PDA

View Full Version : About that new Iraqi government...

George.
05-21-2006, 10:38 AM
This was supposed to be a sovereign government - a sine qua non condition for an end to the war and a US withdrawal. Instead, we get this:

BAGHDAD, Iraq, May 20 As Iraq's new government was announced Saturday, some senior American military and civilian officials watched from the sidelines, apprehensive that they were witnessing what might be the last chance to save the American enterprise in Iraq from a descent into chaos and civil war.
This time, American officials played a muscular role in vetting and negotiating over the new cabinet. Dismayed at what they have described as the Jaafari government's incompetence, American officials reversed the hands-off approach that characterized American policy as Mr. Jaafari formed his cabinet in early 2005.
The failure to win the agreement of top Sunni and Shiite party leaders on the interior, defense and national security posts was an embarrassing blow, emphasizing the gulf between Iraq's two main communities on the crucial issues of sectarian bloodletting and the Sunni-led insurgency.
Much of the American effort has gone into attempting to ensure that capable ministers take over at what the Americans call the "sovereign ministries" of oil, electricity, finance, justice, foreign affairs, and, crucially, interior and defense.
In recent months, new efforts have been made to assign American advisers to key ministries, and American commanders have scoured their own ranks for officers with appropriate skills, seconding them to the ministries.

If they were going to set up a puppet government, with ministers vetted by Americans and beholden to American "advisers" - the same old model of proxy control favored by the US and the USSR during the Cold War - why bother with all the elections and constitutional assemblies? Why not just appoint a new dictator right after the invasion? The Iraqi people would probably have preferred it that way - it might have kept their country from sliding so far into chaos as it has over the past three years.

Paul Girouard
05-21-2006, 10:45 AM
It's been what , two days, Gee George give it a little time .

IIRC no one said it would easy, if it was the UN or Brazil could of handled it:rolleyes:

BTW I did not read all of your post , don't need to as it's is just more of the same.

Cleaned up those prison riots / thrugs running gangs for jail cell issues yet ?

geeman
05-21-2006, 10:47 AM
LOL Paul

George.
05-21-2006, 11:34 AM
IIRC no one said it would easy, if it was the UN or Brazil could of handled it:rolleyes:

It was much easier when the UN and Brasil were handling it - it was Saddam's problem, not ours, and most of his people lived safer lives with more electricity.

BTW I did not read all of your post , don't need to as it's is just more of the same.

I figured as much... that is typical of your kind. A similar argument was used to burn down the library at Alexandria - and I don't mean Virginia.

Cleaned up those prison riots / thrugs running gangs for jail cell issues yet ?

Just for you, I gave an update in the appropriate thread. I dare you to post an intelligent comment there, if you can.

And finally...

FONT=Comic Sans MS

Very appropriate... :D

Paul Girouard
05-21-2006, 11:58 AM
It was much easier when the UN and Brasil were handling it - it was Saddam's problem, not ours, and most of his people lived safer lives with more electricity.

I figured as much... that is typical of your kind. A similar argument was used to burn down the library at Alexandria - and I don't mean Virginia.

Just for you, I gave an update in the appropriate thread. I dare you to post an intelligent comment there, if you can.

And finally...

Very appropriate... :D

Yes My Lord , Bash on , it's your storey tell it how you like it.:rolleyes:

I'm sure your sure your right. In what ever font you desire:rolleyes: Like I said This fools got to go to work.
Have a great day doing what you do George . What ever floats your boat:rolleyes:

Over and out :rolleyes:

Memphis Mike
05-21-2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.combat-fishing.com/poprc.gif

George.
05-21-2006, 01:13 PM
If the actions of your government embarass some of you so much, why not press for policy changes, rather than attempt to stifle discussion with changes of subject and silly graphics?

George.
05-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Can't let this one pass...

IIRC no one said it would easy...

Your Secretary of Defence did, among others. And he is still in office...

paladin
05-21-2006, 01:56 PM
welll......I sorta look at this way......right or wrong we try to vote in the dudes who we think will do right...sometimes we're wrong....
But when we want them out we usually (I did say USUALLY) we VOTE them out of office...
But in central and south america it's sorta a democracy too in that anyone can be prez...in fact nearly everyone has...but when they want a change south of the border, they just shoot the sitting prez...in 300 years of history it's happened NUMEROUS times more than the U.S.....:D

George.
05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Not in Brazil. We had one removed from office by a military coup (supported by the US), and one impeached for corruption. One shot himself in office, but none were shot by third parties - not even the one deposed by the military.

The US, on the other hand, has had no less than four sitting presidents assassinated, and has arranged the assassination of an unknown number of foreign leaders...

Kim Whitmyre
05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
George, when the Americans say sovereign , they mean sovereign to them. . .;)