PDA

View Full Version : In some thread or another I noted a reference

Ed Harrow
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
to the gentlemanly style of Bruce Hooke. Anybody but me noticed his absence?

Bruce Taylor
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
I noticed he's been playing hookey (he he).

Meerkat
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes - I phoned him last week and he's taking a break from the forum in favor of more reality. ;)

Recently made a river run, so he's having fun! :)

From a recent email:

The Source to Sea trip went well overall, but it was exhausting. At times we were paddling across quiet, placid lakes. At other times we were hauling our canoes through brush and briars, or wading upstream hauling our canoes behind us, to get past obstacles and escape from unrunnable river channels. One day it took 5 hours to cover about 2 1/2 miles. Another day we went a similar distance in 2 hours. At the end of each day it was all I could do to jot down some notes so that I wouldn't forget key parts of each days story. So, the weblog is instead going to be a post-trip report. I'll let you know if and when I finally get it up on the web…

John of Phoenix
05-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank the gods! I thought a polar bear got you.

Bruce Hooke
05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Thank the gods! I thought a polar bear got you.

Yup, I've managed to dodge the polar bears so far!

Thanks, Ed, Bruce, Meerkat and John for thinking of me. As Meerkat noted, I've just decided to take a break from the forum for a bit. I realized that while I often felt like I was "fighting the good fight" around here and standing up for what I believed in, doing so was often adding stress to my life rather than removing it. So, I decided it was time to step away for a while and use my time in other ways.

There is also a lot going on in my life right now so I just don't have much time to spare for non-essentials.

However, I haven't vanished and will try to check in at least occassionally...

- Bruce

Fitz
06-01-2006, 05:38 AM
but now it seems he's been out canoe tripping!! Sounds like a great story - okay fess up. Where yah been?

Bruce Taylor
06-01-2006, 06:31 AM
I often felt like I was "fighting the good fight" around here and standing up for what I believed in

You've done a great job of standing up for what I believe in, too. You and Keith have saved me a lot of time in the past couple of years. ;)

I'm looking forward to reading your trip log. Where'd you go?

Bruce Hooke
06-01-2006, 08:07 AM
The canoe trip was a three day "Source to Sea" trip on the Woonasquatucket River, right here in Rhode Island. A trip log is in the works and I will post a note here when it goes up on our website. In the meantime, if you want to know more about the Woonasquatucket River you can pay a visit to the website of the Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council: http://www.woonasquatucket.org

P.S. Bruce (Taylor) - :D

Mrleft8
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
"Woonasquatucket River" Reminds me of something that William Least heat Moon wrote in "Blue Highways". Something about the length of the names of places, and the way those places are pronounced in Rhode Island...... "If Niagra falls was in Rhode Island, it would be pronounced "Nifuls".....:D