PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a constitutional amendment banning flag desecration?

Phillip Allen
06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Should there be an amendment to the US constitution to ban flag desecration?

Evan Showell
06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone who takes the time to understand our Constitution realizes how insulting such a proposed amendment is.

Evan Showell
06-28-2006, 12:08 PM
For what it's worth, I've always believed that flag washing would make a much more powerful statement than flag burning -- you know, public square, big old washboard and tub and old glory in a tub o' suds.

Moonshadow
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm offended when I see someone desecrating our flag. Our country, for which it stands, has many problems. Yet we do a pretty good job of working them out.

I was taught to never let our flag touch the ground, always take it in at sunset, general respect.

I understand the passions, and the hatred, but the flag isn't about the politics of the moment, it's about the foundations, the very real ideals. I wouldn't suggest trying to burn it at a veteran's rally.

That said, let them burn it. It matters not a whit really. The more you fight this sort of disrepect, the stronger it becomes. A constitutional amendment? What is wrong with us?

I'll tell you, we're bloody frightened, and this sort of effluvia comes out of fear.

Osborne Russell
06-28-2006, 03:47 PM
This isn't the first time this subject has come up, and I doubt if it will be the last. If it's a "non-issue," why have 50 state legislatures lobbied Congress to deal with it?

The Reds to whom they pander are ignorant. They wouldn't know the Bill of Rights if it bitch-slapped them, which it does from time to time (hence the name "Red" -- ???)

Meerkat
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
The flag burning amendment is a smokescreen for the real burning: of the constitution! :(

Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by.

skuthorp
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
"Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by."

I'll not vote in your poll, but jingoism never washed with me.

Leon m
06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
LOOK...pretty butterflieeeees.

Phillip Allen
06-28-2006, 07:05 PM
"Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by."

I'll not vote in your poll, but jingoism never washed with me.

I really wanted all countries to vote but I had never done a poll before and was in a hurry to get out of the house...sorry.

marwesmed
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I'll agree that you can burn the flag if you promiss to throw a couple of lawyers and politicans in there with the flag.
That way you can protest and make the country a better place at the same time.

PatCox
06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
We would have to consecrate it before it could be desecrated.

rbgarr
06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I vote #4.

Theodora
06-29-2006, 01:18 AM
How about dealing with the issues that make people want to burn it? Does anyone know why, by the way?

I feel that some people get too patriotic at times - it can lead to all sorts of trouble with others over the water. Imagine, if you will, that each country was a hut in a village and the guys in one hut started to parade around and sing songs about how good they were. Wouldn't that be a little irritating to all the other huts close by?

It's a good idea to relax, enjoy ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. This constitutional amendment business is laughable and certainly indicates some insecurity. Norman's right on the money.

TomF
06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
I feel that some people get too patriotic at times ...."I love my country too much to be a nationalist" - Camus

Osborne Russell
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
We would have to consecrate it before it could be desecrated.

Well put!