PDA

View Full Version : Joe what about your Dad?

cs
06-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Did you ever work anything out with him?

These latest post about having to put fathers in more advanced care homes has me thinking about my parents. As you may know my Mom died before I hit 40 and I lost my Dad when I was 21. My uncle who was like a second father to me died back in 1999. Of my Grandparents only two survived past my teens and one of those died before I reached 22.

So I feel the loss of these people quite a bit. I urge you and your dad to make amends.

Chad

Wild Dingo
06-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Hear hear!!

If its possible that is... I will never see my old man again and if I do I dont think it will be very enjoyable in fact I know it wont be simply because hes one of the few people in this world that I hate with an intensity I dont usually have for anyone or anything... purely speaking hes nothing but a mongrel

But I was glad to have mended the bridges with mum before she went 3 years ago...

If possible Joeboy go see him try to sort whatever it is but if you cant at least you will be easy that you at least tried... a good thing?

Joe (SoCal)
06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Yea yea yea whatever :rolleyes: . I made the effort I ALWAYS make the effort. I called him on father's day. Took 4 tries to find him. First called him in Fla, then left a message on his cell phone called one stepsister out on Long Island, who told me he was at my other stepsisters and has been there for a MONTH :mad: . He's about 2 hrs away from me and never even called. So I called he was at ......... CHURCH ( 7 day a week church going Catholic ). So he called back just as I was running out the door to meet up with Phil and go to the Garrison Yacht Club Commissioning Day. Told him I would call him when I had the chance, haven't had the chance. The song Cats in the cradle keeps playing in my head.

My sister has a sick child and is seeking treatment up near me so I have offered my spare apartment for her to use anytime. She will be using it next month and I'm sure I will get a chance to see my dad then, maybe we will talk then.

cs
06-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Joe I'm glad you are making the effort. Don't mean to be sticking my nose in where it don't belong. I read Tom's post about his dad and it made me start missing mine. It has been over 21 years since he died and it bothers me still to this day.

Chad

Tom Montgomery
06-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Joe, I am sorry to hear that -- so far -- your efforts to reconnect have gone for naught. That is your fathers loss.

We have our "family of origin"... but then as adults we can create our "family of choice." From the sounds of it you have a wonderful "family of choice" comprising your wife and daughter and a wealth of friends.

Cats in the Cradle punchline is: "My boy was just like me/He'd grown up just like me." Doesn't sound like you at all. ;)

LeeG
06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Chad, your dad and Joes dad aren't the same dad. Some amends can be simply be an end to non-productive communications.