PDA

View Full Version : no outer stem -- what to do with rubrails at bow?

Charles Neuman
06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
When you have an outer stem, the rubrails fit nicely into the stem. But when you have a boat that doesn't have an outer stem, such as on some stitch-and-glue boats, what are you supposed to do?

I have seen a few pictures of solutions, such as this one (which I saw on a recent thread on oar leathers):

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/dominicdjm/Mablehead%20Dory%20Skiff/TopView.jpg

I am guessing the small gap between the rubrails is filled with an epoxy fillet mixture. I suppose that would be left wood color if the rubrails are finished bright and the topsides are painted.

I have also seen boats where the rubrails end a little further back from the bow. In that case, if you paint the topsides white, then you will see some white between the two rubrails when you look toward the bow of the boat.

Does anyone have pictures of their solutions? Or can you describe what you think is the most tasteful way to handle rubrails at the bow of a boat with no outer stem?

Thanks,

Charles Neuman

JimConlin
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
You might also consider stopping 'em where the planking ends. This'll look better if the rails taper toward their ends.

pipefitter
06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Nice looking boat. I think they would look good in any of the ways mentioned.

ion barnes
06-14-2006, 01:24 AM
I have never liked the solution as pictured. It looks too clunky on a lightly built boat. I prefer the rails tapered in profile and overhead. The rule of thumb as I remember was tapering for about 2 - 21/2 feet and reducing the height and width by about half of the full dimension. the ends terminated about 3/4" aft of the stem.