PDA

View Full Version : Gut Wrenching "Without a Trace" episode on CBS now

Joe (SoCal)
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm watching this episode of "Without a Trace" on CBS now. The episode is about a 15 year old boy who takes his bike and goes to an arcade and then vanishes. The show usually is from the perspective of the FBI agents, this episode is from the father and mothers perspective. It is gut wrenching to see how the FBI doles out info and the agonizing details that reveal themselves as the parents snipe at each other and work with each other to cope with this possible total loss.

As a parent this is brutal stuff to watch. Extremely well acted.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Have you been hangin with Jack lately? :D

Joe (SoCal)
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Have you been hangin with Jack lately? :D

Na the difference with me is I have a TV & a front door,..... I use BOTH ;)

ishmael
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Say what you want, there are skilfull writers and dramatists working on network TV. I watch that series, and usually like it. I do wish there were a market for more down to earth stories. And the commercial traffic is almost enough, occasionally does, to get me to turn the damn box off.

I rather like, "The Unit," too. David Mammet, probably the best living American playwright, is one of the producers, and occasionally lends a hand to the dialogue. You can always tell when he steps in, it get's snappy.

Joe (SoCal)
06-08-2006, 10:17 PM
David Mammet, probably the best living American playwright, is one of the producers, and occasionally lends a hand to the dialogue.

Totaly agree with you Ish. Mamet dialogue, none betta ;)

Blake: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?
[Holds up prize]
Blake: Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

JimD
06-09-2006, 04:29 AM
The most poignant tv crime show on the air these days is Cold Case. The formula is that you know the victim is already dead at the beginning of the show and then you spend the next hour getting to know them and that their life was valuable by way of flashbacks through the course of the cold case investigation. It really drives home what a tragedy the taking of a life can be.

George Roberts
06-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I find almost any of the HDTV PBS shows to be much better than anything else but ...

it all depends on the comapny you are with and the mood you are in.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm with Joe on this one. I saw the "Without a Trace" eoiside and was immediately taken by how it was done.
I've watched "Cold Case" and am an admirer of the producers. They've got this strikingly good looking blond who may or may not know how to act. What they want to do is get her fvce on the screne as much as possible and fill in the blanks as cheaply as they can. The "fill" are the many flashbacks which are done out of focus with a bunch of no-names who don't cost very much. The blond, being a cop, can remain stone faced much of the time so her acting ability is never put to the test.
I would have been watching PBS but my local station is on an endless "membership drive" which drives me up the wall.
So much for this week in TV.

Charlie

geeman
06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Given the short amount of time available to write,produce,and put "it in the can" ,the newer network crime style shows are not so bad.Remember their taped at a much faster pace then say,as movie. Given that their not that bad.