PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Minor/ Robb White

Tylerdurden
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I just picked up the August issue of WB and read of Robb White's passing. I had been coresponding with him since his article on the Rescue Minor in WB with the intention of building one myself.
It had become a pretty serious project with a Bow roof shed being built to accomidate it ( site work being done this week). The plans were recived and copies made, and the order for the motor worked up. All this time up until late april I had been writing back and forth with him about all the little details of his construction, I must say my respect for him grew with every letter. I loved his approach and his only care was that another be built. He was completely unselfish in sharing his expertise. I will miss him and wish him well on his journey.
What I understand now is that it must be built (Moral imperitave) and I have some fears being bassically an Amatuer having only spent a few years in the boat building bussiness as an Electrician/Mechanic.
I have built cold molded before and that was the intent for this project , But the questions I had on lofting it for that method will not be answered as We hadn't gotten that far by mail yet.
My lofting skills are seriously lacking and I hope someone here will have an idea how I can work this out.
Any Ideas will be appreciated, Mark

StevenBauer
07-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe you could contact Alex Hadden up in Georgetown. He built 'Noble Cab' a similar Atkin tunnel stern boat. Many here feel a powerful sence of loss at Robb's passing. Did you know he was a member of this forum? If you use the Advanced Search you can find either all his posts or all the threads that he started. Lots of good reading, get comfortable. His username was Old Bingey. Have you read all the Messing About In Boat articles on Rescue Minor? There must be dozens of them.
I'm right in Portland and I'd love to follow your progress once you get going.

Steven

G. Schollmeier
07-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Rescue Minor.
I have read a lot about RM and have thought about ordering the plans a few times. Just to many boats and not enough time. What are your questions about the lofting? If you are building cold mold method I would think there will be no trouble with the lofting.

Gary

Tylerdurden
07-03-2006, 05:51 AM
The problem with lofting this boat from the plans is Atkins meant this boat to be built in production with a unique method of construction using plywood. Kinda of a early stich and glue panel construction with only two molds and pre-bent plywood panels. I in no way have the skillset needed to build like Robb White did it. I know he didn't expect me to build like he would so with that in mind I decided to go cold molded as that is where my experience lies.
I thought I might have to go to a marine architect to have the plans modified for my use but to be honest that is a buget buster fo me.
For the reason that I will not be the only one using this craft in the future I opted to go with a universal deisel w/transmission instead of
Robb's setup which pushed my buget to the limit.
Of course in addition, I needed a good enclosed shelter to work in, So I am building a 14x24 Bow roof shed by David Stimsons plan, including a wood stove setup to allow me to continue into this winter. That also has to be included in the cost so you see I am limited to an amateur build.

Ron Carter
07-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Robb built everything by eye. He used coper tubing to rough out the shape he wanted to follow at the various stations. I would loft the plans simply for all of the information that can be pulled from them during construction. I just finished and Atkin "Alone". I followed the offsets carefully until I got to the sheer. As lofted it didn't please me on the form so I modified it to suit my tastes. The interior layout was all my own thoughts as well as substituting a dagger board for a centerboard. It all worked out amazingly well and I can't launch without a conversation about how good looking she is. Lofting is important but you needen't be a slave to every small detail.

Spokaloo
07-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Tyler, I am in a similar boat. Very little experience and very much enthusiasm for the design. I live in an area that has a VERY shallow bar to cross to the main body of water, so RM intrigued me heavily. I just sent my order to Pat today.

I intend to build in his method with a lean towards today's stitch and glue methodology, so it should be an interesting parallel. There is also another forum lurker thats building RM in sheet aluminum, which should be getting back from the welder soon. He is over on the east coast as well, might be a good brain to pick for RM related information.

As it develops, lets see photos!

E

windmill4048
07-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Folks,

I have worked for over three months trying to find a builder that would create a Rescue Minor similar to what Robb White did. I have not had much success.

The boat is a very complex shape and apparently poses several serious problems for strip or cold molding. It seems that there would be many, many man hours required to build the boat.

Even falling back to the plans and building in plywood and with hard chines is difficult and time consuming due to the large amount of rabitting required.

Another thing I ran into is concerns with dry storage of the boat. Due to the wide tunnel and narrow surface at the stern you have to be very careful with how the boat is supported at rest out of the water. A cradle will have to be built for any trailer. See the picture of Robb's boat in the 6/15 Messin about.

All that said I'm still working on it. The boat is ideal for the Appalachee Bay area of use.

Wes White
07-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Actually, the boat is supported on the trailer only by the stern roller and a plastic stem bumper that the bow sits on. What looks like a cradle is just a board running crossways about halfway along with a padded triangle on each end. These contact the turn of the bilge on each side to keep the boat from rocking. He tied it down from each gunwale.

Tylerdurden
07-10-2006, 05:38 AM
As far as trailering is concerned, I have thought about laminating a couple of bunks to follow the curve of the hull, The rise up forward would catch the boat while bringing her in and then she would drop down a few inches just locking her in. Can't try it until the hull is done though.

Tom Robb
07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Wes,
Robb was your dad? We're all sorry about his passing over the bar. He was a stimulating thinker and welcome voice in the community.
You're more than welcome here.
Tom

landlocked sailor
07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
I'd also like to welcome you Wes. I read of your dad's passing with real regret. I enjoyed his MAIB writings over the years. If I'm not mistaken, you've had an article or two in that magazine as well? Again, my condolences to you and your family and welcome to the forum. Hope you continue to post. Rick Lapp

Wes White
07-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Thank you. I am Robb's younger son (of two).

Spokaloo
07-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Wes, sorry for your loss.

As you can see by multiple threads, many forumites here are very interested in your Father's work, abilities, creative ingenuity, and skill to boot. Thanks for getting in here and talking with us!

Eric
Spokane, Wa

Sal's Dad
07-24-2006, 05:53 AM
I am that "lurker" building in aluminum; I have some experiences to share, and have been posting regularly in the Yahoo "AtkinBoats" forum. The RM plans are not "ready for prime time", there are a number of small errors that would cause big problems in plywood - particularly with the massive scantlings Atkin specified.

Alex Hadden is my friend and neighbor; he reports that many people have contacted him about building a boat "just like Robb's" - a tall order, with no plans, no tulip poplar, and no White...

Robb was so supportive of my project; as I contemplate names for it, I wonder if there might be some way to honor him... his last email to me ended:
"I am fixing to have to go into the hospital on Tuesday morning
and when (If?) I get the hell out of there, I am going, dammit,
to the coast and ain't coming back until I get good and
dadblamed ready so email will be spotty at best.
Good luck."

If his passing hit me so hard, I can only imagine the loss felt by those close to him.

Sal's Dad (aka Curtis Betts)