PDA

View Full Version : Help with planking

rregge
02-22-2004, 10:40 PM
I am building Iain Oughtred's Arctic Tern. 18' plywood double-ender.

Do most people find it is necessary to make a pattern for the plywood planks, or can they layout measure and cut the finish plywood? (6mm sappele)

Iain said he no longer used bronve nails into the stem and keelson, only epoxy, any advice or thoughts for a first time builder.

Thanks for the help

Russell

imported_Steven Bauer
02-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Make a pattern for each plank. One cool way is to use two flexible battens with some crosspieces to hold them in shape. Like a truss.

For pictures go to Dale's Alistego site. www.alistego.com (http://www.alistego.com)
Then go to the planking section. You can get lots of other good tips by looking around his site.

Steven

JimD
02-23-2004, 12:18 AM
I made patterns for a dinghy with 1/8 inch hardboard then traced them onto the real (expensive) wood. As for glue only I'd still use metal fasteners of some sort.

HR
02-23-2004, 07:34 AM
I used the "truss" method pointed out above for my Eun Mara. The only caveat is to be very careful that the two long battens of the truss are tied together by enough cross pieces that they don't shift when you remove them from the boat.

Also, for the first couple of planks, I used the truss to make a hardboard template and made sure that it fit before cutting the plywood until I was comfortable with the method. Suspenders and belt approach.

imported_Steven Bauer
02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Good idea, HR, I think I'll borrow that slight modification. Especially since the first strakes tend to have more twist in them to complicate matters.

Steven