PDA

View Full Version : Computer help, please!

Tar Devil
07-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Computer shuts down... abruptly. Every day.

Have to punch the power button about a dozen times to light it up again.

Any clues?

Later,

Phil

High C
07-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Abrupt shutdown is often caused by overheating. Are all the fans turning? Is it packed with dust? Is it in a cabinet where it can't breathe?

Meerkat
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Can also be caused by failing power supply. If voltages get too far out of spec, a nifty circuit called a crowbar shuts things down before damage is caused - hopefully! ;)

Tar Devil
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Sounds like the fan is working. Computer is sitting where we've kept our computers for over a decade. This one has been there for about 6 years.

Power supply, huh?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Later,

Phil

S/V Laura Ellen
07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
You need to check both fans, the power supply fan and the fan on the CPU heat sink. Also get rid of a buildup of dust inside the box.

Meerkat
07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
First thing is to get a can of compressed air and blow out any dust! Pay particular attention to the fine "mat" that often coats the circuit boards.

You should do this with the power supply to, but it is EXTREMELY important that you ground the AC plug to itself before opening up the box. Depending on the type of power supply there can be some lethal current still lurking in capacitors for quite some time after you disconnect it from the wall.

Tar Devil
07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks. I'll open it up. I did this not too long ago.

Later,

Phil

Tar Devil
07-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Problem solved. Thanks for the advice.

Though I had cleaned it once recently, I did not disassemble the inner fan and vacum all the junk behind it. Evidently that was causing the power-offs.

Thanks again,

Phil