PDA

View Full Version : What's a TV license?

Phillip Allen
06-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Listening to BBC news this morning (noon there) I heard the term in reference to employers providing TV at work to keep World Cup absenteeism down.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Click (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=tv+licence&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB)

Phillip Allen
06-09-2006, 07:00 AM
A tax? What? In place of ads paying for broadcast costs?

Salty Sea Dog
06-09-2006, 07:01 AM
As the BBC is public service broadcasting it's paid for by a licence fee. At present its about $200 a year which also pays for BBC radio channels.

Its great to be able to watch a programme all the way through without being told about the benefits of Ghandi's Pile Cream or Ripoff Insurance!!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Feel free to buy one. - Or continue to freeload.
Your choice.

Phillip Allen
06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
I have no problem if there are no ads...if there are ads...they can pay me to listen to them via free (to me) TV

Presuming Ed
06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
The BBC is a public service broadcaster, but isn't funded directly by the government - I suppose the idea is to reduce the ability of government to influence the output of the BBC.

Instead, it's funded by a license fee to be paid by each household with at least one television - currently 131.50 for a colour TV (less for black and white). AIUI, the funding for the BBC has always been like this - originally, it was funded from licenses for radio receivers. The BBC operates under a charter which gives it the right to license money - with the charter being regularly renewed.

People over 75 get free licenses - as do the registered blind.

There is a fairly draconian system in place to minimise avoidance - suitably equipped vans -"TV detector vans" to find out if people have TVs in their houses, and large fines - 1000 for avoidance.

I realise that a lot of the Americans on this board are going to be horrified by the whole big brother aspects of this - yes, the government knows who has TVs. They also know who owns cars. Personally, it doesn't bother me hugely - there are far greater things to worry about from a personal freedom point of view (the national ID card scheme, for one), and it means that there are no ads on the Beeb's terrestrial channels (I don't have digital, so I don't know about that). I really, really, really hate ads.

Phillip Allen
06-09-2006, 07:09 AM
I'll bet the snack people really hate TV without breaks to get ya to the fridge... :)

(There's a Vegemite joke in there somewhere)

Salty Sea Dog
06-09-2006, 07:12 AM
You install the fridge next to the TV - beer on the bottom shelf, snacks on the top shelf!!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-09-2006, 07:18 AM
I got digital - no ads on the name BBC channels (3/4/CBEEBIES)

you can apply for a Blind Concessionary Licence at 50% of the full licence fee
Radio Licenses have been abolished.

The terrestrial digital transition looks like a wasted opportunity - here in sunny Wales we don't get BBC2 we get BBC2W the crippled welsh variant - and to be fair - some of it is top drawer stuff notably the Iolo wildlife stuff.

I'd like to see all the BBC's regional variations available everywhere - they're making the programs anyway so just stuff it in the multiplex.

So Wales has become the Land of Cable and Sat. as people chase the version of BBC2 which doesn't cover Neath v Bridgend in place of the Wimbledon final.....

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-09-2006, 10:19 AM
BBC World has ads, because the World Service is not funded by the licence fee - it comes out of some corner of the Foreign Office budget, and the decision was made to fund radio but not TV. The website is funded from the licence fee and as you may have noticed it is an ad-free zone.

Personally I loathe adverts and seldom watch the commercial channels, for that very reason.

geeman
06-09-2006, 10:40 AM
You mean people actually eat Vegimite On purpose? LOL

Phillip Allen
06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
It's a form of self-flagelism...a religion for the depraved who can't accept anything as good unless it hurts

geeman
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
And I thought this thread was about sex and trannies and such LOL

Meerkat
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
You install the fridge next to the TV - beer on the bottom shelf, snacks on the top shelf!!Yer actually Osgood Bucket, ain't ya mate? :D

Meerkat
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
How much of the Beeb's commercial operations in NA go to offset costs in the UK? ;)

BTW, the BBC cable channel in NA is stuffed with ads. It's also a "premium" channel so one pays $$$ extra to get it.

Presuming Ed
06-10-2006, 09:02 AM
The Beeb's 2004/2005 financial statements are here:
http://www.bbcgovernors.co.uk/annreport/report05/BBC_94-135.pdf

From a first, quick, glance; of total income of 3bn, 115.6 million came from the Americas.