PDA

View Full Version : Sticky finish

L.W. Baxter
07-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Not specifically boat-related but close enough...

I've built a new fir deck for the bed of my truck, yesterday finished it with Cabot Clear Solutions over the raw wood. I followed the directions...except for the one about not finishing in direct sunlight.

Well, about half of the surface absorbed the oil well and now shows a nice flat finish. But other parts are glossy and sticky, and I don't think there is any way that it's going to dry at this point, let alone show a uniform finish. I've tried rubbing a spot with mineral spirits, and it causes spotting, and doesn't really take care of the stickiness unless I rub the whole finish off.

Other than never ignoring the directions on the can ever again, are there any suggestions for fixing this?

Paul Girouard
07-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Never used it but if it's a oil finish why not trye a bit more of the same , oils cut there self some what , Add a tad and see if you can wipe it off / down . Other than that a heat gun and scraper to loosen / remove the top skinned over oil ?

Justa couple of things I'd try.

Directions , who needs directions , we're CARPENTERS !:D

Jeesh I crack me up some times :rolleyes:

L.W. Baxter
07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Exactly, Paul.

One of the other directions on the can strictly prohibits a second coat. One coat only, additional coats every year or two, when the wood shows sufficient absorbency. I think I may have caused my problem by overworking the oil in spots, the hot sun caused the wood to seal up quickly, and when I passed over again with my brush, the finish didn't have a chance to soak in. Thus the stickiness.

I'm leaning towards chemically stripping the whole thing and trying again. It's only about 40 sq ft anyway. Ahh, the things we do for fun.

P.S., I'll try your suggestions on spots first, thanks.

GregH
07-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Have never used a Cabot product, but had a similar experience (not on a boat) with a new Min-Wax finish, their supposed "fast-drying" poly clear satin finish: upon opening the can, and stiring, I found about a 1/4" layer of thick sediment on the bottom of the can. Thinking it was old stock, I called Min-Wax. Using the date code, the rep verified that it was actually only a few days old, and that the sediment was supposed to be there! He said that it's the material that produces the satin finish, and that it needs to be stirred frequently during application. As for the "quick dryng", it actually took 3 full days for the first to dry, and it looked blotchy as heck while doing so!!! Subsequent sanding and additional coats went on as normal. Really weird stuff to say the least!!! Next time, I'll use the slow-drying stuff that only takes a few hours!