PDA

View Full Version : Bottom paint

fred jeffrey
06-24-2006, 04:40 AM
I have a w/f boat that spends a lot of time on the trailer.It presently has Petit "Easy Poxy"on the bottom and the rest of the hull.The boat is in freshwater lakes most of the time it is used.It is a 22ft Devlin design boat,"Surf Scoter" launched summer 05.I would prefer to keep the boat in a slip at a marina to be able to get more use of the boat but the paint supplier says not to leave the boat in the water more than 3 or 4 days at a time as it is not good for the paint, with no explanation for this.I have emailed Petit with no response,now I'm hoping someone here might have knowledge as to what happens to the paint if submerged in water longer than 3 or 4 daysand if there is an alternative paint I could use to allow the boat to be in the water for longer periods of time?I have no experience with bottom paints and I am a novice boater/builder.

George Ray
06-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Many trailer boats have bottom paint and if they happen to end up in the water for a month or a year instead of a few days I never thought of that as a problem. Certainly, one of the major's (petit, interlux...etc) has a bottom paint that is hard enough for trailering and tolerant of wet and dry.
We never really have given it a thought with our runabouts that may sit in the water for most of a season or may stay on the trailer and splash occasionally. Interlux-Micron CSC is what we have used in the last year or so but for no particular reason and I think there must be several other very good types for wet/dry bottom paint.
For the steel schooner we use 'E-paint' (no metallic poisons/makes Hydogen-Peroxide with sunlight)) and have been happy with it. There are some chips in the epoxy coating on the hull and if we had a copper based bottom paint then the paint would be trying to eat the hull at the bare spots. As it is, in two years none of the zincs have noticably degraded.

Todd Bradshaw
06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Easypoxy, Brightside and similar paints will peel if left submerged very long. They seem to work fine in the splash/wave zone just above the waterline, but leave the boat in for a week or so and the wet part on the bottom will usually get pretty bad. If you want to moor the boat, you'll need to remove them and paint the bottom (epoxy-coated or fiberglassed, I assume) with just bottom paint. The one that I like best for easy application and continuing performance on trailered boats is Hydrocoat (water-based, no nasty fumes, easy clean-up, pretty tough, survives long periods out of the water, can be burnished and is ablative so there is no long-term buildup of old dead paint).

fred jeffrey
06-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you both very much for all the info.It has been very helpful.Todd, I kind of had the feeling it might peel off.I had a vision of the whole bottom off in one big sheet.I will have to find a supplier for both the products mentioned here.Thanks again to both of you George and Todd.

Clinton B Chase
06-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Highly recommend Pettit Hydrocoat...it is considered a good paint for trailer boats and is nice to apply and clean up b/c it is water based! I use it on my FRP cruising boat and it does the job pretty good. You can scuff it and put it in the next year w/o adding new paint.

Cheers,
Clint

cmorse
06-25-2006, 11:55 PM
I used Micron CSC Extra on my Surf Scoter. It held up very well and some years I kept her on the trailer all the time and other years, she stayed in the water for the season. It would go a couple of seasons before needing another coat. The only reason I repainted the year I sold her, was for looks. It is a paint that is recommended for trailerable boats.