PDA

View Full Version : The Palace Flophouse and Grill(AKA, small classics of American literature)

Moonshadow
06-28-2006, 02:06 AM
In what book did the Palace Flophouse and Grill play as a central character? No Googling!

A few hints. It's a short novel, a quick read, highly entertaining in an inimitable American way. Better than the author's more esteemed works because he lets his hair down, hasn't an agenda. Frogs become currency in one hijinks that is so funny I still laugh, years after reading it, just remembering.

I gave it away with that last one, to anyone who's half-well-read in American literature.

Andy Bangs
06-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Sweet Thursday or Cannery Row.

dmede
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Andy has it. If you like the comedic side of Steinbeck, try The Log From the Sea of Cortez. Not a story, but a documentation of Johns travells with the man he based "Doc" on through a "scientific" tour the Sea of Cortez. Some prety dry reading in parts but some real funny stuff too. And the authors notes in the end really ellaborate on who "Doc" was and how he ended up in Cannery Row.

Also a good description of how people have an inate fascination with boats.

Moonshadow
06-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Steinbeck wrote some fine books. I admire his tenacity. But he never schemed a better book than "Cannery Row."

It was the middle of his career. He'd written "Grapes of Wrath" was working on "East of Eden" and in the middle of it decided to tell the tale of Mack and the boys, and Lee Chong, and Doc, oh Doc, and model T's carburators as more copacetic than girl's clitorises.

Remarkable power. Force of personality.

Don Olney
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
If you like Cannery Row, I recommend A Confederate General from Big Sur by Richard Brautigan. Funny frog scene in there too.

Moonshadow
06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Dmede,

Doc was a real person, was eccentric, engaged with the fauna, really perfomed an occasional abortion for a whore on cannery row. A pretty good place to go, he knew about sterile technique. Smart as a whip.

Steinbeck is in the wonderful tradition of American bards. Singing the praise, not denying the faults. Radical, alive, electric. I've read just about everything of his but his late King Arthur stuff. I've never been able to get into that. My favorite is "Travels With Charley." "I see you're traveling with a nigger! Oh, sorry it's a dog."

A very close second is "Cannery Row."

Meerkat
06-28-2006, 01:34 PM
It's a good thing Jack's off the forum. :D