PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with that ?!?!

Leon m
07-15-2006, 08:55 PM
It seems that if someone doesn't like another person's religion, poetry, or politics around here that someone makes it their personal crusade to fallow ,and dog that person.

It's getting to be quite a sport around here. Kinda reminds me of those guys in high school who would pick on the "challenged " kids to make themselves look cool.

Let it go !

live and let live.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Amen to that Leon.

ishmael
07-16-2006, 05:50 AM
I'd never heard fallow used as a verb.

Try being on the receiving end, Leon! Ugly.

It's just a place to write and muse. Better than most, full of idiots and savants and a lot inbetween.

While I'm all for civility, you can't make it happen by decree. Try to ignore the asses, try to set a standard in your own writing. The place needs a good tab of Sandoz. LOL.

Leon m
07-16-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd never heard fallow used as a verb.

Follow...sorry.

crawdaddyjim50
07-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Kinda makes you want to foolow him around and dog him out.:D just kidding just kidding.

I belong to a number of forums. And without a doubt the bilge here is amazing. By the way none of the other forums are political in nature.

I am of the opinion that as in religion you cannot change someone's perception of an issue. They have to change it themselves and will only do so if they perceive the need to.

It was stated to me in another thread before I went on vacation that my only responses to other's opinions were derogatory to them personally and not their opinion. So I have gone back and read my previous posts and there are posts that I am not proud of. This has lead me to curtail my posting on subjects in general. This does not mean that I capitulate to the stated opinions of these people. Only that I do not wish to call a fool a fool in public. I will still vote my conscience and until these type of people try to usurp my rights as a citizen of the United States of America as dictated in the Constitution of the United States of America I will be civil in my responses.

Jim

ishmael
07-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Jim,

Good for you, right on as they used to say. That's probably the right attitude.

Having been here since the forum was small I take things too personally. Nobody was throwing out ugly much, and when they do now it's literally painful.

I'll get over it.

How' them crawdaddys down where you are?

The changing ecology. I spent kid-time on a lake in Michigan. When I was wee I swam around the sand, and there were tons of crayfish. Then we had a three day blow, the crawdaddies all washed up on the beach, where kids collected them. I'm pretty sure the population never recovered. The last time I was there crayfish weren't in the lexicon.

And we didn't even eat them! Dad, being an ol' Ohio country lad lobbied, but mom put her foot down. Little lobsters, says I.

crawdaddyjim50
07-16-2006, 02:28 PM
The crayfish in the creeks and ditches around here have been good as of late. But the comeback of the wading birds has been phenomenal! and they are eating their fair share. I have seen more birds of all types in the last two years than all of my childhood. This is a wonderful thing to me. And it proves to me that chemical spraying for mosquitos with DDT was a bad thing.

We opted to go to the fishmonger in Orlando and ordered 80 lbs. of crawdads and that is what we cooked for the Independence day celebration. Crawdads, new potatos, 3in corn on the cob, pearl onion, garlic and Zataran's in the bag. Boil all the veggies until tender then throw in the crawdads and let them cook for a minute then dip the shrimp in a collander shake and dip again then spread all of it on the butcher paper on the big table. Pick up what you want leave what you don't.

This requires Cold beer and sweet tea for a complete meal. Follow with Banana pudding with real pudding not in the box kind and or Lemon merangue pie and French vanilla ice cream.

After that a tornado couldn't lift you off the ground! :D

Leon m
07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Kinda makes you want to foolow him around and dog him out.:D just kidding just kidding.

Thats OK Jim , I get thta all teh time,Butt ya nottice my spellins improoving evry day. :D

shamus
07-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Fallow is a verb here. "I'm going to fallow that paddock next year" is common usage. It means to leave idle- now all of this problem could be solved if we fallowed our keyboards occasionally.

ishmael
07-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Interesting, Shamus. It's not used, commonly, as a verb here, at least not in my circles. Makes perfect sense, we're going to fallow that field this growing season because it needs a rest. Yep. It still sounds a little odd.

Jim,

I wonder if the crayfish of your creeks is the same one I grew up with. I spent a lot of time around them, both in Ohio and Michigan. We see southern crawdads up here in the seafood case occasionally, always cooked, not fresh. They can't all be coming from the wild. Do people keep ponds of them?

pipefitter
07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Crawdads. I caught my largest bass on a live crawdad. My kids used to keep a couple in the aquarium.They will eat eachother when they shed so they must be good.They are abundant here as well and the curlew sure give them a fit. Curlew are good eating too. Kinda tastes like manatee! :)

We used to eat crawdads quite often much the way Jim explains. Good stuff.

Ok...jk about the manatee

Leon m
07-16-2006, 08:34 PM
When I was 17 I was invited to go dove hunting on a ranch in Texas with a couple of my buds. We came upon this pond that had an old wooden John boat resting on its bank(it'd been resting so long it looked like it was resting in peace).We'll ,dove hunting was slow so we decided we would see how well the old boat would float. we gave her a good tug from her resting place,and much to our surprize we found burrowed undernieth the boat were the biggest dang crawdads you ever laid eyes upon.Rex ran back to the truck to fetch a 5 gallon bucket, and when he returned we stuffed it to the brim.Needless to say we ate like kings that knight...A dove a piece ,and plenty of crawdads for everone.

Paul Pless
07-16-2006, 09:46 PM
A couple of freinds of mine that are brothers, set their sons up in business when they were in their early 20s. They owned some shallow ponds that produced gazillians of crawfish, which the boys would harvest and then sell at catered parties at the Auburn football games. They had a panel van and trailer with cookers and icechest of beer and, while it wasn't anything you could make a living doing, it was good extra money about 8 weekends out of the year.

Anyways the sons (cousins to each other), started argueing over some business related issue and before it got out of hand their fathers took a bulldozer to ponds and broke the dams. Family harmony was more important than any amount of money.

crawdaddyjim50
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Most crawdads are farm raised. More in western Miss. than anywhere else I believe. Katrina put a cold hurtin on most of them tho. Too much plant material in the water killed the oxygen from what I am told. Could be wrong tho as I heard it from the guy charging me an arm and a leg for them. :D

ishmael
07-16-2006, 10:57 PM
I've never eaten the bug. I see them, cooked, occasionally in the seafood counter. We have our bugs too, the lobster. I have eaten that bug.

Interesting info. I figured there were ponds down that way. How else do I see a hundred cooked crayfish on ice at the local fish monger?

We, as kids, loved interacting. Those claws! We called them crabs.

P.S. Charlie, a dear cousin who died on the table of a bad heart at twelve, always made a big deal of crabs.