PDA

View Full Version : The power of ice

Dale R. Hamilton
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
So, Memorial day I'm out in the shop, and I smashed my finger with a large hammer. Did it a good one too. Instead of jumping around swearing, I immediately stuck my finger in a bag of ice. I happen to have a fridge in the shop- so I had it under ice within 30 seconds or less. I kept it in ice one hour. 48 hours later there is no swelling, a slight discoloration but no sign that I'm going to loose the nail, and no pain. Amazing how much tissue damage you can prevent with this simple solution.

Del Lansing
05-31-2006, 08:39 AM
It's the truth!! There ends up being two injuries, first the smash with the hammer, then the swelling itself causes injury. The damage from the swelling alone can equal or exceed the damage of the original injury. So the ice stops the swelling and about halves the total damage done. A corner of one of my thumbnails is gone from a good smack with a 3# hand-sledge. That didn't even start_really_start hurting for about an hour (when the swelling set in).

huisjen
05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Been there, done that, concur.

Dan

Gary E
05-31-2006, 03:18 PM
In 1970 our little Danny was 3 or 4 months old and in a carseat that was in the dinette on the boat. On the table was his bottle heating in one of those things that boils water, which he managed to pull over and douse his arm and the baby jumper or whatever it's called. He screamed, I saw what happened and grabbed a towel, into the ice chest with it and came out with a lot of ice, that got wrapped around the arm and then off to the hospital about a 5 min drive. The Doc's said the application of the ice saved him from a big scar and a lot of pain. Today not so little Dan looks like a pro football lineman and is 6'8 and close to 300Lbs.

Dale R. Hamilton
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow Gary- and you have to feed that!!!

huisjen
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
At 36 years old, I'd hope he's learned to be self sufficient.

Dan