PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Floods, a Flash animation

High C
05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.nola.com/katrina/graphics/flashflood.swf

Harry Miller
05-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks isn't the right word but I'm glad you put this up.
What do you think should be done?

High C
05-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks isn't the right word but I'm glad you put this up.
What do you think should be done?

Harry, the problem has to be admitted by those who caused it, and responsibility taken accordingly. To a limited extent this is happening. The US Army Corps of Engineers designed and had built all of these failed levees. They dug the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet Canal and the Intracoastal Waterway, which funneled flood water into Eastern New Orleans. They leveed in the Mississippi River which has directly caused the loss of 50 miles (inland!) of coast. All of it done to maintain usability of the Mississippi River, an obviously crucial national interest.

This legitimate national interest has severely damaged this area, and responsibility to repair it must be placed squarely on those who caused it. The Corps is taking on this responsibility, to a degree. They are actively repairing the city's levees to at least the level of effectiveness they were before Katrina, but they are not repairing the lost marshlands. There are folks who have figured out how to do this, and some small areas have been re-marshed in recent years, so confidence is high that these techniques do work. It is a matter, of course, of paying for it.

Were Louisiana to simply get the same share of offshore oil drilling revenue that other states get, we could easily finance these things ourselves. But the Feds struck a deal with Louisiana many years ago that allows them to pay us nothing in royalties, even though other states get half of the value of those resources. It's a very long story how that came to be, part of it being the fact that Louisiana came into the nation via the Louisiana Purchase and not as a sovreign state, though there's much more to it. This is a big part of the reason why Louisiana is so poor, our most valuable natural resource is taken without compensation.

If the Feds recognize both their responsibility for the damage done to the lower part of this state, and rectify the unjust uncompensated taking of our oil, we could solve this problem. It's in the works. The wheels are turning, slowly, but it 's by no means a certainty.

John of Phoenix
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
They are actively repairing the city's levees to at least the level of effectiveness they were before Katrina, but they are not repairing the lost marshlands.

Which means NOLA could flood again and hence the reluctance of many to return and/or rebuild. Understandable.

Good luck on repairing the marshes.

Nifty graphic.

High C
05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Which means NOLA could flood again and hence the reluctance of many to return and/or rebuild. Understandable.
...Nifty graphic.

That is exactly the case. And yep, for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is a very well done graphic representation of the flooding as it unfolded.

Phil Heffernan
05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Fascinating, thanks High C

PH

Meerkat
05-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Reminds me that I never got those flood DVD's...

Phil Heffernan
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll add it to the list of things I mean to do... And WILL do, eventually ;)

PH

Meerkat
05-16-2006, 07:46 PM
No offense, but my fuse is shorter than yours. ;)

Phil Heffernan
05-16-2006, 09:31 PM
OK OK, I'll head to the Post Office tomorrow...

PS, How do you KNOW your fuse is shorter??

Osborne Russell
05-17-2006, 01:03 PM
If the Feds recognize both their responsibility for the damage done to the lower part of this state, and rectify the unjust uncompensated taking of our oil, we could solve this problem. It's in the works. The wheels are turning, slowly, but it 's by no means a certainty.

Sounds like a job for the Chimperor. Now that he can imagine the levees being breached, he can probably imagine cutting federal spending on unnecessary war and pork barrelling, to make up for the money the federal government would lose by ceasing to take Louisiana's oil.

Now that would be strong leadership.