PDA

View Full Version : The Dobro

Paul Pless
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Like two minutes ago someone just gave me two tickets to go see this guy, he takes the stage in 90 minutes. Never heard him before, sounds kinda cool though.:)

http://www.randykohrs.net/

Meerkat
06-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I've always enjoyed a good dubie... oh, wait, a Dobro? :D

botebum
06-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Adventure! The Unknown! What the hell Paul, take a chance! Who knows, you might have fun and it beats hell out of doin' the dishes.

Doug

davidagage
06-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I like Kohrs. Seen him at the downhome before. Tell us how it was.

Vince Brennan
06-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Dude is amazin on the Dobro! I find it a difficult instrument to be smooth on and he is certainly that... and more.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Jerry Douglas is the guy I always knew about... He's recorded with hundreds of people, and is an awesome dobro player. It's not easy to play well.

Noah
06-09-2006, 10:02 PM
My Dad got an old National Dobro while on tour with Johnny Cash back in the 60's. Boy that thing sounds nice...

Vince Brennan
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
If that's an old Dopyra (National Dobro Corp) guitar, hang onto it! It's worth money now and will only appreciate in value.

Paul Pless
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
that was very cool.:) :)

If you guys make it to Savannah you gotta check out this place called Randy's Guitars. This dude has a place in the shade on the side of the road where he builds and sell mandolins and guitars, sells barbecue, and has a little concert hall venue that seats about a hundred and fifty people. All three in separate buildings. At intermission they give out huge bowls of homemade icecream and everybody goes outside for twenty minutes and mingles with the band.

This little band was tight.

In addition to Mr Kohrs, their was a standup bass, two guitarists, a fiddler (she was hot by the way), mandolin, and a banjo. Everybody could sing.

Great night!

garland reese
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
that sounds like a great time! I second the notion of Jerry Douglas. He is top notch. He plays with Alison Krauss and Union Station and he is renowned for his dobro skill. Very very good indeed.
Garland

Garrison
06-10-2006, 05:12 AM
that was very cool.:) :)

If you guys make it to Savannah you gotta check out this place called Randy's Guitars. This dude has a place in the shade on the side of the road where he builds and sell mandolins and guitars, sells barbecue, and has a little concert hall venue that seats about a hundred and fifty people. All three in separate buildings. At intermission they give out huge bowls of homemade icecream and everybody goes outside for twenty minutes and mingles with the band.

you obviously didnt see the fourth building that houses the scotch tape emporium

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
The Dopyera Bros. (notice the spelling) were from a family of Slovak millers. In the non-milling season they had a sideline of fixing various sizes of fiddles (husle) that the Slovaks have in large numbers.
When the Dopyeras came to the US they saw many opportunities such as how to make an accoustical instrument that could be heard over the din of a crowd. They pushed the limit until electronics solved the problem. Their last developement was a large guitar made from steel that ,I've heard, have a very big sound and are are worth a lot of bucks.
Dobry, dobra, dobro is the Slovak word for good.
Slovaks, by the way, are the most thoroughly peasant nation in Europe.
They are very big on folks music and have jumped into American hillbilly music because they are, mostly, hillbillies themselves.
The big country music festival in that country occurs about this time of year in the medieval town of Trnava which is not far from where the Doyera's mill was.
And for all you lovers of very old music, Slovakia has one of the premier makers of medieval bagpipes in Europe. His name is Tibor Koblic'ek and he will make a "Gajdy" for you. Visa and Mastercharge accepted. Tibor is such a complete master of gajdy making he even tans his own goatskins. Do you want a one, two or three voiced pipe?
Sorry I got off thread but we don't get much chance to wave the flag.

Charlie

pipefitter
06-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Jerry Douglas is awesome on the dobro as is Paul Franklin the pedal steel and dobro player who played with Dire straits,Barbara Mandrel and a bunch of others. My favorite instrumental in bluegrass music.

Venchka
06-10-2006, 01:42 PM
... a fiddler (she was hot by the way)

Great night!

sighhhhhhhhhhhhh...my favorite kind of musician.:)

I was listening to Alison Krause + Union Station through 4 Telefunken 12AX7s and 4 Mullard EL 34s while you were listening to real musicians. I'm jealous.:D