Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan McCosh
    • Mar 2001

Attack of the alligators

What's making the Florida alligators so uppity?
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

I seem to have missed all the reports...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

It was reported that during mating season they're aggressive and they don't eat as much. Horny and hungry.

I guess we'd all be a little cranky.

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
        • Aug 2002

The illegal immigrants are feeding them crack cocaine. It's a big conspiracy of terrorists.
        Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

• Dan McCosh
          • Mar 2001

There have been about three people killed this week--mainly hikers and joggers.

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
            • Aug 2002

Oh dear. Sorry. I was just thinking about how odd it would be to get used to seeing alligators.
            Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
              • Jun 2001

Only 17 fatal attacks have been reported since 1948 but three in the last week.

On Sunday afternoon, friends of Annemarie Campbell found her inside the mouth of an alligator during a snorkeling trip near Ocala National Forest in the central part of the state, according to Heather Danenhower, a spokeswoman for the Marion County fire and rescue department.

The friends said they jumped on the alligator until it opened its mouth and released Ms. Campbell, 23, of Paris, Tenn. They took her to shore, where she was pronounced dead.

Also on Sunday, the body of Judy W. Cooper, 43, was found in a canal in Pinellas County, about 120 miles southwest of Ocala. Her upper body had bite marks consistent with those made by an alligator, according to the local medical examiner's office.

Last week, Yovy Suarez Jiménez, 28, died when an alligator apparently attacked her as she jogged near a canal in the South Florida city of Sunrise. Ms. Jiménez was dragged into the canal, according to the medical examiner who performed the autopsy.

Both of Ms. Jiménez's arms were severed, and she had bites to her back and right leg. A 10-foot alligator believed to have attacked her was later found and killed.

Comment

• George.
                • Aug 2004

Wild critters learn that humans are yummy, without teeth or claws nor horn nor hide.

Comment

• TomF
                  Recalcitrant Heretic
                  • Jun 2003

Does indeed sound grisly.

... one of my favourite Far Side cartoons was the 2 polar bears talking as they break into an igloo...

"Man I love these things. Hard crunchy outside, soft chewy centre ..."
                  If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Tristan
                    • Nov 2004

When I was a kid alligators were not considered very dangerous. I routinely swam in canals where they lived, often caught small ones. As the human population has grown and moved into their territories individual gators have lost their fear of man. Fifty years ago I recall a big gator grabbing a park ranger's foot as he stepped off the dock into his boat at Coot Bay Pond (Everglades Park). Fortunately the ranger got away and we didn't think much about it. Big gators bite and roll, twisting off what they have in their teeth. Not a fun thing if they have your arm. Ten years ago we had an elderly Miccosukee Indian lady in the hospital minus an arm. She'd been washing clothes in a canal when a gator took her arm. As I recall, she was 90 yrs old, tough as nails. Years ago a friend of mine, actually Janet Reno's baby brother Mark, used to "wrestle" alligators at a Miccosukee village. Got his hand crunched by a small gator. The hand swelled up like a catcher's mitt. Gave me pause to think about swimming with them.

Comment

• Tristan
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TomF
                      Does indeed sound grisly.

... one of my favourite Far Side cartoons was the 2 polar bears talking as they break into an igloo...

"Man I love these things. Hard crunchy outside, soft chewy centre ..."
                      Or the two crocodiles reclining on the beach of a lake, nearby a chewed up kayak. ONe says to the other, "Man, that was good, no scales or fins, just soft and tender all over." (or something like that). Not so funny though, when one considers the number of people in Australia, etc. who are killed by crocs each year.

Comment

• PatCox
                        • Mar 2002

I have heard that hippos are the most deadly animal in africa, kill more people. Aint that strange?

Comment

• Katherine
                          Too Young to be a Senior
                          • Sep 2004

Suddenly the great out doors doesn't seem so great.
                          Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• Stiletto
                            • Jan 2003

The three examples I heard of were all women.
                            I wonder if they were menstruating.
                            There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Comment

• Tristan
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Stiletto
                              The three examples I heard of were all women.
                              I wonder if they were menstruating.
                              INteresting thought, but I believe At least one appeared to be dangling her feet in the water. My experience with alligators is that they are attracted to movement at the water's surface. I used to catch babies by standing in water up to my nose and bringing my wiggling fingers to the water surface out in front of me. Baby gators would come right over to investigate. When they got close I could reach upl underneath them with the other hand and grab them. I never kept any, just had fun grabbing them. Never encountered any big gators that way, but they could be enticed close by splashing one's hand in the water at the edge of the canal or whatever. I once accidentlyl walked up onto a nest and the mama came out of the water and onto the nest hissing like a steam engine. I sh-t my pants and backed up about 100 feet a bit faster than the speed of light.

Comment

Working...