PDA

View Full Version : No wonder...

George.
05-27-2006, 09:16 AM
So many people supported the invasion of Iraq as retribution for the attacks in New York. Most Americans don't know where either place is:

A survey released this month by National Geographic showed that 60 percent of college-age Americans couldn't find Iraq on a map, while half couldn't find New York State.

geeman
05-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Hear that drum?

Rick Clark
05-27-2006, 10:54 AM
That is why the people need to vote on going to war and not leaving it up to one nut( that has been cracked).:)

geeman
05-27-2006, 10:58 AM
The average Brazilian can answer that same question correctly?Do you have a study reflecting that?Show a study please.

George.
05-27-2006, 11:04 AM
The average Brazilian can find on a map any country that Brazil has invaded and occupied, and any state where there has been a terrorist attack... ;)

geeman
05-27-2006, 11:07 AM
study please,,you qouted your opinion.

Paul Girouard
05-27-2006, 11:19 AM
So many people supported the invasion of Iraq as retribution for the attacks in New York. Most Americans don't know where either place is:

George the survey you posted says ," of college-age Americans"
It does not say most Americans , and as well all should know a poll / survey can say just about any thing the poller / surveyer wants it to say by targeting a specific group and also by how the poll / question is posed / prosed.

Also to point out most "college -aged Americans ", who are not attending college MTL are not active in the voting process.

You have a great day George :)

Remember it's Memorial day / weekend here in the states , if that matters to you at all:rolleyes:

Paul

PS Please refrain from calling me a fool this time ;-)

Phillip Allen
05-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't find fault with Georges survey...I think this country is remiss in education...hell, I suspect many couldn't find Africa on the map...Universities have become bastions of ignorance...technical training centers but not centers of education. The university commons are a gathering point for professors waving political banners...rectitude (newly found) seems to be seated with those professors too old to hold sway with those young coeds sitting bare-kneed on the front row.

Paul Girouard
05-27-2006, 12:31 PM
...I think this country is remiss in education...hell, I suspect many couldn't find Africa on the map...Universities have become bastions of ignorance...technical training centers but not centers of education.

I agree Phillip , heck I'm just a simple old carpenter , 12 grade education . Just ask most folks to name the six New England states , you'll get all sorts of answers , most will include NY or NJ :rolleyes:

George's point is to always to point out USA failings IMO.

And it is his right to do so. If we are world leaders we have to do it better / cleaner / cooler than every one else.

But also he must remember Americans are first humans , errors well be made , corrective action , when required well be taken. That still does not insure everyone will be pleased ;)

Thats just the way it is. Perfection is not obtainable, always a goal , but never reached.

Meerkat
05-27-2006, 02:23 PM
The average Brazilian can find on a map any country that Brazil has invaded and occupied, and any state where there has been a terrorist attack... ;)
Presumably they can identify the province where the recent thug attacks/prisoner attacks took place? What about the border problems between Brazil and her neighbors?

Meerkat
05-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Thats just the way it is. Perfection is not obtainable, always a goal , but never reached. While there may be room for improvement, perfection is all around you in every moment. Imperfection is an excuse.

Paul Girouard
05-27-2006, 02:33 PM
While there may be room for improvement, perfection is all around you in every moment. Imperfection is an excuse.

Yes in that God is all around us / me . But can you elabrorate on what you see as "perfect" that man has touched? Alaskaway via duct, I-5 by the U district?

George.
05-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Presumably they can identify the province where the recent thug attacks/prisoner attacks took place? What about the border problems between Brazil and her neighbors?

We don't have provinces, and we don't have border problems with any of our neighbors. :p

Meerkat
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
We don't have provinces, and we don't have border problems with any of our neighbors. :pNit picker! :P

Meerkat
05-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes in that God is all around us / me . But can you elabrorate on what you see as "perfect" that man has touched? Alaskaway via duct, I-5 by the U district? Try imagining that everything around you, everything that's going on around you is perfect. It is tough when you've been brought up with the falacious notion that man and all his works are imperfect.