PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Awards: A Contender If Not a Winner

Nicholas Carey
06-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Police: Man accidentally shot and killed himself after crash

May 31, 2006 - SALEM, Ore. - Police say a Salem man accidentally shot and killed himself Tuesday morning while he and his family were trying to climb out of a ravine after a car accident.

According to police, 38-year-old Vladimir Gorkavchenko was driving near Detroit early in the morning when he lost control of his minivan.

The car rolled multiple times, before coming to a rest at the bottom of a rocky embankment.

Gorkavchenko, his wife, and their daughter were uninjured in the crash.

Police say Gorkavchenko then removed a rifle from his van to take it with him as the three started climbing out of the ravine.

According to police, Gorkavchenko was using the rifle as a brace as he climbed and apparently slipped, causing the gun to fire a round that hit him in his thumb and his head.

It appears he died as a result of his injuries.

Detectives are continuing to investigate.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Phillip Allen
06-01-2006, 09:25 PM
He must have seen that trick in a John Wayne movie. For what it's worth, I used to teach the hunter safety course in my state and received the "causality" report every year. The absolutely most common shooting accident was from some nimno dragging his rifle toward his chest from the truck seat...by the barrel!

FGsimmons
06-02-2006, 06:39 AM
The was another on in Florida over the holliday weekend. A guy is playing with his R/C Boat, but it gets stuck out in the water. He gets on a inflatable boat to go get it. Another R/C boat puts a hole in his raft and it sinks and so does he.....he can't swim!

R/C boat broke
Raft hit by another R/C boat
Can't Swim...

I hate to laugh @ some poor guy, but WOW! What are the odds!

Dan McCosh
06-02-2006, 09:04 AM
My entry was a local guy last year who was in a car accident on an expressway overpass, driving in a convertible. The car flips, goes over the guardrail, and the car gets stuck on the rail, hanging in the air upside down. Having survived the crash, the guy then unbuckles his seat belt....

Milo Christensen
06-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Climbing out of a ditch near Detroit with a rifle in hand, somebody else woulda shot him if he didn't do it to himself first.