PDA

View Full Version : keel plank / planking

chergui
06-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi. I'm about to start planking my 7' gartside pram. It has a keel plank instead of a keelson arrangement. The keel plank wraps over a profile piece that was taken from the lofting. Without the profile piece the keel would go flat and wouldn't hold the right shape. The keel is attached and I'm bevelling it now. After fastening the keel and taking off the clamps, one side of the keel has sprung up and lifted, it sits about 1/4" higher than the other side. It's also off centre a bit. I'm not sure if I should clamp it down and force the planking onto the proper shape or should I just leave it and let it lie in its natural position. I could also move the bow or transom a smidgen forward and it would probably lie flat again, which is what might happen when I'm done and take the boat off the jig. Not quite sure what the best way to deal with this is.

I had a difficult time getting the keel piece in place so I'm not too surprised this happened. I need to decide what to do because it affects the bevel on the keel for the garboards. I have some pictures but they aren't developed quite yet, should have them soon.

Jon

ken.bryant
06-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Jon,

Can't quite picture this -- is the keel supposed to stay fastened to the profile thingy while you plank? I realize it couldn't be with clamps, they'd get in the way -- but could it be held by screws from the inside? Or would that make any difference?

ken.bryant
06-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Reading and rereading I think I'm getting the picture. While a quarter-inch of wonkiness might not have a great impact on performance, it sounds to me like it would be worth forcing it into a symmetrical shape for the planking. The planks, once fastened, ought to hold it then, no?

chergui
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi Ken. I was thinking about it more and I think you're right.. I'm going to force it into place and when the other planks are fastened to the transoms it should hold the shape fine. It's probably not a big deal. It's a lot of clamping pressure to get it into place so I was a bit concerned about that at first. But leaving it out of place would be difficult to work with when I line off the other side and bevel it. I'll try to send you some pics soon of my progress. I'm quite excited it looks like a boat now!

The keel according to Paul should lie flat on this profile piece without clamps or screws. He fastened his to the transoms and it held its shape, but he wasn't using mahagony.. and he's a tad more experienced :)

islandteak
06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=chergui]Hi. I'm about to start planking my 7' gartside pram. It has a keel plank instead of a keelson arrangement. The keel plank wraps over a profile piece that was taken from the lofting. Without the profile piece the keel would go flat and wouldn't hold the right shape. The keel is attached and I'm bevelling it now. After fastening the keel and taking off the clamps, one side of the keel has sprung up and lifted, it sits about 1/4" higher than the other side. It's also off centre a bit. I'm not sure if I should clamp it down and force the planking onto the proper shape or should I just leave it and let it lie in its natural position. I could also move the bow or transom a smidgen forward and it would probably lie flat again, which is what might happen when I'm done and take the boat off the jig. Not quite sure what the best way to deal with this is.

I have built 10 of those 7ft prams now and I'd suggest that you take the little time required and throw it into a steamer and lay it true to begin with. They are such small boats and it takes little to throw them off true. If you haven't built an 8' long steam box yet you may as well start now as you will need it later on. Forget that tea kettle,towel & bag business. With a proper and simple steam box you can make those planks fit exactly how you want them to. Besides, that keel plank is the easiest of all the planks to lay....but difficult when dry.

regards....Ken