PDA

View Full Version : Boat building books

mussels
12-09-2005, 09:31 PM
G'Day fellow gluers & clampers...
Been following the forum for a coupla years and this is the first post.....gottta start sometime'so this should draw some attention
Im after any boat building books that show deck construction and suitable timbers.
I have a Wee Seal minus the cabin and will complete it as a daysailer...side decks and a combing.That's why the boat book recommendation.
The weather down under is Temperate to Subtropical so I've decided not to build a cabin as per plan' also will give me an enormous amount of room in the boat. We have just moved house to be 5 min from the sea'so I will post some pics when things settle a bit
Cheer's for now
Mussels in Melbourne OZ :D

crawdaddyjim50
12-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Hello! Welcome. Sounds like a nice boat. Waiting for the pics.

StevenBauer
12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow. Cool. I can't wait to see those pics. smile.gif Have you asked Iain for any help with this? You'd have to use snail mail but he seems pretty helpful.

Steven

Wild Dingo
12-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Mussels... temperate to subtropical... IN MELBORNE???!!! hahahahahahhahaa :D :D :D :D

oooooohh gawd that was bloody brilliant!! :cool: temperate to subtropical in Melborne must remember that one :D

I will try to respond a bit more seriouser when I stop laughin!! ;)

mussels
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
As we all know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'So it's back on the chain and NO chunky CHUM for tea,old son. Seriously....... :rolleyes:
I'll calate the Pic.s... and post when I can,[Having problems downloading from imagestation]
Wo't about the books! I need one which contains info on deck construction and principles as I'm building away from the plan now redface.gif redface.gif ...
Any suggestions.....
Cheers
Disco in sunny Melbourne OZ :D

Voted one of Worlds most livable cities tongue.gif

Wild Dingo
12-12-2005, 06:46 AM
:D No worries mussels ol son just couldnt resist as well Melborne really isnt known as sub tropical by any method to my knowledge... although its presently been hotter than here in the west! :rolleyes:

For anything woodenboat boatbuilding related I would recommend (VERY strongly) "How to build a woodenboat" by Bud McIntosh... absolutely brilliant book

Iain Ougthreds book is also a good one and as the designer Id say probably ideal... not sure if it goes into side decks as such but definantly ideal for his designs

Something like "Building Heidi" by Richard Kolin would be good as well I should think

All available from our hosts... sure American dollar exchange makes them a tad dear for us downunderites but its not as bad now as it was when I bought Buds book

All the best from Once was hot and beautiful weather but now is crappy wet and cold West Aussie... summer? When??? :(

mmmm mind you is gonna make it easier on us if we ever decide to move to the frozen wastes to become neighbors to old Michael Earl and Steve... dont worry Im still workin on her highness I SHALL NEVER GIVE UP!! ;)

Patrick Miller
12-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Melbourne weather today was pretty typical - 35 degrees with a northerly wind that felt like it was blowing from a brick kiln. Then, POW! Southwesterly change that dropped the temperature to 18 degrees in a matter of minutes. I feel qualified to criticise - I live on a farm outside Geelong, but I work in Melbourne.

On the subject of books, I've got to say Bud McIntosh's is the best investment you'll make in print. Sure, your book shelf will look very well informed if you have Chapelle and Herreshoff and Skene and the rest, but for a hands on book full of good illustrations and well written to boot, you can't beat McIntosh.

mussels
12-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Thank you W D... ALL is forgiven...and to Patrick I'm at Portarlington in site of the Jetty So you will know where I am..."Sailing Bliss"
Anyway I will check out Boat books Aust to see if they have it in stock...
Thanks chaps
Cheers
Disco in Melbourne OZ :D :
One of the worlds most livable cities :cool:

wyndham
12-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Buy Bud's book. It is the closest thing to a bible next to Gardiners Building Small Craft.

Rod Tait
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Having trouble with Imagestation? Try our wooden boat photo gallery at Share Your Photos (http://www.orcaboats.ca)
Register as new user, log in, click on my albums and set up your own album. You can link photos to this forum.

Keith Wilson
12-12-2005, 11:46 AM
So it's back on the chain and NO chunky CHUM for tea, old son.Oy! I just got to the the point I can understand most of Dingo's posts - "hoons" and "flamin' galahs" don't even slow me down anymore - and here are TWO 'em goin' at it. "Chunky chum for tea?" Oh, never mind, go to it, I'm just an ignorant Yank. :D :D

Patrick Miller
12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
There's a canned dog food on the market here called Chum. A favourite TV ad (long since gone) had a wee scottie terrier saying "Aye, it's so chunky ye could carrrve it". This has been the brand's long standing battle cry and it has entered Oz folklore.

Sophisticated, Chardonnay drinking ozzies call the evening meal "Dinner". Simpler folk (or those trying to sound rustic) still like to call it "Tea".

So, for "Chunky chum for tea" read "canned dog food for dinner" and you'll be on the right track.

Hooroo cobbers (my father might have said that)

Jon Zerndt
12-12-2005, 05:27 PM
mussels,

I would love to see some pics of your Wee Seal also. I absolutely love the design, love at first sight I guess you could say. Please do post some pics when you are able.

cheers! :D

mussels
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Soooo...for all you world travellers of this thread,I'll invite you all down to OZ....
Arc up Yahoo..Type in australian woodwork forums
Arc up first web page,scroll to Boat building and repairs,Click Moving pictures..And Pic's are there. Jeeeezzz I've let the cat out of the bag now' it's the Wild One's secret site. tongue.gif tongue.gif
Cheers
Mussels In Melbourne smile.gif
One of the worlds most livable cities :D

Wild Dingo
12-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Nope as far as I recall I aint been there... else its been a bloody long time since... so long Ive flamin well forgotten it!! :rolleyes:

But thanks for the heads up I'll wander over and have a gander at your wee boat mate

Cheers!

Patrick Miller
12-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Caitlyn's a nice looking boat Mussels, I'll look out for her around the Bellarine Peninsula this summer.

My project is still in the shed with half her Dynel sheathing stripped off. I'm far too ashamed to post photos.