PDA

View Full Version : Sail Repair

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
While out sailing in extreme wind one of the batten pockets on my sail tore open :(. The sail is kinda old, I have no idea how old the sail is. Anyway anybody know what I should ask in order to find a qualified sail repair.

Also since I'm addicted to sailing and the 4th weekend coming up I is it possible that a repair can be made by a professional while you wait ? Its just the batten pocket. not a rip in the sail.

What says you all.

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
This is the closest place I could find

http://samalotmarine.com/samalotmarine/index.html

anyone know anyplace else ?

Ron Carter
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Is the material torn or just the stitching gone? If it is the stitching a home sewing machine can make a temporary repair. Zig Zag if you have it but straight will work in a pinch.

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
The pocket is torn down the middle :( and I don't have a sewing machine

Ron Carter
06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Suspicious of the cloth if that is the case. Sounds like a complete inspection is in order shortly. Is there a tailor in town? Might be mended for the short term. I suspect a tailor would know how to hand stitch something like that. OTOH missing one batten won't totally ruin the shape of the sail. Thinking of getting on the other side of the 4th.

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Problem is the dacron pocket is ripped, so unless a local tailor has a small bit of dacron I'm SOL.

I'm thinking clear packing tape or duct tape to get me through the weekend.

John B
06-27-2006, 07:43 PM
if its just the pocket, not the sail, then gimmick it for the weekend.
sticky back.

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:49 PM
gimmick ????

Don Z.
06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Joe,
I think he means to "rig" or "mickey mouse" it...

If it's just a tear in the batten pocket, you can get away with a temporary slab of sticky back gluing the tear together. Not a permanent repair, but it will get you to next Wednesday...

John B
06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
yeah, bodge it. :) go sailing.IF its just the pocket.
how much roach do you have anyway.. you might sail fine without the batten altogether.
some medical tapes are good for that too.' leukoplast' was one that worked ok a couple of times back when we had sails so ripe you had to check fingernails before letting anyone furl it.

Joe (SoCal)
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
What's the recommended "rig" the tear is shredded 1/3 the way down the center of the pocket.

Like I said I'm thinking clear duct tape.

Canoeyawl
06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
West marine has sail repair tape. I keep a small roll in my ditty bag on the boat.
It is available at most chandlerys
2" or 3" wide
http://images.westmarine.com/full/02243_f.jpg

Buddy Sharpton
06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Joe, the boat store will/should have a 2" wide roll of sail repair pressure sensitive tape in white. Advantage is it won't leave goo on the sail when you repair it for real. White duct tape won't either if you get it off soon after you sail. White gas ( Coleman fuel)will remove that goo as well. I'd be caught sneaking into the fabric store and buying the heaviest white dacron and a hand sewing needle and doing for good my own self.

Joe (SoCal)
06-28-2006, 11:28 AM
No Waste Marine in these parts and the local chandlery doesn't have any in stock. Clear duct tape worked great. Gonna go put the sail back on and get her ready for the weekend :D

Evan Showell
06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Check with UK sails in City Island. They can probably repair the problem. My brother and dad have used them extensively and are quite pleased with them. Tom Nye is a fellow I've spoken with there.

ssor
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Dacron Sail Repair Tape, 3"
Three inch wide, adhesive backed, White Dacron Sail Repair Tape, 15 foot roll. Ideal for mainsail or Genoa repair.

Price: $6.25
http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat278.htm

Isn't the internet wonderful!;)

brad9798
06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Forget the sails ... just use the Honda! ;-)

phiil
06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
And then, there's always the new high-tech solution: A needle.

Charlie Santi
06-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Too bad you are on the other side of the state. Your sail repair sounds like an easy one and my sewing machine is setup. I am repairing a set of canvas sides for a popup camper and putting in new window screens today. If need be I am 5 miles from exit 51 off rt. 17/86 be glad to help.
Charlie

Joe (SoCal)
06-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks Charlie that's real nice offer.

The patch will work out for the weekend probably much longer no problem. But I did speak with a real nice sail maker over at Samalot Marine in West Haverstraw, NY) and he is going to take a look at it next week. I also asked him to give me a price on a new sail since this one is kinda at the end of it's useful life. If his price is not so bad I may ask him to take measurements and have one made over the winter. I might even increase the foot and the gaff peak a lil.

If he is too pricey and I'm not crazy about his patch work I will send it off to my guys up at Gamble and Hunter in MA. They have a great rep and did the sails for Dove that I should get next week.