PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 94

J. Dillon
05-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I got one that needs reblueing. I was told not to do it as it is worth quite a few bucks as it is. It is about 56 years old and in good shape except for some rust here and there. (kept on the boat ....big mistake). It's chambered for 32 cal Winchester special. Should I leave it alone or get it to a gun smith for reblueing ?

JD

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1299/winchester1close8in.jpg

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7346/winchester22pl.jpg

BrianW
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
I do believe the model 94 is one of the models that was manufactured at the now closed New Haven plant. If you haven't heard, Winchester has gone belly up. Your rifle is now worth much more than it was last year. Any reblueing will probably reduce the value.

geeman
05-22-2006, 11:53 PM
I wouldnt touch it,,leave it as is .Maybe oil it up good and let it go at that.

paladin
05-23-2006, 05:27 AM
That weapon probably cost around 50-60 bucks new, and the round was made for the Mounties, who thought .30 caliber (as in .30-30) was a bit small....First produced in 1894 as the first production smokeless powder firearm.....probably worth 300/350-500 bucks now.....

cs
05-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Although I wouldn't want to ruin the gun, I would want to protect it from further deterioration.

Chad

rbhawk
05-23-2006, 06:41 AM
You may want to take it to a gunsmith for a professional cleaning. They'll break it down and clean it good, and lube it.

I'd say the rebluing is a matter of personal preference. There are still a lot of pre-64 Winchester 94's around, and I think people want them more because of the way they're built than because of the way they look. After '64, they weren't built to the same standards.

Phillip Allen
05-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Pre '64 all internal parts were forged and or milled. In 1964 the college boys then working figured the customer didn't know the difference and re-designed it to use the simplest stamping possible. Well, they were wrong and sales plummeted. I don't know the year it was re-re-designed but it was and the new ones are alright (not stampings but investment cast) The easy way to tell if you have a bad one (the 1964 design) is open the action and see if the cartridge lifter is a stamping...it will be obvious)

Your 56 year old rifle is defiantly pre ’64 and somewhat desirable to collectors as a result (there are a lot of pre ‘64’s to choose from for the serious collector). The 32 special caliber is not particularly unusual…there were a lot in 30-30, 32 spec and 35 Rem made in the fifties…I think there were probably a lot of other calibers if you go back far enough..

To the rust…get a good ordinary gun solvent like Hoppy’s #9 and saturate a piece of flannel with it and rub it into the rusty spots well then cover with something like RIG grease as applied by a RIG-rag (directions on package). Re-treat the rusty spots several times during the year and do nothing else unless you are shooting it.

If you want to maximize the collector value add a letter with all the stories you can find about it including who bought it, when he bought it and what was paid if possible…without the pedigree it is just another Winchester rifle.