sunday and 101 Saturday.
South Dakota posted some of the nation’s highest temperatures with a reading Saturday of 115 at Pierre, the state capital, and an unofficial report of 120 outside the town of Usta in the state’s northwest corner.
“There’s a lot of records that are falling across the state,” said Todd Heitkamp, a weather service meteorologist in Sioux Falls.
The mercury again topped 100 degrees Sunday across much of South Dakota, and in North Dakota, the temperature hit 106 degrees in Bismarck and 100 in Dickinson.
In Arizona, Sunday’s high was 109, not enough to rate an extreme heat advisory in the desert metropolis.
Oklahoma, Ohio, Calif. temps
In Oklahoma, where temperatures also have been rising above 100, officials were investigating a possible heat-related death and reported more than 40 heat-related calls to emergency medical services in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
Southwest Oklahoma caught the worst of the heat Sunday: Lawton had a high temperature of 106 and Hobart and Frederick topped out at 104 degrees. The state’s weeklong forecast calls for highs ranging from the mid 90s up to 106 degrees.
In Toledo, Ohio, several people were treated for heat-related illnesses Saturday at the St. Vincent Medical Center, said Dr. Greg Hymel, an emergency room physician. The National Weather Service issued a heat advisory for the area Sunday, with temperatures reaching 91.
Officials with Middletown City Schools, halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, canceled the last week of elementary classes for the summer because of the heat. The two buildings where those classes are held lack air conditioning, district spokeswoman Debbie Alberico said.
California joined in the heat wave, with temperatures forecast to rise above 100 degrees Monday from the Mexican border to as far north as Redding and near the coast. State highs are expected to be 115 degrees near Barstow and 112 near Parkfield, said meteorologist Will Pi.
Power grid managers asked California residents to conserve electricity, predicting demand will spike for air conditioners.
Hot, sticky air also covered parts of the Southeast. In Georgia, temperatures have soared to near-record highs, with six cities posting temperatures of 100 degrees or higher on Saturday.

Paul Pless
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Need More Koolaid

Its hotter than hell right now, and tropical humidity to boot.

I think I'm gonna wait till about ten tonight to finish mowing the lawn.

Paul Pless
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Jeff, that's just sick!:eek:

LeeG
07-17-2006, 12:28 PM
damn, jeff, you must be a skinny guy or move REAL slow

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Koolaid is excelant for dyeing wool!!!

Mrs P

Nanoose
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Sooooo, you all probably don't want to hear about the amazing weather here in the PNW - blue skies, mid 70's, and enough breeze for a great sail. OK...I'll be quiet now...

Memphis Mike
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
No AC? Sheeeeeet.......I couldn't handle that.:eek: It's at least 100 here today.

TomF
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
The first 6 months of 2006 have been the hottest start to a year on record, says Environment Canada. The second half of the year doesn't appear ready to buck the trend.

nope. No global warming here.

crawdaddyjim50
07-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I haven't turned on my AC yet, I'm keeping acclimated to the heat at work. $22.93 is my highest electric bill this summer, up from $21.04:p I guess the extra box fan pushed it up.:D

I like lemonade better than that oversweet Koolaid, and take a couple quarts of Gatoraid to work.

My tax from the electric co. is about the same. But then again every appliance in my house that can be run on propane is. And this is only due to the fact that I can get gas at a semi-reasonable rate.

KNOCKABOUT
07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
As long as the monkeys chase away those blasted squirrels I'm OK with global warming. I hate squirrels!

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 02:20 PM
And the Greenland ice sheet slips into the Atlantic ever faster.

TomF
07-17-2006, 02:21 PM
As long as the monkeys chase away those blasted squirrels I'm OK with global warming. I hate squirrels!I'm told they're good roasted slowly, served with gravy ...

KNOCKABOUT
07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm told they're good roasted slowly, served with gravy ...

Damn squirrels are no good for nothing except the garbage bin.

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
I wonder if coastal villages and towns make good fish habitat. ;)

KNOCKABOUT
07-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I wonder if coastal villages and towns make good fish habitat. ;)

There wont be coastal anythings when the fit hits the shan...

TomF
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I wonder if coastal villages and towns make good fish habitat. ;)I'm just looking forward to bequeathing some waterfront property to the kids ... though there will be a few hazards to navigation in the harbour...:D

KNOCKABOUT
07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm just looking forward to bequeathing some waterfront property to the kids ... though there will be a few hazards to navigation in the harbour...:D

I hope you mean the Canadian Rockies...

Memphis Mike
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
"cause it requires too much reading and comprehension"

Zmatter Jim? Too hot?:D

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
There wont be coastal anythings when the fit hits the shan...Yeah, the coastal villages and towns will be under water, thus fish habitat. :rolleyes:

Leon m
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
It's not just the heat...You could sail a boat on that humidity...Man I hate this stuff !

Hey Kanuks!, turn on all your fans and point them south...Thanks.

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
You anywere near that forest fire in Minn, Leon?

Leon m
07-17-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm south central Wi, havn't heard about a forest fire yet...whats up ?

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
?Big? forest fire in Minn. Was on the national news last evening.

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Fires continues burning in BWCA as Minnesota swelters

Updated: 07-16-2006 03:13:52 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Authorities are letting two forest fires burn in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area of northeastern Minnesota.
The Cavity Lake Fire was spotted Friday. It's near the end of the Gunflint Trail and has burned over two-thousand-acres.
Officials are worried because its in the "blowdown area" of the B-W-C-A, where a 1999 windstorm knocked down millions of trees.
Firefighters had been letting it burn eastward, to an area where prescribed burns were conducted earlier, so it would be easier to fight. But the wind changed and sent the fire west.
Authorities say it's too dangerous to send in ground crews, and it wasn't immediately clear if they'd send in aircraft today.
Officials are also watching a fire about 20 miles away, which has burned about 650 acres near Turtle Lake east of Ely. It started July Seventh. There are no plans to suppress it.

Tristan
07-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Might as well get used to it. An increase in heat, a few big fires, some rain to wash away the soil. Hello to llife in a desert, hello to water rationing, not quite what we expected.

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Might as well get used to it. An increase in heat, a few big fires, some rain to wash away the soil. Hello to llife in a desert, hello to water rationing, not quite what we expected.I don't think water rationing is going to be your particular problem. Rather it's all that salt water and the sharks swimming through your living room! ;)

Paul Pless
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Jeff, what kinda work you doing now?

Leon m
07-17-2006, 04:06 PM
, not quite what we expected.

I been telling them for years,but nobodies listening.

John of Phoenix
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
110* with the possibility of showers this afternoon. The rain turns to steam when it hits the streets.

Saunaville. Can't wait for October.

LeeG
07-17-2006, 05:24 PM
the smell of rain in the desert,,I would like that.

John of Phoenix
07-17-2006, 05:44 PM
It is great. Mesquite and creosote bushes. The next day the hills look as green as Ireland. Then back to brown in a few days. It's a fascinating cycle.

Meerkat
07-17-2006, 07:14 PM
The glory of flowers after a desert rain. Some of them wait as much as 100 years for a rain!

It was also hotter and drier where I was in AZ than it almost ever gets in Tucson or Pheonix. Sierra Vista is typically 20 degrees hotter and 20% drier than either of them. We didn't have A/C or a swamp cooler either! :eek:

pipefitter
07-18-2006, 02:50 AM
No AC here either. Nothing worse than getting all cooled off only to have to step into the heat which seems hotter. Everyone else is pretty much stuck indoors and the only heat they se is from the house to the car and to the office. You get home,get all showered and clean and don't dare go out of the AC because you will be drenched in a matter of minutes feeling worse than before the shower.Also,fall seems to come earlier and spring stays later when used to the heat. If I didnt have to spend all my days in a metal building welding,AC might be a viable option but for now,all the AC slaves suffer without me.

When my kids were very young,they had bouts with respiratory ailments to which the doctor would prescribe the use of a humidifier. Well heck,it's 90% humidity outside so I shut off the AC,got a high velocity attic fan and at night in august,you need a blanket for the air that sucker pulls from every crack and cranny in the house,including the electric outlets. The blinds come away from the windows and the most comfortable breeze washes over the beds. The kids never had anymore breathing ailments and noone ever complains of being too hot here.

And sorry to all the gnats and skeeters that got a little too close to the screens. :)

skuthorp
07-18-2006, 04:35 AM
I know the name of Al Gore may irritate some of you, but he probably should have been president, and there's this
http://www.climatecrisis.net/
If he's right then everything else is irrelevant, and if it's just a possibility then we should be making plans to cope whether or not you believe it. Oh, and you won't have to worry about N.O.
AND THEN, http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/en/
Happy New World to all of us, eh?

Milo Christensen
07-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Are we all going to be living in RED states!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/images/conus/MaxT1_conus.png