View Full Version : Fireworks Yech!

Dave Fleming
07-04-2006, 06:03 PM
As soon as the sun goes down the NOISE will start out here.:(

First Seaworld, a couple of miles away will pollute the air with their 4th Celebray.

Then at 9:PM the ****ratafrazagribleferschlegener*** Navy will let loose across the Bay on North Island.

Whoopie Doo!:mad:

Windows will rattle, car alarms will go off, dogs will howl and try to dig holes in carpets, ear drums will be assaulted, nose bleeds will start.

When I had the Newfie Help Dog, she would scoot for the deepest spot in the apartment and try to dig a hole in the lino. I would sit there with her head on my lap until it was all over and we would go for her nightly walk.

SWIMPAL and I will sit here with our nice Peltor Hearing Protectors on and try to read and sip a bit of Metaxa 7 Star.

How do you all cope?

07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Old curmudgeon! ;) :)

Dave Fleming
07-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Old curmudgeon

SMILE when ye say that PointyNosed One.;)

Whups I see ya did.:D

07-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Heck, those aren't fireworks...They are WMDs!

Actually, I don't like the 4th of July. Ever since 1826, one person in every generation in my family seems to have crossed the bar on this date. Go figure.

07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Does that mean that every day is the 4th of July in Iraq? :eek:

07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Careful Dave, with an attitude like that, that Beach Party kid is likely to show up and call ya an old fart.:D

07-04-2006, 06:23 PM
just gave my neighbor and is ten yr old boy a bag of GOOD rockets,,I'm off to the harbor, light up my kayak and hope the lightning doesn't show up

07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Anyone else catch the interview on NPR of a guy keeping alive the old art of fireworks?

He was preparing for a display in some small town in New York. It was an avocation he'd been working at for thirty years. He'd been working on it all year. He said he was having a devil of time collecting the chemicals in this post-911 world. Large companies can get them, but he's an artisan, and small sales have almost dried up.

I've always found joy in a good display, but haven't liked the urchin with a string of black cats. Unexpected explosions take minutes off your life! LOL.

Memphis Mike
07-04-2006, 07:17 PM
At least they're fireworks, Old Timey Man. They'll be bullets flying overhead in Memphis tonight.

Several years ago I had a 7.62 go through the windshield of my car as it sat parked in the driveway on July 4th.:mad:

07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I understand your feelings. I have a dog that is very afraid of loud booms. She was shot by some as**ole in her past life before she came to my house. Last nights thunder storm wasn't fun. Tonight with fireworks will be worse for the old gal. I wish they would quite selling fireworks.:mad:

07-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm taking two of the nephews to see fireworks tonight. This should be interesting.

S/V Laura Ellen
07-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I understand your feelings. I have a dog that is very afraid of loud booms. She was shot by some as**ole in her past life before she came to my house. Last nights thunder storm wasn't fun. Tonight with fireworks will be worse for the old gal. I wish they would quite selling fireworks.:mad:

My Cocker Spaniel insisted on sitting on my head and shaking during thunderstorms. It would take the mutt hours to calm baack down. The mutt often mistook fireworks for thunder. Not sure of the dogs thinking on this (not sure that the dog actually had higher brain function). The area we lived in has a week of nightly fireworks to celebrate July 1 and 4. Always a tough week.

Dave Fleming
07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
They'll be bullets flying overhead in Memphis tonight.

No worries about that here Hillbilly Man, just across the street from the San Diego Yachit Club.

All the upper crust and the wannbies belong so there is plenty of "Geheime Staatspolizei " cruising the area at night.:rolleyes:

PS: ya ever read any of Manly Wade Wellman's stuff about the Hills?

07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Saw a 40-minute display two blocks from home Saturday night.

Last two nights, the neighbors combined to blow through about a grand a night in alley entertainment ... more in about 30 minutes ... the kids love it, I love it ... dog hates it ... but I am not concerned about the silly dog's feelings. :-)

07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
The damn idiots around here have been shooting off fireworks every night for the last week. I am truly sick of them. Seems like every holiday, Christmas, Easter, etc. is an occasion for overkill with fireworks. Families in my neighborhood, which is purely working class, spend five and six hundred dollars on fireworks for the 4th alone. There is only so much that's interesting, then it gets boring. Wish they had them up their butts. One can only hope that the worst of them blow some fingers off and shorten their activity.

Ed Harrow
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
How do you all cope?

I shoot back!

Finbar ain't as tolerant of all this as he once was.

07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Fogged in here. We didn't bother going. We heard Castine's display go off though.

07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Great display in Portland tonight. Just got back. The trick is to get up really close so they're going off right over your head. :D

Personal fireworks are illegal in Maine so the neighborhood is pretty quiet. Some sneak them in from NH.

07-04-2006, 10:16 PM
excellent show in Annapolis,,the BOOMS made the sprayskirt bounce

07-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Kat is behind sofa and dawg is sitting between my legs......and now we have lightning again.....:D

Tar Devil
07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a dog that is very afraid of loud booms. :mad:

Yeah, River trembles hard and I cannot comfort him. Hope they get tired and go to bed soon.

07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Provincetown was a good show tonight. We watched from the end of MacMillen wharf, right underneath the fireworks. No riots tonight as far as I know :)

Dave Fleming
07-04-2006, 11:08 PM
9:01 and right on time the ****ferschlenger**** people over on North Island began their PreCoital fireworks.

Didn't they get enough of that stuff over in Afgooziestan and Ickyrag?
:mad: :mad: :mad:

07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Somebody dye some Charmin red, white and blue and TP Dave's house.:D

Memphis Mike
07-04-2006, 11:20 PM
"PS: ya ever read any of Manly Wade Wellman's stuff about the Hills?"

Nope, can't say that I have.

Sue and I went to the neighborhood display tonight. I guess it pays at least once a year to live by the most exclusive country club in Memphis. They have their own personal fireworks display that can be seen from my neighborhood.:rolleyes:

Starting to get quiet now and I haven't heard any assault rifles tonight. That's a good sign.:eek:

Dave Fleming
07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
The boom boom brigade has gone home.

Now I can watch my Looney Tunes dvds in peace.
:D :D :D :D :D

Paul Girouard
07-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Time to go out to watch ours :) Neighborhoods pretty qiuet , hope the city got a good bang for there $15,000.00 all collected from private business, maybe a buck or two from NASWI:)

Enjoy your looney toons Dave . Have even N. Korea got into the fireworks today :o

Ya old crummigon ;) :)

Wild Dingo
07-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Hate the things.. cant and never have understood the grand displays a total waste of money that could be better spent elsewhare

Personal fireworks have been banned here for years so thats something we dont have to worry about

But those $100,000+ displays!! Friggin drive me nuts!! what a bloody waste... lucky for us so far we dont do the 4th July thing... yet :rolleyes: but just as that other disgusting thing came here halloween so will this 4th July thing come just a matter of time I guess :(

07-05-2006, 12:34 AM
My dog is afraid of them but likes the stereo. I turn on the stereo just loud enough to cancel out most of the noise or the surprise of it. Works like a charm. He slept through the whole thing. He's not real spoiled or anything like that.