PDA

View Full Version : Return To Small Town Living

Memphis Mike
06-11-2006, 05:00 PM
With the recent loss of my job, what was once a long term goal may be a shorter term goal for Sue and I. We'll see. Both of us are sick of the traffic, high crime and political corruption associated with life in a large city and are ready to get out.

We're not getting any younger and I don't want to be one of those that wakes up to be sixty five suddenly realizing that life has passed me by. We're thinking of trying to be out of Memphis in the next year or so.

Anyhow, this place looks really attractive. I never knew there were mountains in this state.

http://www.ci.cumberland.md.us/citysummer.jpg

huisjen
06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.ci.cumberland.md.us/citysummer.jpg

Cumberland Maryland. Pennsylvania is about six miles north, and West Virginia is about two miles south. Hmm. Lots of pointy architecture.

My old (1997) road atlas says it has a population of 23,706. This is small town? I guess compared to Memphis... Anyway, it looks good.

Dan

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Do it Mike.
People weren't ment to live so close together.
Right now, I think the only thing I'd miss about where I live now is my 10 minute drive to work.

PeterSibley
06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Looks good , live up on a hill...beware thermal inversions in wood burning towns :)

rbgarr
06-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I was able to stop my car in the street and talk to a neighbor for about two or three minutes. Other folks from this small town drove around and waved rather that honking and giving the one digit salute .

Life in small towns is gud.

Memphis Mike
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Dan, there are over 1 million people in the Memphis area now. Traffic is horrible, crime continues to escalate and the corrupt politicians are only worried about one thing and that's how to fill their pockets fuller than they already are.

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Buy a motor home. then when ya need a change of scenery, ya just turn the key:D

pipefitter
06-11-2006, 05:56 PM
The only problem with small town living these days is the people from the city all live there now. To "get away" from it all. Atleast here in FL.

I really don't know where I would go anymore. Small towns have changed. They are ok as long as there isn't McD's or walmart. Seems that once those chains get established there,it isn't the same anymore.

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I remember living in 29 Palms Ca. some 25 yrs.ago. walfart wasn't even heard of then and the closest McD was 22 miles away:eek:

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 06:01 PM
if'n ya move MM, will ya become Maryland Mike

JDD
06-11-2006, 06:03 PM
High crime areas begins at home, when you are personally violated.

Memphis Mike
06-11-2006, 06:12 PM
if'n ya move MM, will ya become Maryland Mike

I'm not saying that it will be Cumberland. I'm just saying it looks attractive.

Actually, we're thinking more about Boone, NC.

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Go for it.....the worlds a big place, don't get stuck in a corner of it

Claudia
06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Mike, have vacationed in Boone a number of times and love it, I say do it. If I didn't have a child to think of I would consider North Carolina or Tennessee, a small town.
Before moving here 2 years ago I lived in the same small town for 25 years but man did it ever grow in the time I was there. What once was orange groves is now shopping centers and new homes. Put me in the boonies.;)

davidagage
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Boone is all of 60 miles from me. I just love it up there, and Blowing Rock as well. Funny thing is, during the summer months, most of the cars have FL tags....:D

Memphis Mike
06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
We've been to Boone once and loved it. Sue's sister has a log home there.

Claudia
It's a pretty place as is Blowing Rock. My friend and I missed out trip this year. :(

Joe (SoCal)
The only problem with small town living these days is the people from the city all live there now. To "get away" from it all. Atleast here in FL.

I really don't know where I would go anymore. Small towns have changed. They are ok as long as there isn't McD's or walmart. Seems that once those chains get established there,it isn't the same anymore.

Thats why I love my small town. Not a chain or a fast food joint in the whole township.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/pa9911de2a74963e7f10ba2f214dc027c/ef7de3b6.jpg

Ya want a book you go to go the local book shop not B&N

http://www.merrittbooks.com/cold/DCP02712.JPG

Ya want a good cup of coffee you go to the foundry not Starbucs

http://www.hvgateway.com/PIC/P00032A.JPG

Ya want a good hamburger you go to the Cold Spring Cafe not Mc D

http://www.hvgateway.com/PIC/P00033b.JPG

http://www.hvgateway.com/CS00.HTM

Hey Mike and Sue move up here ya will like it ;)

Memphis Mike
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Could you get me a job sellin that high fluentin real estate, Joe?:D

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
and learn to like freezin your a$$ off in winter

geeman
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
The arctic like conditions up there would kill me LOL,too COLDDDDDD

Phil Heffernan
06-11-2006, 07:14 PM

Global warming has been berry berry good to meee:D

We haven't had a cold winter in ten years...:o

PH

Joe (SoCal)
06-11-2006, 07:14 PM

Aww come on it's not that bad ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid50/pc87dbba62c007a321fb166d0df1dce7d/fcabffd1.jpg

Sailing is umm a lil difficult in hard water

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p685c99c9fd31bc57f0f41fd146b60700/fcbe63f4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p5ad4c676fd70af7d5a970d6a4b74986e/fc975a8d.jpg

But you can always go kayaking

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p202ec9bf31b5caacffc190375f2c0bf6/fc975a95.jpg

Just like Greenland ;)

jack grebe
06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Joe, think hard......is there anything you don't have a quick pic for?

Phil Heffernan
06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Alright, there was ONE cold winter ;)

MMike, get yer a** out of the big cities, real life happens best at the 'micro' level...Find one where you don't need to drive everywhere, and you've hit the trifecta ;)

PH

Meerkat
06-11-2006, 07:22 PM
The potential nastiness of small-town politics is nothing to overlook. Often, they're "locked down" by the "rich" folk at the top of the food chain in the little pond.

Also, having lived for a time in a tiny town (< 600 in winter), I can tell you that everyone knows your business - sometimes before you do! You're also an "outlander" for some period of up to as much as your natural lifetime. ;)

Things you take for granted in a larger town/city may require going to a bigger town/city to get and/or ordering it delivered.

Libraries more closely mirror the local prejudices... ;)

Nanoose
06-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Memphis Mike...if you're thinking about a change, may I submit a plug for moving onto a boat - pick where you want to be/can work - simplify your life and lower your cost of living in a major way - head out on the boat on the weekends, and (depending on your 'I don't want to turn 65 and wish I would of...") work on the 'sailing away' plan. It was one of the best things we ever did.

geeman
06-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Small towns have their own way of handling politics right Meer.And it frequently involves local power/money.The fat cats run the town and everyone in it.I work in a small town,3000 full time residents,the majority are well to do families that settled here well over a 100 years ago,and they dont let you forget it.They refuse to build affordable housing for employees due to it causing "traffic problems" translation,we can work for them but dont even think of living with them.A lot of the local employers dont even go by even Tenn standards of labor laws,they feel its none of the govts business how much they pay,or how many hours they work employees,even the basic labor laws here they laugh at.

RichKrough
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I have been through Cumberland MD several times by bike since it is the western terminus of the C&O Canal trail. Pretty town, once was supported by the canal and later by the railroads. Becoming more of a weekend/tourist town for folks in DC.

From what I hear Boone NC has become a great artist town. A local painter we know moved there 2 years ago and from what she tells us it is a great area for artists.

When EJ and I went looking for places to retire, we looked at several lists that ranked towns and cities favorable to liberal leaning folk. here is a couple:

http://cafeutne.org/towns/states.html

http://www.turnleft.com/geo.html

Depending on which way you swing you can probaly find a list for every political persuasion

ishmael
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I walked to school and never worried about predators. I lived in a post WWII paradise, a pax Americana.

Watching NBCs explication of sexual predators on line I've been amazed. There are a bunch of sick fucks working their world.

I think this is new. I didn't eperience this. Mom warned against pedophiles, but we, as we wandered the parks, never worried it much.

Golly, what has become of us?

Your desire to find a different America is understandable, Mike. I looked up and down, all around, and settled on mid-Maine. It's not perfect, but people are still genuine here. You and Sue have a bunk if you want to visit.

geeman
06-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Your right about the Boone Nc area Rick,Ashville NC too is booming as far as a nice place for artists, and lets say Nonconventional thinkers.Its tourist areas but get a higher quality of tourist then we get here in the Smokys now days.When this area started catering to the family unit ,,it ran off a lot of the retired folks that actually have money to spend,now those folks go to Western NC for vacations that closer suit their idea of what a vacation should be.What we get now is families that dont have any money left over after they get their room,feed the kids,pay for the gas etc. theres no money left over for spending on "art" type things.

pipefitter
06-12-2006, 02:18 AM
My mom lived in Blowing Rock and lives up by there now. She loves it up there. I like small towns too but I still would have had to travel to the bigger cities to work because good small town jobs were often hard to find for full season work. The idea was to work and save all year for the slow work winter seasons.
I went to Young Harris,Ga. a few yrs back and Hellen,Blairsville area where one of my extended families live.I was begged to bring my welding certificate to the Kubota tractor plant in Gainesville when I was to graduate for any of the 3 shifts I wanted for something like 18.00/hr to start back in like 91. Real estate people wanted my trades skills and I doubt I would have been hurting for work. Thought about opening up a welding operation up there. The people were so damned hospitable. Walking into the little store,complete strangers saying "hello,how are you?" and me thinking ,"do I know this person?". After being out of the small town life for so long,I had forgotten what it was like. I never would have imagined I would end up in Tampa town. Go for it MM. If you got skills,you will do well. This town I am in still has a bit to offer and I am thinking that once it becomes impossible to get homeowners insurance here for reason of the hurricanes,maybe it will thin out a little. People are moving up to the Carolinas from here in droves.

I have a gfriend in Cherry Hill area of NJ and we were at a job interview for me and it placed us in traffic at around 5pm and she was saying..."oh hell,we are gonna get stuck in rush hr". I kept saying,"where is this rush hour?" and she said,"you dont think this is bad?" I had to laugh. I-4 and I-275 would blow her mind here anytime from 8 am to 10-11 at night. I guess it could be said that we have "rush days".

The thing that keeps me here is this damned Gulf of Mexico and my addiction to saltwater fishing which I have yet to be able to compare to anywhere else in the country. I plan to move north and keep my home here with my boat for excursions when the cold north gets next to me. Thats one of the job stipulations I need to make clear with any future employers. 3 day weekends are doable with only a 2 hr flight.

Stiletto
06-12-2006, 02:45 AM
I lived in a town of only about 150 people for ten years. I realised that you have some sort of relationship with EVERYBODY whether it was the ladies in the shop where you bought your bread or the guy three doors down who worked the gas pump, or the guy you bought the bootleg honeymead from when there was a summer party happening.

A small town within reasonable motoring distance to a big city and friends to stay with, can be a great way to live but can be oppressive if things arent going well for you or your relationship.
Work is usually the big thing to sort out, for two reasons, obviously the money, but also the focus and rythm it provides to one's daily life.

I've since moved to a town of around 5000 people and enjoy the relative anonimity.:cool:

I dunno what's next.

Ron Carter
06-12-2006, 08:37 AM
The baby boomers are approaching retirement age. There is a flood of people with disposable income looking for the same thing you are. I beat you by 10 years to my "little piece of heaven". 60 acres on a dirt road with a 45 mile round trip to a decent grocery store or hardware store. Land prices have gone up 10x since we bought. The collapse of the US auto economy has had a chilling effect locally with sales of recreational land at a standstill. That won't last forever and in spite of the slowdown most landowners are holding the price rather than cutting it to unload. Good luck with your search. I surely recommend getting out of the "big city" and the one we left was only 150,000. The village store about 8 miles from here advertises being "conveniently located in the middle of nowhere". Totally true.

Lew Barrett
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Time to consider a live-aboard lifestyle? Not without its own challenges, but hey......you get community and start to live the dream...one day at a time.
Lew

Tom Montgomery
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I lived in a small town for 41 years. I have the same name as my father and it seemed everyone knew either him or me. That can be a mixed blessing.

Since 1998 I have lived in Louisville and have never been happier. I never expected to be 50 years old and and single again.... I'm glad I am single in this community rather than in my hometown.

Having said that.... "to thine own self be true." It is SO important to be happy in your environment.... and in your own skin. Good luck to you, Mike.

Peter Kalshoven
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Here you go, Brother Mike. 22K, some elbow grease, and YOU ARE OUT'A HERE! :-)
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1510047&slim=quick&

Meerkat
06-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Watching NBCs explication of sexual predators on line I've been amazed. There are a bunch of sick fucks working their world.

I think this is new. I didn't eperience this. Mom warned against pedophiles, but we, as we wandered the parks, never worried it much.

Golly, what has become of us?

It's called media hype. NBC's predator series is more a case of exploitation, not explication. Preying on the fears of Americans, justified or not, for profit.

Soulless corporate America is what has become of us.

bamamick
06-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Not one bit. When I moved to the town that I live in now it was a place with a post office and that was about it. Now there are a couple of uber-malls, literally dozens of fast food places, and enough traffic lights that you can just feel your time on earth slipping away while you sit and wait.

My wife and I visited Hot Springs, NC and Blue Ridge, Ga. in the last couple of years with the same thing in mind: find a place to get the heck outta this trap. We had always hoped to buy a place on the west side of MDI but it's so far from the family, plus it would make it hard for me to continue my racing and that's a big part of my life.

What we did was build an 800 square foot cabin on Fish River near the Marlow community here in Baldwin County. I've got three acres. My in-laws have the 15 across the creek and bordering the river, and there is a small dirt road with four or five houses full of Mexican immigrants back behind us. On Sunday afternoons the Mexicans have a party with music and barbeque and they always invite us to come over. There's no store. No gas station. Across the road on one side there is a goat farm and dairy. Just down the road Sam Sheppard raises his world-famous cutting horses. It's about an hour from Mobile and an hour from Pensacola, and about 20 minutes from the Gulf. If it wasn't so darn hot for several months of the year it would be close to paradise.

Once my kids have all graduated from college we will be on our way. Just four more years or so. I hope that you find your paradise, Mike. Those mountains are so neat. I love breathing the air up there.

Mickey Lake

Chris Coose
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Don't come to Maine to visit. Especially in summertime.
I can guarantee you would'nt be thinking about it anymore.

I was talking to a Miss. transplant last week. We have very few of them from the deep South. It seems Maine is considered more of a Canadian Maritime province and is rarely considered even as a vacation destination.
After traveling around some recently and seeing changes that cause great cultural distress, I return absolutely certain that Maine is isolated and very grateful.

(I've got a nice little organic farm to rent in Bar Harbor with a greenhouse business. It's got a wood kitchen range and a large shop in the barn.)

Nicholas Carey
06-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Actually, we're thinking more about Boone, NC.I've always liked Blowing Rock, Valle Crucis and Banner Elk myself. Nice country there.

Tar Devil
06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Actually, we're thinking more about Boone, NC.

I hope ya do!!

Later,

Phil

John Bell
06-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I have been through Cumberland MD several times by bike since it is the western terminus of the C&O Canal trail. Pretty town, once was supported by the canal and later by the railroads. Becoming more of a weekend/tourist town for folks in DC.

From what I hear Boone NC has become a great artist town. A local painter we know moved there 2 years ago and from what she tells us it is a great area for artists.

When EJ and I went looking for places to retire, we looked at several lists that ranked towns and cities favorable to liberal leaning folk. here is a couple:

http://cafeutne.org/towns/states.html

http://www.turnleft.com/geo.html

Depending on which way you swing you can probaly find a list for every political persuasion

Thanks for the links. Glad to see that my home made the "unfriendly" list! Gave me a hearty chuckle for the most part. The last comment that pretty much hit it on the head regarding what is really a pretty competent government, compared to most.

http://www.turnleft.com/places/cobb_county.html

ishmael
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
David,

While I agree a part of that NBC sting operation was hype, a part of it wasn't. Hundreds of men got arrested for being very untoward, not to mention illegal.

We can argue about how NBC's sting unfolded. I don't think a twenty year old wanting to meet a fifteen year old belongs in the category, but they uncovered hundreds of whackos who were in a different category.

I'm amazed by it, and I don't think it was happening thirty five years ago.

As with the gratuitous violence, I ask what the hell has happened?

Meerkat
06-12-2006, 04:14 PM
With better communications and such, it's hard to know if the offense rate is any different than it was 35 years ago.

However, there is no doubt that the networks pander to prurient interests and people's fears. Whatever sells.

Memphis Mike
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
"(I've got a nice little organic farm to rent in Bar Harbor with a greenhouse business. It's got a wood kitchen range and a large shop in the barn.)"

And what might this lil farm in the land that no one wants rent for, Chris?;)

ishmael
06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Thirty five years ago, growing up in a small town outside of Cleveland, I was never, NEVER, afraid. I rode my bike, and walked all over that town. Were there untoward people, sure, but they were the rare exception, and somehow under control. Not always, but as a rule.

It was a bedroom community for Cleveland's industry, and a college town, yet also had a strong industrial past. The sandstone that built the Empire State Building came out of flooded quarries I swam and fished as a kid. It had its quirks, but as a child fear wasn't a part of the picture, except very rarely when a bully needed facing down.

What the hell has changed?

james burt
06-13-2006, 07:13 AM
memphis mike,

i also left memphis 3 years ago, moved to high point, nc.
never looked back. weather here is just about perfect, unless a hurricane is lurking around.
boone gets alot more snow than memphis, 40 inches or so a year.
lots of ski lodges near that area.
farther east, in the piedmont, weather calms down.
there are 3 huge lakes within an hour of where i live, one just down
the street. they have just built a 4th one, hopefully the next few hurricanes will fill it up.
and the trip to Oriental and Beaufort are worth it. only 3 hours from
here.
one thing that took some getting use to is, in memphis, the next biggest town was, little rock, nashville, st. louis or jackson, ms.
out here, every town is self sufficent and they are close together.

and none of the ford's or herenton's to deal with.

Tar Devil
06-13-2006, 07:32 AM
You live in High Point, James? I grew up in Thomasville, where my Dad and stepmother still live. I was there Sunday night.

I'm anticipating an August or September launch of my boat, which will take place at Camp Caraway just outside Asheboro, not far from you.

Speaking of which... Mike, Asheboro is a great place to live in central NC, in my opinion. The Uwharrie river is a splendid fishery, it's the only area in central NC that has some nice mountian-like hills, it's only about 3 or 4 hours to the coast and maybe a little less to the Blue Ridge Mountains... just about smack in the middle.

Later,

Phil

Leon m
06-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Then theres Wisconsin,home of the last true small towns and green countryside, and OH MAN do we have lakes.And its just cold enough to keep the riff raff away.:)

james burt
06-13-2006, 07:48 AM
tar devil,

yep, i work in thomasville, @ the old Bassett warehouse.
Old Dominion HQ's.
give me a call, 1.800.432.6335 x 5333
free for you and cheap for them.

mike

ps. would like to try and get a group of us together, seems to be
quite a few of around this area.

Popeye
06-13-2006, 07:49 AM
After traveling around some recently and seeing changes that cause great cultural distress, I return absolutely certain that Maine is isolated and very grateful.

yes

ishmael
06-13-2006, 08:03 AM
If we could just build a fence at the MA border so all the unreformed ex-hippies would stay away. LOL. I guess I might have been turned away, though I've reformed, honest.

Maine is a fine place to live. It has its share of difficulties, but I've found the people here very much to my liking. Always willing to help, but not too nosy.

The Bangor area is as close to the America I grew up in as any place I found in years of travel, East West North South. It is, however, changing. They just allowed a slot machine parlor in the downtown. I was against it, but hadn't a voice because I don't live in town. Those 1500 slot machines are liable to have unexpected consequences. A real revenue generator, but I've never seen anything good, socially, come from such an establishment. One wonders about kickbacks to the town fathers and mothers. Not making any accusations, but I thought it a stupid move. The area was growing nicely, because of the ethos, and didn't need gaming added into the mix.

Memphis Mike
06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Nice to chat with you James. Yep, Herenten is ruining this city for the middle class. The cost of living keeps going up just so he can sit in a skybox with Danny Divito.

We had a gathering in Georgia a couple of years ago that was a lot of fun. We'll probably do it again sometime soon. You'd be more than welcome to come.:)

Thanks for the information, guys.

Salty Sea Dog
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
There's a debate here in the UK at the moment about opening Vegas style "Super" casinos. Very, very few people have spoken in favour of them but the government is riding rough-shod over us yet again. They say that they will police them properly to ensure that organised crime isn't involved etc but no one is entirely convinced. The social effects of gambling have just been ignored too. Its right that people will lose their last pound/dollar trying to win the "big one" as they see this as the only way to get out of their, to them, boring, dull and pointless lives.

Yet again our politicians let us down. Even when we get a change of government (soon please!) these laws allowing these casinos will not be repealed despite the misery they will inevitably bring. Unfortunately people like the Chancellor of the Exchequer only see another way of raking money in to waste on hiring more civil servants to do pointless tasks.

Life in virtually any city now is not to be recommended. Drugs and their associated criminal activities, mugging, burglary etc, are now endemic and no one cares about their immediate environment. Litter, graffiti and just bad manners are a way of life and for those of us "baby boomers" brought up in a different way its not a good way to have to live.

Thanks goodness there are still places to live away from all this although here in the UK it comes at a very high financial price and eats up a very large slice of salary. Quality of life is not a cheap commodity.

ishmael
06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Well, Norm, people decry the decline of the middleclass a bunch. I don't see it around here. People, most of them, live in decent houses, drive almost new vehicles, have good stuff to eat.

Much of it has a foundation of debt that is a bit worrisome, and there is poverty and hunger, but the loss of the middleclass? That has always seemed extreme to me. I'd rather be a poor person here than in most parts of the world.

Casinos are a whole other issue. I'm not morally against gambling, just pragmatically against the businesses. Crime, prostitution, drugs, always seem to follow in their wake. Housewives who've lost their pin money, in the parking lot giving blow jobs so they can go back to the table, like that.

We shall see. This is what is called a racino, and is hooked up with one of the oldest trotter courses in the country. Just slots and off track betting, no tables.

huisjen
06-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Housewives who've lost their pin money, in the parking lot giving blow jobs so they can go back to the table...

So you have been getting some after all. What have they been charging you?

ishmael
06-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Ad hominem attacks never reflect very well on the attacker.

huisjen
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
And being fixated on sexual predation doesn't reflect well on you, Jack.

Dan

ishmael
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah, keep after it! More slander by innuendo. Who's fixated, thee or me?

You think whatever you want. People who know me know I'm kind and gentle to all creatures, great and small, and never in a perverse way some are fixated on.

A good question to ask yourself, I'd tell you if I were shrinking you, is why is your ire fixated on me?

Joe (SoCal)
06-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Ad hominem attacks never reflect very well on the attacker.

Yea they do :D

Well executed Dan ;)

huisjen
06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Who's fixated, thee or me?

Should we start a poll thread on that one?

A good question to ask yourself, I'd tell you if I were shrinking you, is why is your ire fixated on me?

A better question is why you sit in your trailer and harp on about how awful the world is. What happened to you, Jack? Or what have you done to someone else?

Dan

ishmael
06-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah, listen to Joe, the man who thinks global warming is an issue of running out of oxygen. He's da man!

I get to worrying when even our best and brightest are utter ignoramuses.

Norm,

We are in almost total agreement. I'm not sure about the middle-class issue, but I am wary of statistics, when all around me are driving new cars.

Joe (SoCal)
06-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, listen to Joe, the man who thinks global warming is an issue of running out of oxygen. He's da man!

I get to worrying when even our best and brightest are utter ignoramuses.

Norm,

We are in almost total agreement. I'm not sure about the middle-class issue, but I am wary of statistics, when all around me are driving new cars.

The running out of oxygen was a joke on you wanting to talk too much about it. Thats all. Sheeeesh ya humorless cat wanker. You cant even spell your BA degree correctly. :rolleyes:

geeman
06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
My comments here are PURELY based on my experiences here in my area ,so dont take it as comment on the USA as a whole.Here I see what one might call the "middle class" working every day,more and more hours per day,taking less time off ( me included the last few years),working to maintain a standard of living that they dont even realize they cant afford anymore.Their income power is less then it used to be but they continue to maintain the same buying patterns to try and keep up with what they perceive is the middle class way of life.Its been a slow process that snuck up on us,(middle class),and I can see it taking its toll on local people as they realize what their "role" in this " modern"society" is.Like I said this is what I see in my area,dont take it as a comment on the country as a whole.

ishmael
06-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Go look in your own mirrors. I'm done with the attacks.

Why do I come here? Because it's fun, and informative, and interesting to match wits with some very bright people. I don't come here to be gratuitously slandered just because my nemesis dejour can't come up with a good argument.

huisjen
06-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Oh, this isn't gratuitous. You've got serious issues, Jack. You express them through fear and revulsion, yet you make no effort to cope. Instead, you choose to dwell on them, feed them. My guess is that either you're a victim or a victimizer, maybe both. Perhaps you can offer some other explaination for your knowledge of parking lot blow jobs. Sure, we all know that addiction leads to things, including prostitution, but you add a level of detail beyond common discussion.

Dan

geeman
06-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Uhhhhhhh ,are these big fat hog type housewives? or lil sharp looking housewives? and what is their location? ISH do you know what their charging this week? LOL

ishmael
06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I worked with sexual predators, Dan. I've spoken of it at length. I was never abused, and I resent you saying I might be twisted that way.

Because it was my profession for a number of years, the issue interests me. I don't think we have a good handle on it in this culture, and I think the license of the last forty years has made matters worse. Not talking about it openly and honestly isn't helping.

Why do you need to make me the issue? It gets rather ugly when you accuse me of things without justification. Take them back, and I'll forgive you. And don't presume to shrink me. You don't know me well enough. I'll pay you the same courtesy, unless you ask me to do otherwise.

Memphis Mike
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Why don't both of you shut the hell up. This thread was meant to provide me with some insight into what life is like in our smaller communities and towns today and not to provide a medium of exchange for a couple of forumites to air their resentments toward one another.

Popeye
06-13-2006, 11:16 AM
some say the eyesight is the first thing to go

geeman
06-13-2006, 11:17 AM
No its not Popeye LOl take my word for it LOL

huisjen
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Sorry Mike.

geeman
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Isnt it amazing how threads can degenerate into shouting matches ,when 1 or the other takes the tack of making it a personal thing.I've been guilty of the same thing so I'm not pointing fingers here.

Popeye
06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
uh oh , there's a lump in my rug , gotta go put a big psychology book on it

Garrison
06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
garret county, maryland. just west of cumberland and lavale. they even have a large deep water lake very cllose by to float your boat, something you will never find in the boone neighborhood

Garrison
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.garrettchamber.com/index.php

Tar Devil
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
i work in thomasville, @ the old Bassett warehouse.
Old Dominion HQ's.

I can see the Bassett water tower from my Dad's front yard. I terrorized those woods behind Bassett as a kid, some on motorcycles, mostly on horses and several times on a mule we used pulling tobacco. Rode go-karts in the Bassett parking lot.

That facility was a major landmark for me when I'd fly home to see my folks.

Later,

Phil