PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream for breakfast...

Milo Christensen
06-30-2006, 09:54 AM
"Just think, Milo, you can have all the ice cream you want."
Response in a low rumbling grumble: "I don't want any freeking ice cream." "How about a nice bowl of jello? You can eat all the jello you want?"
Response in a low rumbling grumble: "I don't like freeking jello when I'm not sick." Thinking I love this woman, but if she doesn't just go away and let me crawl back into my man cave and be miserably sick, I'll...

What they don't tell you is that when you have acute tonsillitis at my age (at any age I guess) you don't want to swallow anything. Why, then, when your throat hurts like hell, do you end up swallowing much more than normal, with every swallow so painful you wince?

Did you know they won't take your tonsils out when you're my age unless they swell up so bad you can't breath anymore. Then they think about removing them, but only when the swelling goes down, which in my case may be the day before Doomsday. But it's like getting your roof done. Once the swelling goes down, they don't need to be taken out anymore.

Oh, and don't get sick on a summer weekend in the US. You'll be lucky to get some twit "assistant" who wasn't good enough to go to med school and be a real doctor who'll give you the wrong freeking antibiotic. Then two days later when you finally get to see someone who knows throats will sit there and say, "The doctor at the clinic gave you WHAT? Throw those away when you get home."

Three different antibiotics in the last 15 days. I'll probably end up being patient zero for the new, completely antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria that sweeps around the world slowly, painfully killing all who come in contact with it from acutely painful tonsillitis. But you can eat all the ice cream you want.

JimM
06-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Milo
Sorry to hear about your tonsilitis. Nasty stuff. I had tonsilitis so many times as a kid that my tonsils eroded away from the infections. Hope your feeling better soon.

Meerkat
06-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Suck ice chips.

RichKrough
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Tell her that mere ice cream won't do and that your suffering can only be alleviated by a well prepared French Sorbet like this recipe.
She will have to go shopping, prepare it and freeze it, should keep her busy awhile.

Raspberry Sorbet
*1-1/2 cups sugar
* 1 cup water
* 1-1/2 lbs. raspberries (or 2 12-oz. packages unsweetened frozen raspberries, thawed)
* 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)

PREPARATION:
1. Stir the sugar and water together in a saucepan. Place over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

2. Increase heat to med-high and boil for 30 seconds without stirring. Remove from heat, pour into heatproof bowl and cool completely.

When cooled, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

4. Place the berries in a food processor and purée. Pour the purée into a large bowl and stir in the 1-2/3 cups of the syrup mixture.

5. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into another bowl. Press with a rubber spatula and scrape the mixture from the underside of the strainer.

6. Taste and stir in lemon juice, if desired.

7. Cover and place in the freezer.

8. When well chilled, transfer to an ice-cream machine and process according to manufacturer's directions.

9. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve.

To serve:

Place the sorbet into chilled glass bowls or champagne coupes. Serve immediately

huisjen
06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Popcorn with lots of salt works amazingly well for more common sore throats. It's almost like gargling salt water, but with something to scrape away the excess mucus.

This, on the other hand, reminds me of the guys who I've worked with that talk about their uncles who took 'em out behind the barn and taught them how to drink. Ya gotta tip that bottle back and open your throat, so it just pours down without you really swallowing at all.

Good Luck Milo.

Dan

brad9798
06-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Folks have said you were Dutch ... if so,I ask how is the wheel chair ... if not, I apologize ...

huisjen
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Who? Me? With a name like Huisjen, of course I'm Dutch. But no, I'm not Dutch Rub. Or did you mean Milo?

Dan

brad9798
06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Milo ...

huisjen
06-30-2006, 06:02 PM
No, no.... He was Cedar Salvage.

Phillip Allen
06-30-2006, 06:05 PM
kinda makes ya grumpy...huh?