PDA

View Full Version : get rid of hornets nest?

geeman
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Last week we found a hornets or wasps nest ,or whatever they are.I shot it at night with wasp killer.Next day they were back in business.Last night I went out after dark and destroyed the nest with the water hose.This morning their back out there rebuilding it,,,again.The wife is allergic to any type of stings so I need to get rid of these guys.Any suggestions?This is the large ball shaped nest.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
a nest with the wasps on the inside...outa sight?

geeman
06-29-2006, 11:31 AM
YA Phil for the most part they are inside the nest ,correct

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
http://www.vespa-crabro.de/baldfaced/baldfaced.htm

http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/insects/wasps/paper_wasp/

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
if they are inside...go out at night and sack em up while they are inside best if a copule of hours before daylight...you should get all of them that way

wear a vail and gloves...long sleves etc...or (better) get a beekeeper to help

Paul Pless
06-29-2006, 11:38 AM
go out at night and sack em up

remember to take a video camera along as well

if all goes well, nothing gained nothing lost by the video, but
if it turns bad you've got a chance to win 10 grand from America's Funniest Videos.

geeman
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
If it wasnt for my wife's allergic problem,I'd leave em alone but she swells up and requires shots quick so her throat doesnt close up,for that reason I have to get rid of em pretty quickly.Thanks guys

dmede
06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Wrap rag to end of long pole, light on fire and apply to nest. Liberal use of WD40 helps extend your range:D

Seriously though, burn the nest a bit, it will kill everything inside or buzzing rigth around it. Then knock it down.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
have you checked out the links above? ...I think it interesting

geeman
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Yes I did Phil,thats why I'd leave them alone if I could,they do have their uses as far as controlling other pests (flies),but wifes medical problems over rule their benefit.was very interesting reading in those links.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 11:57 AM
check out local beekeepers and state apiarist

brad9798
06-29-2006, 12:04 PM
ROTFLMAO, Paul! America's Funniest Videos!!!!

Actually, to add to that that potential video--

Do it around Noon ... put on a blind fold, spin five times and then start whacking a la pinata time!

cs
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
A few years ago I had a problem with a yellow jacket nest I couldn't get rid of. I would kill them with tons of spray and they would die down for a day or two and than be right back.

What I did was kill it with spray and while they were down I coated the whole area and inside all the cracks with Sevin Dust. No problem ever again.

Chad

geeman
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I could just about SWEAR that when I sprayed them the other night with spray they sucked it up and spit it back at me LOL

Moonshadow
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Hm. I wonder if, like with bacteria, they're becoming resistent to our poison?

The only ones that really scare me are the baldfaced hornets. They're the ones who build that marvelous, ovoid, paper nest. Disturb a big nest of them -- they can get basketball-sized -- and you can be in trouble. Agressive as African bees, very nasty tempered. When I've found one of their nests where I or my animals might be, I've always done what you said. Wait till the cool of evening and nuke 'em with that spray. Soak the nest, don't be shy. They've always come tumbling out, dead almost on contact.

I don't like doing it. They're just trying to make a living. But sometimes you've got to circle the wagons.

cs
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
The Sevin dust works great. It stays around and any returning wasp get it them and take it back to the nest and get what is there.

Try it, it worked great for me.

Chad

Ken Hutchins
06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
What am I the only one who likes to see them suffer?:D
AT NIGHT spray the nest concentrating on the entrance hole.
What with you ask?:confused:
Spray adhesive, :D it sticks to them real good, their wings stick to each other or their bodies and the nest.:D The ones that make it out of the nest fall to the ground and bury themselves with the dirt which sticks to them.:) Ya see they can't fly with the wings stuck.:)
Wait a day or 2, then take down the nest, crush it to make sure to eggs don't hatch.

Nicholas Carey
06-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Wrap rag to end of long pole, light on fire and apply to nest. Liberal use of WD40 helps extend your range:D No need for WD-40...You need a flamethrower...

:D :D :D

make it from PVC pipe and brass plumbing fittings. Uses compressed air and denatured fuel alcohol. Ignitor is a propane torch.

http://www.boredrigid.com/link/445-Make-Your-Own-Flamethrower.html

http://www.boredrigid.com/_images/flame/animation2.gif

http://www.boredrigid.com/_images/flame/18-finishedproduct1.jpg

Moonshadow
06-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Insecta can seem really strange, creepy, to humans. The bees and wasps are particularly so, because they can badly hurt if enraged. But really watching any of them can be a bit disconcerting. Watching them pupate, as many do, is rather bizaree by our measures. It feels almost like a grade B horror movie. It can also be strikingly beautiful.

I once had the honor of watching a major emersion of dragonflys. A creature that had just lived some months under the water crawled up dock posts in the hundreds, maybe thousands, broke open in a spring afternoon, and after a half an hour drying, took to wing. We, my friend and I, were overwhelmed watching it.

huisjen
06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Many wasps hate the smell of mint oil. Victor, the mousetrap people, used to sell some stuff in a can that was mostly mint oil and laurel methyl sulphate (shampoo by any other name). The shampoo worked to saturate the nest and kill 'em, as well as for anti-aircraft duty while you sprayed. The mint oil made them want to leave and not come back.

All completely non toxic.

Dan

George Ray
06-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Spray the nest and the immediate area with bug repellent and they will figure out for themselves that they don't want to be there. It takes a while (hours to a day and a half) because they have to override the nesting/homing insinct, but they eventually take off. How long would you keep coming back to the site of your former home after it was destroyed by say a tornado?

Alan D. Hyde
06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
...under $1 this time of year.

It's made of ether.

Spray this on the hive late at night; thoroughly saturate it.

They'll go to sleep and never wake up.

BUT, unless you want a fire, give the ether a while to dissapate (which it will do very quickly) before you put ANY fire, flame, sparks, cigarettes, etc. ANYWHERE near it. It is of course highly volatile.

Alan

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
If you are not 100% comfortable dealing with this, find a bee-keeper and if need be, pay him (or her).
There are lots of approaches - gasoline works - smashing up the nest works, I've used potassium cyanide and that works.

The larvae are good fishing bait.

Paul Pless
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
I've used potassium cyanide and that works.

come on, you've got to elaborate on that

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
In the UK ground nesting wasps are fairly common just put about a teaspoonfull of KCN into the entrance and the job's done.

Used to be sold under the trade name "CYMAG" but at home we usually had a couple of hundred grams of lab reagent.

You can speed the process with some weak acid.....

cs
06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Sevin dust. Try it.

Worked wonders with my yellow jacket problem.

Chad

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
In the UK ground nesting wasps are fairly common just put about a teaspoonfull of KCN into the entrance and the job's done.

Used to be sold under the trade name "CYMAG" but at home we usually had a couple of hundred grams of lab reagent.

You can speed the process with some weak acid.....

I hope you are very careful with that stuff...I wouldn't even want it in the dirt of my yard

Memphis Mike
06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Yep Geeman. I had the same problem. Ya know what worked for me. Sevin Dust. Yep. That's right. Sevin Dust. I just sprinkled a little on a few of them and they carried it back to the hive and it killed all of them deader than hell.:D

Sevin Dust. That's what I'd use.:D

sawcutmill
06-29-2006, 06:27 PM
never had the problem.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-29-2006, 06:28 PM
I hope you are very careful with that stuff...I wouldn't even want it in the dirt of my yard

Reasonably careful - very careful is handling the solution with a mouth pipette.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Reasonably careful - very careful is handling the solution with a mouth pipette.

NO DOUBT!!! (don't they make little bulbs for that?)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
NO DOUBT!!! (don't they make little bulbs for that?)

They do now.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
They do now.

ever notice the taste of Kool-Aide on the pipette

merlinron
06-29-2006, 06:57 PM
sparying the nest from the outside, at night doesn't always work, even if you shoot it right up the entrance. those situations that saw the bees return after a day or so is because the queen was not killed. if she is not killed they will continue to rebuild the nest no matter what condition it is in, if two workers survive they will work their buts off to rebuild the nest. as long as you destroy the queen the nest will be abandoned by the rest of the workers, as they will seek out a new nest with a fertile queen. you have to almost completely destroy the nest to get at the queen, as well. the sevin dust actually does the best job, because the workers will get it on them and transport it to all of the bees inside the hest, eventually, in a matter of days, getting some on the queen as they preen her. when she dies from the poison, the games over. the only exception to this is the possibility that the current queen is coincedently in her last few months of life, and a new queen is being prepared for the nest, but many times the new queen will leave the nest taking some of the workers along and start her own new hive, leaving the old hive to waste away with the waning queen, when she's gone the remaing bees from the old hive will migrate to the new one. bees cannot see at night to fly, the chances of being stung at night are very low, even if they come out of the nest. if you go at a hive at night put a large light sorce several yards away from the nest, when the bees come out they will go straight for the lighted area and will tend to stay around it. many people get stung at night because they will take a small flash light with them to see..... it also lets the bees see what the problem is.

geeman
06-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Your right about the flashlite thing,I shined a lite on it for a second to see where to aim the hose and a few came at me,I threw the lite down.Completely destroyed the nest last nite.They've been busy all day rebuilding it,this time tho I will be able to thoroughly soak it an all who dare to be there because its still in open mode and not closed up yet.I'll report my progress tomorrow on this problem post haste ,or failing that,as soon as I get home from the ER.

Phillip Allen
06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I know you need to protect your wife, but I'd love to have one around here (hornet nest that is...don't need any more wife...ever)

Moonshadow
06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
What stuff are you using? The Raid I used last time, not to promo a brand, sprayed a heavy spray for at least a minute. Yeah, go after the opening 'cause they will come for you, even at twenty feet on a chilly night, but if you soak the whole nest in poison who's coming back to live there? The larvae, the queen, either dead or without a home.

No me gusta la problema.

I used to have a problem with paper wasps building nests inside my door frame and windows. In no way as bothersome as hornets, but I didn't like their swooping and potential sting. I sprayed them a few times, explaining my position. I had one back here this spring, thinking about it, but mostly they seem to have gotten the idea. We no longer have a police action in progress.

Mud daubers, solitary hymenoptera, are rather fascinating, and I leave them be, for the most part. Their nests, which look like mud Pan pipes, are remarkable structures. The critters are wicked looking in human terms, true wasp waisted, pretty big, with an aggresive seeming demeanor. I've never been threatened by them, so live and let live.

geeman
06-29-2006, 08:16 PM
The only time I mess with the mud daubers is in spring when I find em on the house itself,which I cant allow.Have found em in the boat cant allow that either ,but anywhere else is ok,as long as its not too close to the doors or where my lady tends to be.This one was right over the steps to the front porch so there was some danger there for her if she happened to draw their attention some way.

geeman
06-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Ran over one of those ground nest bees nest one time years ago with the tractor,,I happened to pick that spot to stop the tractor for a second not realizing I was parked on their nest hole.They let me know it by attacking full force.I went runnin for the house pullin my shirt off as they had got underneath it and was stinging the hell outa any skin they could find.That one had me a bit sick the next day from the stings but I mended.They didnt after dark that night.I poured gas down the hole and from a distance set em on fire.

Moonshadow
06-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the largest hornet/wasp in NA is the cicada killer. So-called because they use cicada as their brood food, catching them, stinging them, and laying eggs on the still-living body. Again, a little icky. Another solitary. I've never seen them in Maine. Sandy places in Ohio and the mid-Atlantic. Disturbed soil.

The story is told that a cicada is too big for even this beast to fly off with. So it hauls the stunned body up a tree, over and over, to gain altitude back to the nest, a simple underground burrow.

Seeing one is very impressive. I gaurentee you'll never forget it or mistake it for something else. Striped, yellow and black, with an abdomen as big as your thumb. Big, but not terribly agressive.

I watched a bunch of nests in disturbed sand of a playground, of all places. There must have been a couple dozen who'd found a place, in a place children played. They are retiring, but I'll bet more than one got into it with a kid there. Nothing I could do but watch. I knew them, and didn't want to make a fuss.