PDA

View Full Version : Sailing Tomorrow For The 1st Time

Claudia
05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm excited:D Any getting seasick etiquette I should follow? (just in case):( I am thinking I should be OK since we are racing. I was told that all I have to do is sit and enjoy the ride. I am assuming that means the boat will be moving most of the time and not doing a lot of rocking. RIGHT? I have done a lot of deep sea and flats fishing in the past, so the quiet and not smelling fumes is a new experience:)

Phillip Allen
05-27-2006, 07:36 PM
throw up overboard...that said, falling overboard is not good etiquette...it makes your crew lose the race

oh yeah...I doubt it's quiet

S/V Laura Ellen
05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Enjoy yourself!

Watch out for the boom. If someone yells when you are jibbing or tacking --- duck, ask questions later.

BrianW
05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not a sailor, but I would imagine puking downwind and as far aft as possible might score some points? You could choose a location in plain view of another boats crew, and hopefully start a slew of symapthy puking on the other boat.

Offer to chip in for gas. It's a sailboat, so that should be cheap. ;)

botebum
05-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Might not apply to well to racing, but when I go to the Gulf Stream on a head boat(lots of time on the hook) I take two Bonine the night before when I go to bed, one Bonine when I get up, and slam two frosty beers as soon as the boat leaves the dock. I then drink enough beer to maintain that same fuzzyness all day. I can't remember ever getting seasick.;)
Have a great time. Best thing to ward off seasickness is busy, busy and attitude. Really.

Doug

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-27-2006, 08:05 PM
You need to come out on a big ole stinkpot sweety:D

Meerkat
05-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Relax and enjoy the ride? Riiiiight! :D

You, my dear, are what is affectionatly known as "rail meat." You will be asked to sit on the windward side with your legs over the edge and to quickly scramble to the other side when the "uphill" side changes.

This is at odds with chumming ettiquete, which calls for blowing your chunks over the lee ("downhill") side! ;) :D

BTW, take Ginger Ale and saltines in case you do suffer from Mal De Mer. ;)

Towel, sunblocker and your damned SUNGLASSES are also de rigeur! :)

Oh yes: don't go below if at all possible. It enhances the possibility of contracting the "wish I was dead" malady! ;)

Tar Devil
05-27-2006, 10:37 PM
don't go below if at all possible.

What David said... stay on deck!

One more thing - and this is most important - TAKE PLENTY OF PICTURES!

Have fun!

Phil

Mrleft8
05-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Keep yer nose in the wind, and yer eyes on the horizon and you'll do just fine.
Ever wonder why dogs like to hang their heads out of the car window at 60MPH? It isn't cuz they're sniffing for critters.

paladin
05-28-2006, 12:10 AM
and get a bungee cord for the sunglasses.....:D

John B
05-28-2006, 12:38 AM
and the hat.

Don Kurylko
05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh yeah, and sit behind the biggest, fattest guy on the rail so that he gets all the spray from the bow waves and you stay dry! Great windbreak too, if itís cold. Have fun and donít worry about seasickness. It only affects those who worry too much!

Concordia...41
05-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Not only is she going sailing, she's going for a walk on the wild side ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid180/p45e7930f9703101801a1309d938c6eef/f2fa060b.jpg

ishmael
05-28-2006, 04:52 AM
I don't get seasick, or at least never have so far. Learning windward and lee is a good idea, in any case. As Jim Croce once said, you don't piss into the wind.

Other than that, the basics are pretty simple. Learning how the wind interacts with what are wings. The more complex things like apparent wind, how the movement of the boat actually makes its own wind, can wait. Try to learn, your first day out, the points of sail and a modicum of compass. Pay attention to the telltales, and the wind, and the sails. Enjoy!

ishmael
05-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Oh, that is quite the introduction. On a boat like that there will be a lot going on. Winches grinding, people in charge calling commands, a general lack of peace. But there will be moments where the boat and the wind are just one. Pay attention in those moments. Not the best introduction, but it's still there.

Joe (SoCal)
05-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Ummmmm Ish you sound enraptured with sailing why don't you do it more ? You do have a boat don't you ? ;)

Claudia have a blast you will be fine take lots of pics.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Margo:

What kind of boat is that?

And yes I know its a sailboat!:D

Old Sailor
05-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Only time I ever got seasick was on a troop transport coming back from Germany. Someone said something in the mess line that triggered it.
Old Sailor

S/V Laura Ellen
05-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Bury the rail, hold on tight and have fun. It should be better than a carnival ride if the wind is up.:D

ishmael
05-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Joe,

I was sailing when you were a gleam in your parent's eye. It's great stuff, ain't it? Why bring in the bully boy act? Claudia just wants to know about sailing. I don't think going out on a big boat is the best way to learn, but you can learn a lot no matter the boat if it's got sails.

Claudia
05-28-2006, 08:19 AM
The boat is an HC 50 modeled after the original Hunters Child.
Dave - sunglasses are packed! The camera, along with extra film is ready to go as I sit here listening to thunder:D

Mrleft8
05-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Don't forget to put a leash on your sunglasses. Even a few rubber bands tied together will work in a pinch... Don't worry about the thunder. That mast'll act like a lightning rod and you won't feel a thing! ;)

geeman
05-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Here yall are going sailing,,while wifey and I both have to work.Enjoy every minute of your day Claudia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bamamick
05-28-2006, 03:17 PM
My advice: do not eat anything heavy or greasy before you go. When I used to race offshore I would try to be careful what I had to eat before going out. Once I was on the boat I could pretty much eat anything.

If you start feeling unwell concentrate on the horizon and try to stay active. Do NOT go below and lie down. Never do that. Just stay on deck and breathe the good fresh air.

You have been on boats before so you're not one of those 'knee-jerk pukers'. Sorry to be crude but I have seen people get sick by walking onto a boat. It would take a little bit of sea for you to find your 'illness rythym' as a friend calls it. You should be fine. Don't let anyone give you a patch to put on. There used to be a black-market for those things and you'd always have one guy on the boat wanting to give everyone one of them. If you're worried you might want to take a Dramamine one hour before you leave. My wife would sometime do this.

I have been seasick twice. Once was offshore racing in 60-70 knots. I had injured my hand pretty badly and I think that that's what got me going. The other time was when I was a kid fishing with my father and it blew up pretty badly. Motor boats do not do that well in a wallowing sea. The other couple of thousand times out I have been just fine. Odds are you will be as well.

Have a great time. You won't get sick. What you will get is bruised. You will find that boats are pretty unyielding beasts and that when you get home after racing that you're going to need a long soak in a hot tub. But the feeling of contentment that you get in the tub is all part of the fun, too. Let us know how it goes?

Mickey Lake

botebum
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Ish, I wouldn't sail with you on a bet. While the captain is giving orders in a difficult situation, you'd be reflecting on the significance of a cat in the relationships in an ocean-going society of single-wide living chipmunk hermits. ie:I don't want to drown with you.

Doug

Katherine
05-28-2006, 04:41 PM
So Claudia, how did it go?

S/V Laura Ellen
05-28-2006, 04:57 PM
If the race is over, they are probably still conducting post race review and analysis (wobbly pops in the bar).